The Quatermass Query

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

The Quatermass Query

Postby Ben W. » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:50 am

(Warning: I guess this post is full of so-called "spoilers", but there's no way I can find the information I need without directly referring to the end of the story.)

I'm sure most of you guys know of THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT, an adventure serial broadcast in Britain around 1953, conceived by the gnarly Nigel Kneale?

Well, there wa a speech delivered by the Quatermass character towards the end of the sixth (and last) episode, wherein he desperately attempts to reawaken the last vestiges of humanity inside a gigantic alien creature that had formerly been astronaut Victor Caroon.

The last four episodes of the serial, sadly, no longer exist. I'd like to find the entire original transcript for this speech - unedited, unabridged. Does it exist anywhere online, or should I look elsewhere?

swp

Postby swp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:34 am

try expensive eBay listing

or more likely

eBay UK
swp

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 am

It may be worth trying to contact the BBC. They have an extensive archive of scripts (or at least they used to) and may have it on PDF format or something.

swp

Postby swp » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 pm

swp wrote:try expensive eBay listing

or more likely

eBay UK

both of those are specific auctions, the 2nd is for the script book itself at 10 GBP (about $15.25) plus shipping. more than reasonable, but it ends in just over 5 days (as of the time of this posting)
swp

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 pm

What about soundrecordings? Even though most Doctor Who episodes from the early sixties are also missing, a complete sound recording exists for each one. I wonder if this would be the case for other BBC serials. . .

Ben

Postby Ben » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:32 am

Steve Evil wrote:What about soundrecordings? Even though most Doctor Who episodes from the early sixties are also missing, a complete sound recording exists for each one. I wonder if this would be the case for other BBC serials. . .

Problem is, the BBC never even bothered to record the last four episodes of THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT. One broadcast, and then poof - gone forever.

I believe the sound recordings you're referring to were actually taken by Doctor Who fans on the eve of their broadcasts (no other recording technology was available at the time to them). If such a recording for such a seminal production like the Quatermass Experiment existed, chances are it would have been released by the BBC long ago.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 pm

They never did think long term, did they?

Return to “Pop Culture”