Yet another reason to think PETA people are fuckin nuts

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Yet another reason to think PETA people are fuckin nuts

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:28 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/1 ... 57836.html

I cannot think of one thing to add to this!

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:36 pm

I can!!

This is why PETA will never accomplish anything of consequence.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm of the opinion that there is an arm of PETA devoted to stirring up irrational anger among people. It isn't constructive, but PETA knows that even negative emotional responses can be used for their benefit.

I'm starting to think the "G0d h@t3s F@gs" people (don't want that phrase to bring up our little board in a search engine) are cut from the same mold. There's a dimension of "chain yanking" going on with both these organizations that is used for social change, horrifically conceived satire, or both.

Which is why the only response to these people is the Stephen Lynch song I posted above.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Sure, treat animals better. Clean up slaughterhouses and the like but don't go around trying to make us think animals are better than us. We govern all animals and should treat them well. Killing should be as painless as possible. Species should be controlled as well as protected. Let hunters go at excess deer populations as well as controlling them with birth control.

--------------

Duane, you kill one kitten and I hunt you down.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:We govern all animals and should treat them well.

Being able to overpower is not the same as governing.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:46 am

You a vegetarian David?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:48 am

Prince did his own animal rights song:

http://www.imeem.com/people/xf4NJh0/mus ... l_kingdom/

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:14 pm

Why does PETA throw red paint on people outside Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, and Saks Fifth Avenue?

I never see them outside Leather Etc., Madam S. Boutique, The Stud, Stormy Leather, or Mr. S Leather. Those all use animal products too, ya know.

Any guesses folks? ;)

Maybe cause it's a lot less likely they'll get their asses kicked by little old ladies wearing fur pieces than by Doms, and Bikers and Bears, Oh My!!!

:twisted:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:28 pm

I dont get the whole PETA thing. I am an animal lover (not litteraly though... Well unless its real cold and the wife is away.... LOL) I am a carnivore but I do love animals. I have two cats and have owned cats all of my life. I could never see them suffer, just as I could never see any animal suffer. Yet I have no problems with eating meat.

I dont agree with the fur trade or fox hunting in my country. To me that is just unreasonably cruel. However I have done pheasant and grouse shooting. At least their death is quick and I hope painless, though I dont know, and I will at least eat what i kill. Its not a justifiaction, but I abhor senseless waste.

If the animal dies by my hand, then it should be consumed by my hand. To me that way, it is at least fulfiling a purpose. The fur trade however does nothing but fulfill vanity, pride and someones ego at affording a new mink coat.

Its not a great excuse I know. BUt its the best defense I have for the hunters out there. And for the record the last time I shot any animal was 20 years ago. Now I content myself with archery and I only shoot targets.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:44 pm

reddragon70 wrote: If the animal dies by my hand, then it should be consumed by my hand. To me that way, it is at least fulfiling a purpose. The fur trade however does nothing but fulfill vanity, pride and someones ego at affording a new mink coat.

Its not a great excuse I know. BUt its the best defense I have for the hunters out there. And for the record the last time I shot any animal was 20 years ago. Now I content myself with archery and I only shoot targets.

I agree, reddragon70. I think that if people had to kill what they ate, this planet would have a lot fewer feedlots and be, in general, much healthier. Obesity would go down 'cause McDonalds would go out of business. If you have to look into the eyes of a dying deer as you slit its throat, and see the life go out of them, then you know what I mean. And yeah, even the same thing with a hooked fish, or wringing a chicken's neck.

Re: PETA and the fur trade. I inherited a lot of fur from a Great Aunt. Through eBay I came in contact with a couple who were Canadian furriers. They actually supported PETA saying that they had caused the fur trade to clean up its act in how it treated the animals and the result was better treatment AND therefore, better furs. I'm into fake fur, so go kill a teddy bear for me ;) but I have to admit, there's nothing like fur or down to keep ya' warm. (I kept a couple of Great-Aunt's fur pieces.)

Your post was thought-provoking, thank you for it. :)
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Thought provoking???? Me??? Damn... I am just a train driver from scotland LOL

But thanks. I am flattered and amazed that anyone would pay attention to my (often) bizarre ramblings.

I just try to put my view across, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. I guess I just regret the choices I have made and having not gone into jouralism or suchlike. At least then I could have put up a REALLY convincing argument LOL

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:14 pm

reddragon70 -- you're from Scotland? How is the salmon industry faring there?
Here in CA things are so bad they had to cancel the season, the fish were so scarce.

(speaking of fish -- oops -- sea kittens or fish kitties or finny pussies or whatever we are supposed to call them now to be P.C. ;) )
STAR WARS (1977)

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:23 pm

Well the salmon thing aint doing too good in Loch Lomond. My father has caught nothing but a cold. However, My father in law has caught loads. But he is in Dumfries. And he has just recently taken up salmon fishing. I think its beginners luck.

As an indusry though, Its not good.

I know from the last time I was up in the Highlands that its pretty bad. I was in Wester Ross on the west coast and the commercial nets had 1 or 2 fish. That is disasterous. They used to average 40-50 when I was kid. More than that before I was born. I can see salmon being endangered. And pretty soon

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Oh and if yourself or anyone esle here has MSN and feeling chatty, my MSN ID is Stumpylad70@hotmail.com.

I dont advise it too much cos I tend to talk a load of absolute toot.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Ah, yes. The transformation of PETA from an animal rights orgainzation to a near-terrorist group.

From the Skeptical Enquirer:

PETA has provided cash to individuals who publicly engaged in terrorist acts. They donated $45,200 to ALF terrorist Rodney Coronado's legal defense. He's a convicted fire bomber, you know. He also pleaded guilty to distributing information on how to assemble explosive charges. Nice. They also 'loaned' Coronado's father $25,000 which has not been repaid and Dad has stated he doesn't expect PETA will want it back.

The ALF has openly advocated killing people for the cause. PETA has repeatedly refused to distance themselves from ALF.

There was an episode of Penn & Teller's BULLSHIT that covered the same ground, and they showed the documentation, including the contributions to Coronado.

By the way, PETA euthanizes many of the animals they've 'resucued'. As many as 1,000-plus in a year. And they picket animal shelters that euthanize animals.

Oh, and at least one of their raking officers has been using animal-based therapies to save their life.

Most sane animal rights groups hate PETA.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Pop Culture”