News on the Doctor Who front

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Cary Bleasdale

Postby Cary Bleasdale » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:31 pm

*SPOILERS SPOILERS*

First off, I saw most of them in Scotland-but the BBC offers free download of the episodes that last 30 days, or just watching it online for a week. However, I think you have to be in the UK- although I'm sure there is a program out there to confuse your IP adress so you can get it over here.

I feel a lot differently about watching, say Dr. Who on youtube than I do other shows. Other shows need me to watch, so I see ads, so they get revenue. The Govt. funded BBC doesn't need that.

Tennant has so far proven himself to be my favorite Doctor, followed closely by Eccleston and Tom Baker. Each of them plays/ed the manic elements of the Doctor...The explanation of Eccleston's anger in "Journey's End" is appropriate and good.

I'm incredibly fond of Tennant. My favorite moment is in The Girl in the Fireplace, when he wanders in, apparently drunk off his ass, and delivers a great little monologue about the french. He plays the Doctor as 1/2 actually crazy, 1/2 guy desperately running away from his past. Tennant manages to actually play emotional, incredibly well.

Eccleston is just awesome. C'mon. The Doctor in a Leather Jacket? Seriously, all he needs is a motorcycle.

I agree. The constant "we're just friends" was getting annoying.

I really saw nothing wrong with Rose falling for the Doctor. I actually really liked the character. I saw nothing wrong with the nature of their relationship being explored-although I think Davies chickened out- BOTH times. But seriously. Why not a guy on the ship? I mean, even Sarah Jane was ret-conned into having fallen in love with the Doctor (and given that she started out with Three, thats a bit....creepy....)

The River Song thing was just...odd. Although, I think they're looking to wrap up two older plot holes-where in hell Susan came from, and how is the Doctor 1/2 human.

One thing I love about the New series is that they actually take time to look at the philosophical questions about timey-wimey balls and past and future. But-snapping the finger to open the TARDIS? That was cooool.

I can see the analog they're pushing for, but I agree it's not working as well as it should be. I'm a little tired of the writers giving The Doctor lines that indicate he's hugely egotistical, both in his appearance and his intellect.

Yes, but some of them are good. (" I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old, and I'm the man who's gonna save your lives...that was cool. Cheesy, but cool) Also, I think they're focusing more on that he doesn't just 'fall' into these situations-hes there because he's the only one who can help.

Man, I'm really turning into a Whovian aren't I? I think thats enough geekout for the moment.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:04 pm

Actually, my favorite "Ain't I bitchin'?" speech this season was from Forest of the Dead.

"Don't play games with me! You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand! I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the Universe. Look me up."

Very direct, and much funnier than usual.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:08 pm

You know what, I think I'm reacting to the previous episode, Midnight, which was quite good but he repeatedly told people how "clever" he was -- and his "cleverness" was the main reason they should all listen to him.

Maybe I just overdosed.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm

Alright, here I am, sorry I'm late, here are MY thoughts, which I know you've been awaiting so eagerly:

(And before anyone asks, I buy all the DVD sets, and the toys as well, so full penance will be done should any lapses have occured. Which I deny vehemently)

Hmmm. Where begin?

(And yes, I suppose these represent SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! Though aside from the obvious one, there aren't too many.)

Stolen Earth was not so much an episode as a convention. They stuffed in every recurring character of the Davies era, and then some, throwing in the biggest Dalek invasion yet, and an old-school villain for good measure. A chill ran down my spine when the Daleks' first transmission came through. The characters genuinely seemed terrified, and that was nice to see.
Only one monster could have that kind of impact. In the Davies' universe, they're definately the top of the monster food-chain, and for an episode of this nature (sentimental retrospective), a well established enemy with good bad-guy credentials works best. Doctor Who monster is a job, much like the civil service or a large corporation. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up to season-finale caliber.

The cliffhanger between "Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End" was the biggest cop-out in television history. I don't think anyone seriously expected them to ditch Tennant mid-episode (keeping that a secret would have been tougher than faking a moon landing), but once a regeneration is promised, it has to be delivered. Throwing it out there as a cliffhanger, hinting at something that was never going to happen is a cheap way to generate suspense, and makes asses of the audience.

I don't like being played with or manipulated.

What else?

The Jesus paralells are indeed annoying (especially a show that once might have been sponsored by Junior Skeptic magazine), but I didnt' think them as blatant this time around.

Of all the old school villains, Davros has definately been treated with the most repsect. I mean, with the Master turned into a cackling idiot, the Cybermen upstaged by the Daleks, and the Daleks themselves sharing the stage with pigmen and Broadway dance numbers, Davros was the picture of dignity, ressurected intact and untampered with from Genesis fo the Daleks. His scenes with the Doctor were far more dramatic than any of those stupid tangos with the Master.

I am pleased as punch, delighted, ecstatic, cheered-to-no-end that the Rose subplot has been shut down. I never really liked her character, and despised the romantic overtones she brought in. Basically, I never saw the logic of a 900 hundred year old alien falling for a teenaged mall-rat (kind of like Yoda falling for Luke). Especially when he's had so many opportunites in the past, with, frankly, more interesting characters.

The "human Doctor" twist seemed an ingenious way to have it both ways, but you'd be amazed how many Billie Piper fans felt cheated! Nuts to them I say: for once the old-schoolers have our way.

I will miss Donna's granddad probably more than Donna herself. That old codger was such a blast, and erasing all his vicarious experiences just broke my heart.

And finally, where did Rose and Micky get their fancy guns and why couldn't the Cybermen get a couple of these?

Possibly my favorate of the season finales (this, or season 1), cop-outs notwithstanding.
[/i]

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:40 pm

I believe THE STOLEN EARTH/JOURNEY'S END will be this generation's RESURRECTION OF THE DALEKS. Everybody's gushing over it now, of course, but five or ten years down the line, the same people will look at it and say, "Oh wait. This is a total piece of shit. Huh."

It's always a delight to see Davros again. Julian Bleach's performance was a cool blend of Michael Wisher's quiet, calculating evil and Terry Molloy's cackling megalomania. It's a shame that most of his screen-time was sabotaged by a script that stuffed in too many goddamn characters. Maybe RTD was subconsciously frustrated that the lack of legs prevented Davros from dancing to a Scissor Sisters number? :roll:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:46 pm

Hey, I STILL like "Resurection of the Daleks".

I rather hope "Partners in Crime" is reevaluated in just such a way. All the online raves have soured me on fandom forever.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Oh! Resurection of the Daleks! I thought you mean Revelation of the Daleks, which nobody ever liked. Except me. Yeah, "Resurection" was weak.

Cary Bleasdale

Postby Cary Bleasdale » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Maybe RTD was subconsciously frustrated that the lack of legs prevented Davros from dancing to a Scissor Sisters number?

You know, I actually thought that kind of worked. I was watching some older portrayals of the master-and I thought that rather insanely surreal bit helped the character. He's not just meglomanical, or wants to conquer the universe. He's FUCKING CRAZY! Nuts! Out of his gourd! He won't just fuck you up-he'll dance around to horrible music, THEN fuck you up.

And I think that Davros was the one villian who could really get away with manic laughter. On anyone else it sounds a bit stupid, but if creating the Daleks doesn't give you manical laughter privilages, what does?

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Oh! Resurection of the Daleks! I thought you mean Revelation of the Daleks, which nobody ever liked. Except me. Yeah, "Resurection" was weak.

Oh, I totally dug "Revelation". The beautifully sick idea of processing human remains into newborn Daleks is quintessential Davros goodness.

Return to “Pop Culture”