New Doctor Who News

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Alejandro Riera

New Doctor Who News

Postby Alejandro Riera » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Figured I post this here as well:

David Tennant announced tonight, during the National Television Awards in England, that he would leave Doctor Who after the 2009 specials.

Let the guessing game begin on who might be the next Doctor under the Moffat Regime.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Very sad news. Replacing Tennant will be the biggest challenge this new series has ever faced.

Let the guessing games begin.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:38 am

I'd love to see James Nesbitt (an oft-rumoured contender) as Doctor Who Mk. 11. On the other hand, Bill Nighy would bring a gravitas back to the the series not seen since Tom Baker's time.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, if Russell T. Davies was to do something as flat-out bizarre as regenerate the Doctor into a woman, I hope he at least hires a female thespian who has the remotest chance of pulling such an insane change to the lead character off. (I'm calling dibs on Tilda Swinton.)

I just hope RTD's departure also marks a farewell to the show's vaguely unnerving adoration of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:24 am

Love the new avatar Ben.

While I am disappointed with the news, Alejandro is right that the course seems to have been run on this incarnation. Tennant's a brilliant actor, but what began as an emergency measure -- to introduce an actor to a vacated role -- has become such a fundamental part of the character's fabric that it pulls the storyline along in and of itself.

Alex Kingston would make for a very evocative and provocative choice.

Nighy would be fascinating, but would he be up for it?

Also, what impact would the New Doctor have on TORCHWOOD?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 am

Actually Steve, that was W. Powell from Indiana who said that the series had run its course with David on board, yonder at the Forum.

I read over at Comicbookresources.com that Patterson Joseph (who did a brilliant turn as the Marquis de Carabas in the TV adaptation of "Neverwhere") was also being considered for the part. He was brilliant in "Neverwhere" and as the government baddie in Steven Moffat's "Jeckyll".

I've also heard David Morrisey's name bandied about, especially now that he is playing a "Doctor" in the new Christmas special titled, oddly enough, "The New Doctor". (Morrisey worked alongside Tennant in "Blackpool").

I don't think Nighy will be considered for the role. I think the Dr. Who production team will still try to skew young for the Doctor.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Howzabout Dr WHO regenerating as a...

WOMAN

:shock:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:21 pm

> "The prophets are prophesying lies in my name. I have not sent them
> or appointed them or spoken to them. They are prophesying to you
> false visions, and the delusions of their own minds."
> --Jeremiah 14:14

Yeah, but . . . Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Howzabout Dr WHO regenerating as a...

WOMAN

:shock:

Barber wrote:Alex Kingston would make for a very evocative and provocative choice.

And?

addlepate

Postby addlepate » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:46 pm

Stephen Fry.

Impossible, I know, but am I to be denied even the hope-against-hope?

Of course he and Jack would get along much better than previously. And if they could somehow return to the WWI era and meet up with Hugh Laurie - I smell cross-over! (it is a smell like when you leave ice-cream out of the fridge for an hour; pleasant, but frustrating.)

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:49 pm

Alejandro Riera wrote:I've also heard David Morrisey's name bandied about, especially now that he is playing a "Doctor" in the new Christmas special titled, oddly enough, "The New Doctor". (Morrisey worked alongside Tennant in "Blackpool").

coughredherringcough

swp

Postby swp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:09 pm

Jorge Garcia as the new doctor. dude.
or Eddie Izzard.
or Ralph Fiennes
or Alan Rickman
or Jude Law
or Billy Connolly
or Ewan McGregor
or William Shatner (yeah, get that image out of your head)

and how tired is it that for over 25 years people have been suggesting that a woman play the good doctor. you want creative? have him played by a telepathic talking dog. a pug.

or maybe, just maybe, if you are good, we'll get him played by John Cleese when seen from the left and Eric Idle when seen from the right. and Terry Gilliam when seen from behind. it'll make for some great camera work if nothing else. a fractured doctor, if you will.

just my 2 cents.
swp

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:33 pm

swp wrote: (yeah, get that image out of your head)

or:
peewee herman
shirley temple
ren or stimpy
"pinhead"

swp

Postby swp » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Forrest Whitaker would be great too. Samuel Jackson wouldn't.
swp

paul

Postby paul » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:52 pm

For some reason, as I imagine a dedicated, wildly erratic Doctor, I can't help but see Alexei Sayle doing it justice.
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:34 pm

I watched the season ending episode of Primeval today. The actor who portrays "Leek", Karl Theobald, would be an excellent one to play the next incarnation of The Doctor.

Return to “Pop Culture”