Bettie Page

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:57 pm

As someone who has seen both, no it is not sufficient. Plan 9 is a FAR worse film than Attack, mainly because Attack is a pretty self-aware, self-mocking film, whereas Plan 9 was done in complete earnest (which just makes it funnier)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:05 pm

Wood at least puts the camera in front of the actors, Manos is like a bad home movie. Manos is easily the worst movie ever.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Mark, what did you end up eating last night? hehe.

2 below? Man, this may end up being a bad year.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:27 am

I am sorry but for me Plan 9 wins the worst film ever, and always will. Yes there is a certain anive charm about Ed Wood that makes him quite emdearing, yes he had huge amounts of enthusiasm and of course yes he did get Bela Lugosi. Now there is the huge but, Wood had absolutely no talent for film making, none, zilch , zero. The contiuity on his films is terrible, with shots going from day to night and back to day. Cars myseriously changing make and model and then going back again. Printing the film despite the props falling over, actors falling over or forgetting their lines. Everything about Wood was wrong.

Of course what make him the worst for absolute certain is this. Ed Wood trully believed he was making good films. So for me he is the worst director ever and his films are the worst ever made. But hey I love them. Theyre just so bad you cant help loving them

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:12 am

Plan 9 wins simply because of notoriety. There are two others, Eegah! and The Slithis that are major, though little known, contenders for the title.

(The former is about a reborn caveman who decides the handsome hero's girlfriend is good enough to take as a cavegirlfriend. It contains a very long sequence in which our Hero runs around the SoCal mountains yelling "Roxy!" as he looks for her. The latter is about a sludge monster that comes a-hunting what looks like a second-rate Venice Beach neighborhood. The creature's POV is shown by putting a plastic cup of water over the lens and "peering" through it.)

Yeech what a set of memories.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:36 am

Barber, those are bad movies even I have never heard of. When and where were these classics made?

I recently watched Manos, the MST3K version and while it is bad, Plan 9 is far worse

Reddragon hit all of the major points on Wood that I would heartily endorse. The guy meant well but was the absolute worst

Frank, the chicken was on the grill, so that was not affected (and yes, I trundled through the snow to go grill chicken), the salad was in the frig so that was fine, the bruschetta that I was making got ruined and half the polenta was OK so we still ahd a good meal
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:53 am

It even snowed in Las Vegas. The pussies had to close the airport.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:54 am

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:36 am

Gwyneth M905 wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:I do have a girlfriend. Don't want to scare Gwynnie, who is a nice egg.

But...Frankie...what about Douglas and that truckstop? :P

And hey, girlfriends don't scare me...I've had a few in my lifetime too...

Gwennie

You do realize that there is a very thin line between being domme, and taking what you want, and stalking; right

:twisted:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:10 am

Mark -

I guess the first one is actually called SPAWN OF THE SLITHIS, released in 1978.

IMDB wrote:"A nuclear leak creates a mutant Slithis sea monster, which terrorizes the variety of pets, winos, and hippies who hang around Venice, California."

and EEGAH! was released in 1962

IMDB wrote:The Crazed Love of a Prehistoric Giant for a Ravishing Teenage Girl!

I got a serious surprise when I looked this one up this morning: The caveman, Eegah, was played by Richard Kiel of James Bond "Jaws" fame.

I loved one user's comment, which started with "Egad!"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”