Pearls Before Swine Shrine

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:A question for you fellow comic fans.

Over the holidays my brother gave me a series of anthology books from Dark Horse, DH Book of the Dead/Hauntings/Wichcraft/Monsters. Wonderful stuff including a series of stories by Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson about a pack of dogs who have occult adventures. Is anybody familiar with this series? Is it a seperate line of work? The occult dog stories are wonderful but I can't find a seperate title anywhere.

Can anybody help?

I might recommend starting with the loathed Wikipedia. I've found for general things like this they're usually a good initial source. Start with Dark Horse and work your way down...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Ezra,

If you're asking whether the Dorkin/Thompson comics appeared in a series outside of the anthologies , then it appears they did not. I did a search on the Dark Horse site and all that came up were Dorkin's (considerable) solo works and the anthologies you mentioned.

An ongoing series by those two would be beyond awesome, but seeing as they both have prodigious amounts of solo work it seems unlikely they'd have the time. Which is a shame.

Meanwhile, back in Swineland...

http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/2009-01-15/

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:38 pm

Hey, fine by me if no one cares (or notices) that I haven't been around for like, eons (who am I again?) but NO ONE showed their Swine Love in my absence? That is so SAD, people! :(

(Oh christ, I can't believe I used a smiley.)

Anyway. Remember that time way back when in this thread, when I posted a link to Richard Thompson's delightful strip <i>Cul de Sac</i> and said how great it was, and you all just laffed and told me to shut up? (OK, neither do I.) Well, Thompson and Stephan Pastis (creator of <i>Pearls</i>) are gonna be appearing at San Diego Comic Con this summer, and here's an interview they did about it.

http://issuu.com/comic-con/docs/ccmag_0 ... ayout=grey

(Links to gimmicky Flash Flipbook thingy; you can find the interview on pages 26-27.)

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:41 pm

CRAP! Please substitute all "<>" with "[ ]" in your heads as you read. CRAP!

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 am

I just don't take the time to read the comics page (or the rest of the newspaper) these days, but my wife LOVES "Pearls Before Swine" so she occasionally shoves a strip under my face.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:48 am

And well she should.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:54 pm

For Better or For Worse is one of the best strips out there (along with Luann). I have www.comics.com bookmarked.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Hey John sorry I forgot to thank you but yeah the series was a one-of kinda thing.

Amazing! It reads like you came in after the series had been going for a while and when it ends you want more.

I saw CORALINE over the weekend. Best 3D I've ever seen. What an imagination Gaiman has!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”