New Doctor Who News

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

addlepate

Postby addlepate » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:46 am

I've just started watching Doctor Who again after about 6 months not caring.
I'd forgotten that it's not particularly good. It's the same old Lucasy, softball, rubber-mask sci-fi - but with fish and chips, guv.
Speaking of overrated science fiction television programs, why, in Battlestar Galactica (new series), are some of the characters wearing eyeglasses? We've had Lasik for about ten years now, surely if they can build a space-armada they can fix eyeballs?

ok bye :)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:48 am

Right, stop the sketch! This is getting too silly.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:45 am

Oh I see Alex Kingston is a woman. I got no TV what do I know?

Helen Mirren?

Cate Blanchett?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Judi Dench.

But what am I saying? It ain't gonna happen!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Judi Dench.

The first line as the new Doctor:

(Looks into a mirror)(Disappointedly) "Aw, fuck. Can't I ever be ginger?"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:48 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Right, stop the sketch! This is getting too silly.

Well I didn't expect some sort of...Spanish Inquisition!!

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:01 am

Because NO_ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!! Our main weapon... Is SUPRISE!!!

Ok thats enough Monty Python for now...

Its a shame that David Tennant has decided to leave Doctor Who, he has been absolutely fabulous. And I am not just saying that as a fellow Scotsman. I think he has been one of the best Doctors so far.

As a replacement? Thats a tricky one. There are so many really good actors in the UK who should be given the chance to play the Doctor. The problem is who do you choose. How about James Callis from Battlestart Galactica? I thought he would be rather good.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:29 am

According to Rich Jonston at Comic Book Resources, there are apparently other motives behind Tennant's departure:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=18672

Check out the two other names that have popped up as possible replacements: Sean Pertwee and Marc Warren. I find the idea of Pertwee's son taking on the role rather intriguing.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:13 am

addlepate wrote:I've just started watching Doctor Who again after about 6 months not caring.
I'd forgotten that it's not particularly good. It's the same old Lucasy, softball, rubber-mask sci-fi - but with fish and chips, guv.

I agree with you, for the most part. But most of that "Lucasy softball" stuff has more to do with RTD's influence on the show. Some of the best episodes from the earlier seasons were from Moffat's pen, and hopefully we'll see a genuine shift in storytelling quality on par with Robert Holmes's turn as a script editor back in the '70's.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:36 pm

Ben W. wrote:
addlepate wrote:I've just started watching Doctor Who again after about 6 months not caring.

I agree with you, for the most part. But most of that "Lucasy softball" stuff has more to do with RTD's influence on the show. Some of the best episodes from the earlier seasons were from Moffat's pen, and hopefully we'll see a genuine shift in storytelling quality on par with Robert Holmes's turn as a script editor back in the '70's.

As a long standing fan of the show (yeah going back to the 70s) I have to say that its true the early shows had great stories but had the worst, cheapest and cheesiest special effects known to man. Even the old Battlestar Galactica had better SFX than Who...

Also the old show tended to do a story over 4-8 episodes as opposed to what Russel Davies is trying to do, namely stand alone episodes which add up to an over all story arc.

Personally I think he has done a good job. Plus of course anything that gets the younger generation into good science fiction (just about anything non-trek then) is a good thing, even is it is "lucasy soft ball" sci-fi. Everyone has to start somewhere. I for instance didnt read Ellison until I was 14. But were it not for Star Wars and Dr Who I would never have discovered him.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 pm

No, no, no sir! There is no comparison between Dr. Who and "Lucasy" stuff. It (used to be) infitiely richer and deeper than that! Just read Unca Harlan's take on it in his introductions to the novelizations - he sums it up better than anyone can.

Gratned though, the latest season seemed quite helbent on ruining that legacy.

I only hope the new doctor quits crying at every opportunity, wife or no wife. (wife? wtf?)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:17 pm

In the words of The Doctor: "Oh, I don't know..."

This last season had some excellent episodes: The Doctor's Daughter; Turn Left; Midnight; Silence in the Library; Forest of the Dead. The Fires of Pompeii established this season as one in which the Doctor would become more introspective regarding his motives and relationship to the needs of those around him.

Yeah, Partners in Crime was pretty dumb, and the series' double part ending ep was over the top (albeit fun) -- I thought this most recent series had a number of very good moments.

But looking back, this season was certainly no worse or over the top or just downright annoying as the three part Third Series ender with the flying aircraft carrier, the caged TimeHobbit, and Martha's global walkabout...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 pm

3rd season felt way more dignified. Fewer cheap jokes, fewer cop-out cliffhangers, way less Rose Tyler. . .4th season felt like nothing so much as a pantomime, with even the good episodes doing something silly to undermine themselves.

And come on. . .Utopia et all kept its silliness on a tight leash, while "Stolen Earth" rewrote the book on it, throwing in not just the kitchen sink but the whole bloody sewer grid for good measure.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:20 pm

I know this confession is unacceptable.

Yet, it's the truth.

I was never able to get into Dr. Who.

Respected it; but it just never grabbed me.

Then my girlfriend got me watching the most recent season on dvr.

I kept asking her to run more episodes. Some were duds now and then, but, overall, I'm turning convert fast!

Now, I try to watch the show whenever I can.

I don't have the cast down yet; but I like this most recent Dr. Who, with that beautiful black chick, much more than the previous guy - the one with the leather jacket.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Now this is really out the blue: according to The Sun, BBC is in talks with Colin Salmon (who appeared in series such as Prime Suspect and played Dr. Moon in The Silence in the Library) to replace David Tennant as the good Doctor:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 903095.ece

You know, if that info is correct (and as always, anything coming from The Sun has to be taken with a grain of salt), Salmon would make for a very interesting choice. He has the voice, he has the presence, he is rather dashing...I can see him in the role.

Return to “Pop Culture”