New Doctor Who News

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Boy oh boy, didn't those tirades shut everyone up real quick!

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Not really. Just waiting on more news from the Doctor Who front (although I gotta confess that I saw the first two minutes of the new Dr. Who Xmas special and David Morrisey makes for a very legit choice to replace Tennant, if he even gets offered the part. But that would be too obvious).

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Boy oh boy, didn't those tirades shut everyone up real quick!

Didn't shut ME up.

I had nothing to contribute in the first place.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:52 am

There have been some rumours going about that the episode with the Doctors daughter may be pivotal at some point in the future. Its possible, if unlikely, that the actress may return and take over the role of the Doctor. And of course for all you trivia junkies, it was in fact Peter Davidson's daugher.... Shame I cant remember her name.

I think however that the BBC will go for a more intriguing option. It is most likely to be someone who has been in other BBC dramas, possibly fairly unknown, but a good actor nonetheless. It may even be that it will be an actor who has played a small part in previous episodes.

For myself I would love to see Alan Rickman as the doctor. I think he would be fantastic.

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:40 am

Actually, in a bit of typecasting I know, I see Rickman more as The Master. Now, Elisabeth Sladen, better known as Sarah Jane Smith, in a recent interview offered a really interesting choice for The Doctor: Jason Isaacs, better known as Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films.

BTW, all of you Chicagoans visiting this board, Sladen and Colin Baker will be the Guests of Honor at Tardis Chicago 2008 Nov. 28-30.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:13 am

Rickman has the range to be either Doctor or Master, IMHO. But I'm certain he's out of their budget. Bill Nighy, who is also likely out or range, would be a wonderful option (though Nighy reportedly was offerend the role before Eccleston and turned it down).

Jason Isaacs would be an interesting choice. The concept that the Doctor has gone from elderly grandpa to early-twenties man-about-Universe would be full of potential stories. (A nine hundred year old man in a twenty-year old body. The mind reels...)

Georgia Moffett is the name of Davison's daughter. Rumors are that she and Tennant are an item (which is rife with all sorts of scandalous appeal).

And yes, I would sincerely hope Steven Moffet follows up upon the inferred promise of a return appearance by Jenny, as well as the River Song character from The Library storyline.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

addlepate

Postby addlepate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:44 am

I want Stephen Fry for Doctor Who. I will be exploded if any other choice is made. :(

I wasn't knocking the early DW's for being cheaply made - I've never seen them. I'm just saying that it's obvious to me that, like Lucas' stuff, Doctor Who is really a kids' show, so it's got to have a very simple and soft sort of presentation.

Nobody ever answered my question about Battlestar Galactica. Why do they need glasses? They can have space-battles but they can't do LASIK? Doesn't make sense. What is the explanation?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:58 am

The real fun is thinking of people who would be totally miscast.

1.Robert Duval

2.Nicholas Cage

3.Pierce Brosnan

4.The guy in those dumbass Mummy pictures
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am

Fun "History of Doctor Who" article in today's BBC News online:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7736130.stm

Addle: I wear glasses in this age of Lasik. My guess is that in BG, as in our own modern world, the technology exists but not everyone avails themselves of it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

addlepate

Postby addlepate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:09 pm

Treating eyesight issues with lasers and computers makes far more sense than correcting them with metal and glass/plastics, in the context of a space mission of indefinite length. in the future there will be no glasses :(

Alejandro Riera

Postby Alejandro Riera » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:56 pm

According to Rich Johnston from comicbookresources.com, the BBC offered Paterson Joseph the job and he has accepted. It still needs to be confirmed, though.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:26 am

Alejandro Riera wrote:According to Rich Johnston from comicbookresources.com, the BBC offered Paterson Joseph the job and he has accepted. It still needs to be confirmed, though.

Intriguing. Might be a tad awkward, though, considering Joseph has already appeared in the series as another character. Then again, that didn't stop Colin Baker from grabbing the part. :wink:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 pm

We'll see. I'm still rootin' for an older guy, and have actually really gotten attached to the idea of Bill Nighy.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Crazy batshit Who rumour of the day: The Doctor will regenerate into Donna Noble (thus giving Catherine Tate center stage on the show).

http://garysaid.com/chapters/003085.php ... Who%202008

The theory being that the Doctor accidentally absorbs some of the leftover energy from the "two-way biological metacrisis" seen in JOURNEY'S END, and regenerates into her clone.

Which would actually make a twisted sort of sense, but...uhm...yeah. :roll:

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 pm

I wouldn't put anything past RTD.

But Donna Noble?

Return to “Pop Culture”