If they're going to remake a movie...

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:53 pm

Robot boy.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

One instance where the remake was infinitely better than the original:

Original version: The Brain Eaters. Pure low-budget hokum.

Remake: Puppet Masters. The only halfway decent screen version of a Heinlein work ever made. I loved Donald Sutherland in it. My favorite exchange of dialogue was this:

"You shot me!"

"What would you have done?"

"Well, I would have shot you, of course."

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:15 pm

"Some people are so blinkered by doctrine – religious or political – that they will not see the oncoming train until their brain splashes across the front of the locomotive"
chuck,
what's the last thing that goes through a fly's mind when it hits your windshield?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 pm

It's interesting to catch what I call "vintage gore movies"; the beginnings of over-the-top blood-gusher exploitation flicks, which I've found to have begun in the late 1950's, and gaining ground in the early 60's with grade-B or grade-Z horror/sci fi flicks.

One such is called THE FLESH EATERS from 1964.

The only recognizable actor in the movie is Martin Kosleck, an icy German actor who specialized in playing Nazis who appeared all over tv and movies.

This early gruel-fest featured some glowing insect-like critters artificially created in a Nazi experiment, which are now floating around the shallow waters of an island. They eat away human flesh like acid.

A bunch get trapped there.

Well, the envelope-pusher at that time had to have been when Kosleck invites this spaced-out beatnik into his tent for a drink. He drops one of these things in the guy's drink. They continue talking and laughing it up, while Kosleck, along with the viewer, is actually waiting for the fun to begin.

A moment passes, and they show ALL in explicit gross-out glory. The film is b&w, and, frankly, that makes gore more "palatable" than in color, to ME, because it adds surrealism to the effect. The explicit shots, I should add, or quick; they don't linger to nauseate, and they are sparse rather ongoing. It's the only way I prefer gore, instead of being hammered by it as they do in modern flicks.

Anyway, returning to that scene, wait to you see what Kosleck goes on to do with the beatnik's corpse, when he ties it to a raft and floats out to sea.

It's a real shlocker, but fun if you're in a decadent mood.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 pm

cynic wrote:

chuck,
what's the last thing that goes through a fly's mind when it hits your windshield?

"Look! Another fly, dead ahead! Maybe he wants to be friends. Hello the--"

Chuck

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:cynic wrote:

chuck,

"Look! Another fly, dead ahead! Maybe he wants to be friends. Hello the--"

Chuck
your coda;
"Some people are so blinkered by doctrine – religious or political – that they will not see the oncoming train until their brain splashes across the front of the locomotive"at first brought to mind a physics riddle.

a locomotive,with a heavy load,moving at 70mph.,collides head-on with a housefly moving at nearly 1mph.
obviously,the fly loses.
but,in the process,the fly must deaccelerate,stop,and reverse direction,all while in contact with the locomotive.
at the moment the fly has stopped,has the locomotive stopped as well?

fully realizing that few would have any interest in such an absurd question,a joke came to mind.

it's ass.

follow your bliss,mike

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:47 pm

And here I thought I was the only one on the planet who'd ever seen THE FLESH EATERS.

Rob, I assume you saw this on dvd (unless you've got some theaters out your way that run the oldies) and that you saw it recently.

But try to imagine how much fun this flick was for a not-terribly-discriminating 14-year-old horror-movie addict camped in the front row of the theater.

Them was the days...

Bests,
--tr

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm

I first saw FE on tv in the early 80's, one of those Saturday 1am movies aired locally. (I was introduced to Night of the Living Dead in those years as well, on the very same channel)

Having not seen it since, yes, I rented the dvd about 2 year ago to refresh myself. I'd NEVER forgotten about the loony Dick Shaun-like beatnik drinking that thing down, but the rest of the flick was mostly a blur.

I like this piece of shit so much, I may actually one day add it to my collection here. I literally have stuff from every single era, even early silents.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 am

A movie like, say, Blood Feast just seems silly now. The gore is not so shocking anymore. It could be remade, maybe by Tarantino.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Dylag, I liked it better when it was called Cat People.

Say what? Surely you're not suggesting THEM ripped off Val Lewton?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:25 pm

IF they're going to do it right dept.:

War of the Worlds
Doppleganger
Hound of the Baskervilles
The Sign of Four (Although I like the Jeremy Brett version.)
The Quatermass Xperiment
Quatermass II
Quatermass and the Pit.
Moby Dick
When Worlds Collide (Possible movie in the works.)

Chuck

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:40 am

Notes From The Front Office:

HOW would you do "right" or any better with:

Doppleganger?
Quatermass and the Pit?
Moby Dick? (Which isn't really filmable in the first place)

The Committee, here, would submit the following as better examples:

I Am Legend
The Power
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
The Thing(!!!!!!!!!!!)
The Green Hornet
Caligula
Napoleon
Fantastic Four
City of the Dead (US, Horror Hotel)
Lloyd's of London

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Steve Evil wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:Dylag, I liked it better when it was called Cat People.

Say what? Surely you're not suggesting THEM ripped off Val Lewton?

Eh? I'm missing something.

THEM! is nothing remotely like CAT PEOPLE (either version, Val Lewton's or Paul Shrader's). Not in style, not in plotline, not in substance.

I'm lost by this comparison.

(BTW - I'm going to get crowbarred for this, but stylistically I'm very fond of Shrader's version of Cat People. Visually it's -- for the most part -- brilliantly executed, though I admit it was badly edited with some ridiculous plotting and dialog.) (I also love David Bowie's additions to Moroder's soundtrack.)

(And, well, Nastassja Kinski. :shock: )

(Dreamily: "Nastassja Kin-ski")
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:07 pm

I read that new bio of Polanski last month. It mentions that Kinski and a girlfriend went home with him when she was only 15, and it's not clear that she even knew who he was at the time. Not sure which of them that reflects on worse.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Barber wrote:Eh? I'm missing something.

Well it was Frank who made the comparison. I'm as flumoxed as you are. . .

Return to “Pop Culture”