Spirit Fizzles Bigtime -- Too Damp to Spark Up?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Spirit Fizzles Bigtime -- Too Damp to Spark Up?

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I missed The Spirit. Still want to see it too.

Did you hear that it died the death? Couldn't even swing half its budget. And it was a fairly low budget, at that.

Now it's in the red and a possible choice for the dvd art movie circuit. No surprise? Well, it might have been a wonder if Miller had turned out also to be a directorial wunderkind, amongst all the other greatnesses. Oh well, it's true that even Spielberg had to go back to film school.

Still want to see The Spirit, though...

Anybody here seen it?

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:35 am

I saw the early trailers & promo. It bugged me greatly, because it looked more like Miller was out to do Sin City II, but I held out hope because Eisner was supposedly Miller's mentor & all that.

Nope. Sin City II.

Sad. "The Spirit" put a wonderfully odd spin on noir & hard-boiled, & I feel (IMNSHO) that it helped define the genre(s?) for at least the next decade, with irony & a strange sensuality & a distinct "magic realism" edge that doesn't show up half enough in the United States. And I didn't get any of that from the film.

Quite worth a watch, but will be a downer for anyone even passing familiar with Eisner.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:56 am

Coraline is getting good reviews too. Does Gaiman ever sleep?

Also heard Koonz writes seven days a week! See, that's one thing I will never understand--if I was rolling in doe I'd take a vacation..lol

Return to “Pop Culture”