New Doctor Who News

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:43 am

Is Dr. Who supposed to be "dashing"?

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:52 am

Jon Pertwee was in a rather man-about-the-world-venusian-jiu-jitsu kinda way

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 am

Alejandro Riera wrote:Now this is really out the blue: according to The Sun, BBC is in talks with Colin Salmon (who appeared in series such as Prime Suspect and played Dr. Moon in The Silence in the Library) to replace David Tennant as the good Doctor:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 903095.ece

You know, if that info is correct (and as always, anything coming from The Sun has to be taken with a grain of salt), Salmon would make for a very interesting choice. He has the voice, he has the presence, he is rather dashing...I can see him in the role.

Sadly The Sun is not exactly known for its accurate reporting. In fact its not known for much more than sleaze, sesnationalist reporting and trying to get pics of celebs with not much on. A large grain of salt would be my advice for this one. However its as good a choice as I have heard. Unless anyone fancies having Sean Pertwee (Jon's son, also an actor and a pretty good one) in the role?

swp

Postby swp » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:28 pm

reddragon70 wrote:Unless anyone fancies having Sean Pertwee (Jon's son, also an actor and a pretty good one) in the role?

ah yes, I can see the opening scene now as he stares into a mirror and quips, "Ah crap, not this again!"

I'm sticking with my original list, as amended.
swp

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:02 pm

reddragon70 wrote:
Ben W. wrote:As a long standing fan of the show (yeah going back to the 70s) I have to say that its true the early shows had great stories but had the worst, cheapest and cheesiest special effects known to man. Even the old Battlestar Galactica had better SFX than Who...

All the more reason why they concentrated on good ol-fashioned storytelling. They were forced to be imaginative in ways that the wide arsenal of digital imagery available today cancels out.

But if you value phenomenal special effects above all else, I can always mail my copy of CLOVERFIELD to you. :wink:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:16 pm

Welcome to the cult. . .I mean the club, Rob!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:23 pm

Oh, I'd say "cult" is just about right!

I woke this morning and found the word "GEEK" tatooed on my ass!

Either that, or it was a mutated growth after my 3-hour "Who" initiation.

(For the record, just to try to start divisions between this crowd, I thought it lame, one, knocking the 70's Dr. Who for its effects, two, comparing it to the first Galactica series, which, 'much as I HATE that thing - we're talkin' bottom-of-the-barrel here - set the highest standards at the time for TELEVISION where effects are concerned; it was a million bucks per episode - UNHEARD of at that time! Talk about a waste of money - yes! - but redragon, snapdragon, or whatever the hell y'ar, you're naive when it comes to this sort of history. However, Ben set you straight on the point of the writing)

It's alright...you're all a bunch of freaks, anyway. And I guess now I am too!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:41 am

Well, the effects were pretty bad. Even the most hardcore-fanatical-fundamentalist Whovians (of whom I the Ayatola) concede this.

And yet, in those pre-CGI, pre-billion dollar budget days, MOST shows of this nature were made on the cheap. It's not like Who was that much farther behind in this regard.

But who cares? As Ben said, it was "good old fashioned story telling" which carried the day, and even when I was 11, I wouldn't have traded Tom Baker's floppy hat or tin dog for all the State-of-the-art in Hollywood.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:55 am

"And yet, in those pre-CGI, pre-billion dollar budget days, MOST shows of this nature were made on the cheap. It's not like Who was that much farther behind in this regard."

Which is exactly what I was getting at.

"Low-budget" was standard tv before the LATE 70's.

My only real gripe - from the occasional BBC reruns I caught - is that those Baker shows were on video. THAT makes even better budgets look bad (this was long prior to high-res video, of course, which is a whole different trip). Back in those days, you don't wanna do sf on video. NEVER worked!

If Star Trek: TOS had been shot on tape, I doubt I'd have been able to watch it.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:27 am

Many of you may have seen this, and for those who haven't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA7XoEKJrgg

It is a Doctor Who short made for for Children In Need (2007) featuring both the Tennant and the Fifth Doctor, Peter Davidson. It takes place "in between" the end of series 3 and the christmas episode with Kylie Minogue.
---------

So I got Kat into Who, she who had never cared much for science fiction, serialized or not, and the conversation got round to David leaving the show. She was upset to learn that he was leaving, because he was her favorite. However, she came into the show first with Eccleston, so that makes him "her Doctor". I claim 'your Doctor' is the one you were baptized with, she insists it should be your favorite. I am correct, of course. 8)

There is a history with people who remember fondly 'their Doctor', so just for fun- Who was yours?

For the record, mine is Tom Baker. The shows used to run on PBS and on WDCA Channel 20 in MD. Used to get up and sneak downstairs at midnight to catch it on school nights. Man, those eyes. He was a sane, rational man spouting quantum physics one second, and the next, he was stark, raving mad.

That was when I first started to come to the idea that there were people who wrote this stuff. There was a sign, big as life, that said WRITTEN BY TERRY NATION.

P.D. was good, never liked Colin much, Sylvester was okay, and I've never seen an episode with Paul McGann, I don't believe.

Here's where I got my taste of that Dr. Who Love of Humanity~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yBS2EZFduI
------------

Also got a nice taste when i got the VHS Peter Cushing in Dr. Who and the Daleks. My daughter asked for it regularly when she was between 5 and 9. I am the corruptor. :twisted:
The medium is the message.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:34 am

For me, Tom Baker was also my introduction to the Dr. Who. Tom Baker dubbed in Spanish by the way. This was way back in the late 70s when Puerto Rico was still the dubbing capital of Latin America and when the Howard DaSilva intros and outros were added to the series in the US to make it more palatable to an American audience. Whomever was in charge of the dubbing sessions found an actor whose voice equally matched that of Baker's. The series first aired in WAPA-TV Channel 4 out of order. They kicked things off with The Android Invasion followed by, if memory doesn't fail me, The Genesis of the Daleks.

But I gotta say Tennant displaced Tom Baker from my list as my favorite Doctor. So, here they are, in order of preference, my Doctors: Tennant, Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston, Jon Pertwee, Sylvester McCoy, Patrick Troughton, William Hartnell, Paul McGann, Peter Davidson and Colin Baker (who could have been a more interesting Doctor had he been given better scripts).

Paul, btw, Mr. McGann only made one appearance as the good Doctor in that movie Fox aired almost 8 years ago. He's been brought back by Big Finish and the Beeb for a series of audio plays.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:32 pm

Well there you go. That shows how out of the loop I've been. For some reason, I thought McGann was in the series after McCoy. But then, I made a major move in 1992, and I went televisionless (by choice), until 2000.

I think I read that the series went on until '96 or '97. How did McCoy pan out in the end, was he pretty good?
The medium is the message.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:43 pm

http://denofgeek.com/television/141322/ ... octor.html

"Although I loved Peter Davison and Paul McGann, probably the best two actors in the role, I don't think young, dashing Doctors are right at all. He should be 40-plus and weird-looking - the kind of wacky grandfather kids know on sight to be secretly one of them."

"Weird-looking". Hmm.

This is a pretty dicey term, as everyone has their own idea of what's "weird-looking", but Bill Nighy would fit Moffat's reference to a wacky grandfather-esque figure very nicely indeed.

Steve Evil

Doctor, Doctor,

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:55 pm

Tricky question to answer, as I experienced them all in rapid succession, and each one represented a different phase in my life.

I first saw Baker when I was five, but I don't think that counts. I didn't actually watch the show, it was just a scary program than came on after the cartoons. When they changed the actor, it didn't surprise me a bit; it seemed just the kind of thing that show would do. . .

So maybe Tom Bakers my doctor.

My first episode as a fan, who tuned in because he'd read a book about Daleks and thought it might be cool was the Colin Baker story "The Two Doctors", which for some reason just clicked, and got me completely hooked. I will defend Colin to the death, though I have to admit he got some of the worst scripts ever. But his dialogue with the robot Dratho about the value of human life is my absolute favorate piece of dialogue ever.

So maybe Colin's my doctor.

Then again, I remember that during the tumultuous changes of adolescence, when the world seemed to be wrenching itself into something altogether unrecognizable, the show attempted to "grow-up" with the McCoy era. I lived vicariously through the teenaged companion Ace, taking on all the pratfalls of growing up alongside Daleks and Heomovers (sp?). The eccentric "Professor" (who turned out to be "Time's Champion" in disguise) was our guide.

So maybe Sylvester's my doctor.

Then again, I loved the crotchety old man as well. And the Cosmic Hobo, and the dandy, and even the Cricket player (who did battle with much cooler Cybermen than we have now).

Maybe they're my doctors.

So who knows? The Doctor's the Doctor.

Bill Nighy could be interesting. What was that movie where he played the Rock star? I'd love to see an older bloke take the role.

Steve Evil

Because I cannot, CANNOT, resist. . .

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 pm

Did you know "Human Nature" was originally a McCoy story?

paul wrote:

I think I read that the series went on until '96 or '97. How did McCoy pan out in the end, was he pretty good?

You're probably thinking of the "New Adventures". They were a set of original novels released by Virgin Publishing just after the show went off in '89. They released about one a month for many years, and lacking anything else, fans took them as semi-canon. Most (about 80%)were awful, but a couple of them were quite brilliant. Paul Cornel, who wrote "Father's Day" and "Human Nature" got his start there, and I really think they're the missing link between the old and new series.

McCoy had alot of the same troubles Colin Baker had. He had a very interesting interpretation of the character, but very few good scripts to work with.

By the end they were hinting that he was much more mysterious and powerful than previously thought, belied by an extra-foppish appearence. Alot like what they recently did with Tenant. I think McCoy was quite brilliant at portraying this. The least physically imposing Doctor of them all somehow came across as by far the most dangerous one.

(The anti-Eccleston. I'll explain later. . . my time is up!)

Return to “Pop Culture”