GRAPHIC STORY NOMS NEEDED!

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

GRAPHIC STORY NOMS NEEDED!

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:03 am

Okay you literate, learned and well-read kids, last week Chris Barkley posted the following to a stoney silence:

Chris M Barkley <cmzhang42@yahoo.com>
Cincinnati, OH - Thursday, January 1 2009 17:58:36

HEY! Best Graphic Story Hugo Nominations Needed...Like RIGHT NOW!
Happy New Year to All Weberlanders!

If you will cast your mass-mind memory back to early August 2008, you will recall that Steve Barber and I successfully lobbied for and won a chance to establish a Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story.

An overwhelming majority at the Business Meeting at Denvention III voted to establish the award. A second ratifying vote at this year's Worldcon in Montreal is needed to make the award an annual feature on a trial basis (until 2012, it's along story and if you're really interested, you can google the details.)

(BTW, Anticipation, the 67th World Science Fiction Convention, will be held in Montréal, Québec, Canada, from 6 to 10 August 2009. Guests of Honor include Neil Gaiman, Élisabeth Vonarburg, Ralph Bakshi, Taral Wayne, Tom Doherty, David Hartwell, and Julie Czerneda. You're all invited. Really.)

The Chair of Anticipation, Rene Walling, and his convention committee voted to use their special provision under the World Science Fiction Society constitution, to try out the Best Graphic Story Hugo on for size.

Very soon now, nomination ballots will be in the mail to all the members of Denvention III and current members of Anticipation.

The text of the amendment reads as follows:

Any science fiction or fantasy story told in graphic form appearing for the first time in the previous calendar year.

This means that any graphic novel that tells a complete story OR any outstanding individual story published in 2008, is eligible.

(And yes friends, that includes stories from our host's latest edition of Dream Corridor!)

I could use your help; I am writing an editorial for Comics Journal about this and since I am not a regular reader of comics, I am sorely in need recommendations to research and cite.

I'm on a one weeks deadline so please, either email me at my email address above or discuss them here. I'd appreciate ANY help I can get on this...Thank You; Now hit those keyboards!

We really could use the help in getting some nominations submitted. Anything, anything? Beuhler?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

kevinkirby

I'll Look for Something

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:05 pm

What did Alan Moore write for last year?

Graphic novel Hugos might prove challenging to select, but these works are typically less collaborative than a cinematic production.

Does eligibility include the actual date by which the work was written? What if the script was actually written several years before the artwork gets finished?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:07 pm

Kevin -
The date of original publication is the determinant.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Neil Gaiman will win--next!

kevinkirby

Three Gaimans to Choose From

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Which has the best chance: Coraline, The Complete Death or The Dangerous Alphabet?

And here's my early nomination for the 2010 Hugo --

http://www.topshelfcomix.com/catalog.ph ... &title=578

Somebody may get a laugh out of some Hi8 footage from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ3B2gjnXR4&fmt=18

kk

kevinkirby

---CORRECTION---

Postby kevinkirby » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm

I think I'll withhold my nomination of The Bumper Book of Magic until 2011; unless it actually gets finished early -- or, they change the rules.

Jan

Postby Jan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm

Steve, you should have told us at the beginning of the year to pay attention. Tell Chris we're sorry.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:49 pm

Is it too late for this? I kept wanting to participate, but life got hairy for me all of a sudden.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:06 pm

John E Williams wrote:Is it too late for this? I kept wanting to participate, but life got hairy for me all of a sudden.

Yes, feel free to send an email to Chris directly, however. Not sure if he's finished the blog, but it couldn't hurt to give him more grist for the mill.

Return to “Pop Culture”