Quantum of Solace - could there even be "spoilers?"

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

SemiWriter

Postby SemiWriter » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:18 pm

How does the Bible end? Hmm, I think it depends on the publisher. According to religions like the Latter-Day Saints, it hasn't ended--they're still writing and even revising the Bible based on divine inspiration.

(That was the deal-breaker for me, incidentally. I had a friend who was an LDS and was encouraging me to join, and all in all, I agree that it's a very upstanding and admirable Christian religion (it's the traditional Mormons that cling to polygamy--LDS is all about one man/one woman, doing geneaology, etc.). But, man, the idea of rewriting the Bible, or rather rewriting the ENGLISH version of the Bible, and then holding those words sacred based on "divine inspiration"? I couldn't fly with that. As a document, those words have been translated and reinterpreted nobody knows HOW many times, from the original Hebrew text into Aramaic, then into Greek, and then into dozens of other languages. And there's no telling how many mistakes have resulted in the English-language version at this point.)

But overall, I guess you could look at the Bible as a spoiler-less book, huh? Either that, or you know nothing about holidays and really do believe the day is set aside to celebrate an egg-bearing rabbit... which is cool in its own right. I mean, who doesn't want free candy and food from a fuzzy little bunny? :wink:

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:16 pm

David Loftus wrote:Classic feminist line: "Jesus Christ was a typical male. They say they'll come back and you NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN!"

Not that I needed the help, but I laughed so hard at that not only did I almost get kicked outta the library, my place in hell is waiting for me as well.

THANKS!!!

Lori :twisted:

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm

>> How does the Bible end? Hmm, I think it depends on the publisher. According to religions like the Latter-Day Saints, it hasn't ended--they're still writing and even revising the Bible based on divine inspiration. <<

A quick clarification from someone who follows the faith:

Joseph Smith began what would be called the Joseph Smith Translation back in the 1830's. It was not completed in his lifetime, and no one has continued it. We use the King James Version in our churches. This is perhaps a discussion for a different time and place, but we also use the Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price as official canon. All these can be found in their entirety on www.lds.org

I voted NO on Prop 8. This is also another discussion for another place and time.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Speaking of Quantum of Solace....

What genre do these Bond movies fall into? Perhaps Technical Fantasy, since the plotting requires Bond to bend the rules of physics and the real world in order to accomplish his objectives.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:01 pm

I got off a good one (I thought) at an audition for a production of Noel Coward's "Private Lives" last week. Midway through the play, a divorced couple who have skipped town on their new spouses to run off to Paris together start to grate on each other's nerves again. They decide on a safe word to call for a 2-minute timeout whenever they start to squabble. It is "Sollocks." (That's what the playwright chose, back in the 1930s.)

Several of us had to read a scene in which the safeword pops up several times.

I made a crack about "A quantum of sollocks."

Too bad nobody else heard it.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:41 pm

Duane wrote:Speaking of Quantum of Solace....

What genre do these Bond movies fall into? Perhaps Technical Fantasy, since the plotting requires Bond to bend the rules of physics and the real world in order to accomplish his objectives.

my mind has actually blocked out the title of the"curve the bullet" movie.
it's too upsetting.... yeah,curve the bullet.sure,no problem there.just a matter of WILL,and flailing ones arm.
DOUG,
best of luck on the job front.
mike
p.s.my basic cobra,707/mo.,ow.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:14 pm

David Loftus wrote:I made a crack about "A quantum of sollocks."

Too bad nobody else heard it.

Okay, I'll give it to you.

:lol:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:38 pm

Actually, I've just been cast in the show, so there should be PLENTY of opportunities to use it later. Although by the time rehearsals start in January, the show could be long forgotten and joke no good.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Physics. define quanta;
The smallest amount of a physical quantity that can exist independently, especially a discrete quantity of electromagnetic radiation.
This amount of energy regarded as a unit.
adj.

quantum of bollocks?

that's getting a bit personal!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:10 pm

Harlan really hated this film. Glad I no longer care about the sexist beast that is Bond.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:09 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Harlan really hated this film. Glad I no longer care about the sexist beast that is Bond.

One time, he makes you pay for the meal, and now you're dissin' him.

Return to “Pop Culture”