Picture This

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Picture This

Postby kevinkirby » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:55 am

News about the in-progress Trek Flick, a movie due in theaters one month ago but thankfully pushed back until May, keeps trickling out in dribs and drabs.

A deep link to one of the wallpaper pics available in the official website:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/downloads/ ... height=768

What if this new crew makes it into some big screen remakes of the original program?

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:57 am

Here's the trailer for the film. Leonard Nimoy is in it, by the way, as an aged Spock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuksQwGOtVs

And so what if indeed this new crew makes it into some big screen remakes of the original program? Then what?

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:59 am

kevinkirby

e pluribus recta

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, for one thing: Star Trek XII -- Planet of the Salt Vampire?

It seems very unlikely, though. The new film's producer has already declared his version to be totally alternate-universe-like from the old shows.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Nimoy must be low on cash.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:57 pm

Looking forward to it!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:32 am

I'm afraid the first thing I thought when I saw the dude playing the young Spock was Saturday Night Live sketch...

The new film's producer has already declared his version to be totally alternate-universe-like from the old shows.

Which explains why they're apparently dumping all the mythology built up in the course of the TV show. Wonder what the hardcore Trekkies will think? Or will they just be happy for one more movie?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Even as we speak, the two factions are having it out with crisknives and slingshots. A third faction, those devoted to the Next Generation, waits patiently on the sidelines as the old Trekster Corps devours itself.

For some, the idea of a Kirk without Shatner provokes frenzied hair-ripping and wild ululations of grief. Yet for others, the logic of total concept-rebooting seems so inevitably undeniable that no room for argument can be objectively tolerated.

Anyway, under the original concept, this film would have played its course through an entire month by now. Keanu Reeves, in The Day the Earth Stood Still, would have been tough competition in that week's box office face-off. Any opening position, other than number 1, would likely have doomed the current Trek franchise.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:40 pm

This sort of thing really amuses me.

I will admit: I was an early Trek junkie. (Yes, Trekkie.)

It started in late 1966 when I saw this show at a friend's house that had a weird salt-eating monster on it. The show became regular viewing for me, and my father once he discovered the show at my hounding. (I was five. You don't recommend aything at five. You hound.)

I was thrilled with the animated Trek in the mid-70s, and attended one of the first Trek cons held in Philadelphia. Back when no one really knew what to do at this sort of thing. (Some of the "events" were truly bizarre, including one that was a multimedia show with digitized music, overhead projectors with some sort of Stanley Kubrickian 2001 oil/paint color slides that could be manipulated with a stir stick; and Trek-related stills all projected on a screen. At 2am. Pretty heady stuff for a thirteen year old...)

The Bellevue Stratford Hotel.

I watched and enjoyed TNG, was a little colder with DS9, Voyager and Enterprise but still watched.

Went to all of the films, even the bad ones.

So all this crap about the fans not liking something and somehow being angry with the creative types who want to put a new spin on a tired product? They can go lump themselves, to be honest.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

kevinkirby

Trek was Always There for You

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm

I remember seeing *one* episode, back in the sixties as a guest of somebody whose kids watched the show avidly. It definitely caused me to plead for more; until, soon after, tv got sworn off in our family until the mid-seventies.

But that wasn't all. While staying back east for a year in 1973, after hearing about the series from an uncle (and even learning about the infamous 3rd season quality dropoff) the Blish story versions were one of my demands at that time.

So anyway, by the time I actually watched most episodes of Star Trek -- as a result of visiting college dormies who aired them nightly -- every adventure had already been long committed to memory, in short story form.

It seems like each movie has some significance for me, too, at the time they appeared in the theaters. I've never seen the entire run of TNG but both DS9 & Voyager were watched with some regularity in places where I'd been living those years.

Enterprise, I don't know much about. I saw maybe five or six of these, one with a sort-of apocalyptic ending shot that I tried to show to a friend on a hotel tv during some gaming con -- but the friend showed no interest, as apparently did most of the viewing public.

If I was in Pictures, I tell yeh's, one thing that would interest me would definitely be the Trek shows still without a movie version. DS9, Voyager, even Enterprise; all of these seem worthy of some sort of widescreen treatment, no matter how small the budget!

Return to “Pop Culture”