Yet another reason to think PETA people are fuckin nuts

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:11 am

FrankChurch wrote:You a vegetarian David?

I am, indeed (well, a pescatarian, or something like that -- I eat a lot of fish and molluscs, and eggs).

It is not primarily for personal heath or sentimental-moral reasons I choose to avoid land-based meats however, but a socio-political or ecological one. If meat-eating were not such a big contributor to the destruction of the earth as we know it, I would have no problem with it.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:28 pm

We need all those surplus crops to feed the animals. Keeps the price of our crops high so that third world crops cannot compete. Another reason why they rely on coca.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Meaning no harm to Vegitarians, I think that choice is important and applaud those who have the courage to follow their beliefs.

However, having been in a resteraunt and enjoying a lovely steak, extra rare, to have a Veggie actually walk over to my table and say "That is disgusting eating a dead animal. Have you any idea what your colon must look like?" gets on my nerves a bit. Mind you my response did NOT endear me to vegetarians every where when I said "No, I dont know what my colon looks like. But I know what your face will look like if you dont get out of mine. It will look like a fucking picasso!"

Normally I have a long slow burning fuse but to me that kind of intrusion on someone elses privacy is unacceptable. So I overreacted a tad. Not cool. But at least veggie hippy lady backed off. Quite quickly I seem to remember.

The only other thing that gets on my nerves about PETA people and ALF loons is that I wear a leather jacket. Its very nice. I have had it for about 15 years. It has the HR Giger painting Landscape 18 on the back (well part of it anyway) and having some clown come up to me and tell me a dumb animal used to wear it and still is is unacceptable. I have even have them threaten to take it off me and destroy it. This is a little like taking a Hells Angels patch from him and burning that. It means one thing. WAR!

As for PETA being slagged off by "Sane animal rights groups" I wasnt aware there were any. Any group which thinks an animal is more important than a human being needs to be locked away for a long time. Not all of them, just the really wacko out there loons. I still believe that most are well meaning, if misguided.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 am

I was always curious what Peta's position is on rats--you know, sewer rats? Should we just let them breed, infest our cities, bite our children, create another plague? You know, you never see one of these animals rights mooks coddling rats. How about bugs? Don't they deserve our love as well?

Save the roaches!

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 am

Save the mosquito.... Who cares that it spreads malaria and is responsible for more deaths every year than all the other animals in the world put together. Theyre animals and they have rights!! Just like all other plague spreaders....

I think their main problem is that they will say that poisoning them is cruel. I am sorry to say that if it wasnt for the design flaw in your basic rat then poison would not work. What is that flaw? They are unable to vomit. And how are we meant to control our rat population. I would like them to answer that one. And if they dont then I can fairly accuse them of only wanting to save the cute cuddly animals, condemning the ugly or the alien insectoid to death.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:52 am

There are legitimate and sane animal rights groups. The ASPCA, for example.

PETA's heart is in the right place, but their tactics are equivalent to those used by the anti-abortion movement. Same mindset, same approach. Regardless of the laws, they insist the rest of society mus conform to their standards or else. Suggesting we all eat less meat is one thing, telling you you're bad for doing so is another.

But, truth to tell, even the ardent omnivore Gordon Ramsay, after seeing two pigs he raised for the express purpose of eating get slaughtered has stated publicly that he understands why people go vegan. He's not giving ground on his beliefs regarding meat consumption, but he now sees the other side of the coin.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 am

I hate Ted Nugent, but you have to admit, he does make some good points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhf12BFB ... re=related

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Barber wrote:
But, truth to tell, even the ardent omnivore Gordon Ramsay, after seeing two pigs he raised for the express purpose of eating get slaughtered has stated publicly that he understands why people go vegan. He's not giving ground on his beliefs regarding meat consumption, but he now sees the other side of the coin.

Thats a very good example. And I do understand people wanting to do their own thing, fine by me, and I do understand they have a choice. I will even cater to that choice if i have a party by having a veggie option. You dont see them catering for me by having a meat otion at their party though.

I dont ram my opinions down their throat either, like they choose to do to me constantly for being a meat eating, leather wearing human. Nor do I watch what these pasty faced veggies read and run up to them shouting about how crap Judith Krantz is and shoving Ellison and Bradbury under their noses, demanding that they use the grey matter they profess of have.

Nor do I use guerilla tactics to bomb Quorn factories in a protest about the global vegetarian conspiracy....

I live and let live. All I ask is the same courtesy.

kevinkirby

Save the Norway

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:50 pm

As a one-time adopter of some pet rats from the Lower Haight, I must support PETA on the issue of the wild urban Norways. In two short years, I learned that these small creatures are far more personable than the vast majority of people; perhaps even more intelligent, as well. While I'm not in favor of those who -- like the inner-city "hotel" keepers -- deliberately introduce them to human environments, it still seems wrong to declare open season on them for food.

If more effort were put into eradicating diseases among the rodent populations (including the over-friendly pigeon species) and providing them with sterile dwellings and clean environments, then our government would have a bit less blood on its hands. Instead, rats are treated as disease-infested pariahs, when in fact they are our best friends. It's the big guys we have to worry about; the ones who go "psycho" and start deliberately spreading their diseases in the public lavatories. It's a fact that those paper toilet seat covers are there (in the decent places) for good reason. And, it's also a fact that some folks will take advantage of places that lack these "expensive" luxury items, and that a great percentage of modern infectious diseases are deliberately spread under the umbrella of third-world ownership.

Just because a foreign-owned (read, Pakistani) "hotel" pays large political bribes to various local/yokel short-term officials, it doesn't forgive the pigs who see this stuff and act like it isn't happening...

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:07 pm

The moral question about the human species, and its wholesale ravaging of this planet, pushing so many orders of life into extinction, isn't whether or not we should be meat eaters, since we are omnivorous by nature. It is that, from the outset 50,000 years ago, we exceeded our needs in what we'd take from the land with cold-blooded apathy.

As with all other animal species, fight-or-flight is coded in our genes as a survival mechanism. Yet, we are the only animal that engages in violence and torture when there is no threat. We are the only species that willingly inflicts pain and suffering intra-specifically, weather or not there is a need to.

This remains a malignancy among us to this day. We exploit the lower species, with no respect for them as beings, but as rigid commodity. Thus, we continue seeing the murder of intelligent and emotional creatures like the harp seals; abuse of those beautiful elephants in captivity; destruction of the orangs in Indonesia; and the swelling consumption of wilderness by those fucking lousy real estate developers. And that's the tip of the iceberg.

We owe so much to the planet for these crimes. It's definitely the argument of a cause that MUST be delivered rationally. I haven't been keeping up with PETA, but you're right about fanatical behavior. Passion is vital, of course. But lunatic acts of violence merely discredit such causes, inviting the perception that they are fringe issues led by a pack of loonies.

I DO like what I see the ASPCA doing. I like what Greenpeace does. I'd LIKE to see more powerful philanthropists commit to the cause. For instance, I've always believed that an option should be available to those animal shelters who hold to the blanket rule of euthanizing dogs and cats after something like 2 weeks; they'll DO it, even if they have empty cages remaining. I saved my cat from a shelter in 1997. She was one week from being killed there, even though there were ONLY a few cages occupied. I saw several LONG rows of empty cages in that place, and STILL they were going to kill her.

I'm sick of such apathy. I'm sick of our own destructive instincts. It's an important issue to me. And, so, naturally, I'm angered when fanatics run into Looneyville to represent the cause.

One method I find effective in getting the message out - even though it can ruin your Saturday night - is running video and film in crowded outside malls showing how horrendously companies in the meat industry treat animal stock. In what short life those creatures have, they should at least be able to enjoy it to the extent they can. I don't care if it's cows (which, by the way, contrary to the propaganda, are very bright animals) or chickens; I don't like subjecting them to long, slow torture.

When I saw those images myself, I ceased eating beef and chicken (a process that took me time, of course). So did my girlfriend of that time. I only eat fish these days. And I refuse to buy any products from a company if I learn it endorses cruelty.

I also like what Animal Planet is doing. Many of their documentaries - I think - are helping to waken people about the complexities of these species, so long dismissed by the human race in its arrogance - its malignant impulse to control, destroy, and inflict cruelty for its own sake.

Either way, ONE day we will have to meet the price of our actions.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:05 am

Obviously, man is the most vicious of animals. I blame this on bad diets and lack of sleep.

paul

Postby paul » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:23 am

I remember in high school (1984/85), my art teacher told a story (Apocryphal? Perhaps.) about another teacher that had gotten into trouble for a class project. The story goes that he had a freshman HS class, if memory serves, and they were each to raise a baby chick from the beginning of the school year until the end of the year, whereupon they were to kill the animal, and use its bones as a sculpture. Something about proving the intrinsical worth of Art that had been imbued with a personal sense of worth and concern, etc., ad confuseum.

Now, it's been 24 yrs so who knows what stuff i may be mis-remembering. I find it hard to believe that someone would do this and not expect a rash of hell from it. I just picture kids naming the damn things, then seeing the look of horror ( especially from the more squeamish ones) as they are expected to do the deed to their own; their 'kids' that they've raised and cared for, seen grow up for a year. Sounds more like a psychological experiment in the 50's.

Nothing immediately to do with PETA, but I can just imagine what they would make of that today.
The medium is the message.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:15 am

I suppose this would be a good time to point out that I am the CEO and so far only member of an eco-environmental group called FRIENDS OF THE FIRE ANT, or FOFA, for short.

We have a really cool t-shirt and occasionally put out a fact filled newsletter called BLISTER.

Wonderful little animals. Widely misunderstood. We're concerned citizens trying to change that.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:I suppose this would be a good time to point out that I am the CEO and so far only member of an eco-environmental group called FRIENDS OF THE FIRE ANT, or FOFA, for short.

We have a really cool t-shirt and occasionally put out a fact filled newsletter called BLISTER.

Wonderful little animals. Widely misunderstood. We're concerned citizens trying to change that.

Yes, but is it true you tried to hold a sit-in once???
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Yes, but is it true you tried to hold a sit-in once???

Well we don't like to talk about that here at FOFA. We settled out of court, no harm done, 'nuff said...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”