New Doctor Who News

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 am

Steve Evil wrote:I wouldn't put anything past RTD.

But Donna Noble?

I wouldn't be too concerned. Allegedly, the Doctor is going to suffer a "temporary regeneration" during one of the 2009 specials - or some such B.S. - into a woman, played by Jennifer Saunders.

This could be RTD's attempt to poke fun at all the stupid Whovians out there who actually believed such a blatantly daft idea. (And I'm sure the concept of cute white alien babies spawning from human body fat is completely and wholly un-daft.)

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Jennifer Saunders as the good doctor, uttering "sweetie-darling"would be worth the price of admission.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:02 pm

From the BBC News, via the Gallifrey One website:

Dec 9th
BBC News reports that David Tennant was unable to take part in last night's performance of the current Royal Shakespeare Company production of Hamlet at the Novello Theatre in London, due to what is described as "a long-standing back injury".

The play transferred to London last week following a successful run at Stratford-Upon-Avon. Tennant's understudy Edward Bennett took the role for last night's performance.

UPDATE: The Guardian and many other sources are reporting an official RSC press release that Tennant has not been well enough to resume the role for this evening's press night. The performance will once again see Bennett as Hamlet.

Dec 10th

BBC News, The Telegraph and many other media sources are reporting the Royal Shakespeare Company's press release that David Tennant will not be able to return to the role of Hamlet for the play's run at the Novello Theatre in London before Christmas. The Tenth Doctor actor will undergo surgery on Thursday for a back condition.

There is no news yet as to whether Tennant's injury will affect his participation in filming for Doctor Who from January. In Hamlet, his understudy Edward Bennett has won favourable reviews.

And as far as Jennifer Saunders? Nah. Joanna Lumley. SHE'D make a great Doctor!!!

(Or nurse...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Barber wrote:And as far as Jennifer Saunders? Nah. Joanna Lumley. SHE'D make a great Doctor!!!

(Or nurse...)

:D Can you just see her with a fag hanging out of her mouth, another unlit in her hand, completely pissed, slurring out "Cyberman? Cyberman? Think you can delete me, eh? Oh goarh (vomits at feet of metal man)"

Loving it!! ABSOLUTELY loving it!

Now, what about Dame Helen Mirren? OR for a total change of pace, Parminder Nagra, who played the Sikh girl in Bend it Like Beckham?
Post colonialism anyone? ;)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:33 pm

Joanna Lumley.... Oh wow. She would be amazing. Mind you I have had a soft spot for her since I was a kid watching Saffire and Steel. ANd the New Avengers of course. You just cant beat a bit of posh totty and that she most definitely is.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:44 pm

Stop that! Stop the sketch! It's getting far too silly.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:03 pm

The actor playing the eleventh Doctor will be announced tomorrow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/ne...090102_news_01

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:37 am

David Tennant refers to "the chap who is coming next", and "his life is about to change" in a promo run on the BBC yesterday.

Not Joanna Lumley.

:?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Well, they obviously decided to go with a fresh up-and-comer rather than an established thespian, which is pretty daring when you consider how youthful Matt Smith is (twenty-six; the youngest to take the role to date).

As for Mr. Smith, I've only seen one interview with the guy, so I'll have to wait till 2010 like everybody else before making any kind of judgement. But he does look interesting - reminds me of Crispin Glover. Can't wait to see what he does with the part.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:14 am

I was so hoping for an old fellah. You know, the idea of contrast and all.

We'll see. Moffat's handling scripts, so it can't be too bad. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:24 am

If the pattern holds, we should get a teenage Doctor in four years or so.

My concern is for the franchise in 2020 -- I'm not sure the world is ready for a five year old Doctor.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Steve Evil wrote:I was so hoping for an old fellah. You know, the idea of contrast and all.

he could pick up helen mirren as a sidekick.nah,she'd never go for it.
maybe whoopie goldberg?

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm telling you people, the good Doctor is now suffering from the Benjamin Button syndrome. I am actually looking forward a newborn play the Doctor.

"Exterminate!," screamed the Red Dalek
"Gurgle, gurgle", said the Doctor as he pulled on the Red Dalek's suction cup.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm looking forward to the new set of Daleks (cloned from Dalek Sec):
Extra Dry, Brut, Sec (II), and Triple Sec.

Together they form the Champagne Cocktail Alliance.

They do the bidding of a missing Time Lord named... The Bartender.

(Yes. It has been a long day. Why do you ask???)

Return to “Pop Culture”