Yet Another Time Travelling Detective Series

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Yet Another Time Travelling Detective Series

Postby kevinkirby » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Life on Mars, the subject of this post, turned out to be fairly entertaining. A guy the present somehow gets stuck in the seventies with Harvey Keitel, where the current mode of "bodywatch" stuff -- up-close, medical examiners' forensics details -- gets transferred into a simpler time, when gas was cheap and Reagan was just a California memory. I like the look of this show, something out of an R-rated movie from the seventies but with a more sympathetic look at the "bad guys" from that time period. Hopefully future episodes will turn out to be quality productions and not toss-offs.

paul

Re: Yet Another Time Travelling Detective Series

Postby paul » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:45 pm

kevinkirby wrote:A guy the present somehow gets stuck in the seventies with Harvey Keitel, where the current mode of "bodywatch" stuff -- up-close, medical examiners' forensics details -- gets transferred into a simpler time, when gas was cheap and Reagan was just a California memory.

I don't know which is more frightening:
The idea that people i know; intelligent, rational people, are crowing about finding gas for $2.90.
Or that I know what happens when Reagan is elected.
Or the idea that I could get stuck in time.
In the 70's, fer chrissakes.
With Harvey Keitel.

Keitel. With all the cocaine. The lax terrorist laws. No cameras in every building or on street corners. No cell phones (to speak of) to immediately get in touch with help if needed.

I'm a tough guy, and he would hurt me. Or at the least, show me his penis.
The horror.... the horror....
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:48 am

I dunno.

You have a solid job (apparently).

No cameras on every street corner.

You know what's coming and can invest in companies like Microsoft and Apple.

Get on airliners without standing in a two hour line.

Buy cheap property in south Orange County.

Have drinks at lunch.

Have only four or five stations to choose from, but have shows like Bob Newhart and All in the Family and Starsky and Hutch to choose from.

Drive a car around town with no fear your phone would ring.

Get really bad cups of coffee in cheap donut houses instead of a latte at Starbuck's.

Get 25 cent triple ice cream cones at Thrifty's.

Eat real food.

Find something better to do with my time than entering useless lists on an internet forum page.

Find a way to sneak illicit drugs into George "dubya" Bush's beer and get him a drug test while he's flying. (Sending a copy to the nearest paper, for release decades later.)

Wake up and discover "it was only a dream" and that Toto has taken a leak at the end of the bed.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:02 pm

Starsky and Hutch?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:42 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Starsky and Hutch?

Well, yeah. Life on Mars owes something to the (original) boys.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:29 pm

I watched the original show in the UK and thought it was wonderful. I did hear there was a US version but dont know too much about it. The BBC however did a follow on series called Ashes To Ashes, set int he 1980's but with a female transported back in time, and also starring the great Gene Hunt character, who was so politically incorrect in Life On Mars

kevinkirby

Ahh, So It's All Done With Mirrors...and Robots

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Was there a UK version of this show? After introducing the mysterious robots, last night, the narrative becomes even more intriguing. Was it all explained in the original production?

There will be a soundtrack Emmy, I venture.

David W. Pareis

Postby David W. Pareis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:07 am

There were no robots in the original UK series.
This show is a horrible knock-off of the original.
The only way to truly understand just how bad it is in comparison you would have to have seen the original version.
What's worst is the "writers" have half-ass copied the stories almost line for line from the UK version so for me it comes across as a bad parody of an excellent show.
Anybody who needs Bob Dylan to tell him which way the wind is blowing is a serious mental defective.

Sterling Morrison

Pablo picasso never got called an asshole
Not like you
jonathan richman

Return to “Pop Culture”