Scans Daily conversation

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Alan Coil

Scans Daily conversation

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 am

Okay, I've opened the topic for those who might want to discuss the Scans Daily situation.

In essence, Scans Daily was a Live Journal account where comic book fans discussed comic books. It was shut down by Live Journal coincidentally with the arrival of Peter David's informing Marvel that there might be a copyright infringement happening at the site.

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:57 am

Alan,

I am taking you up on your invitation to respond here, if only because you have apparently misread, misinterpreted and mincemeated my entire post. Whether this is because of your reading skills or my writing skills is a separate matter, but you seriously loon-boy out there with your responses.

I am not "3 days late" in mentioning this issue because it was not mentioned at the Pavilion three days ago or two days ago or ten years ago, therefore unless there is some restriction on posting on the Pavilion about things that have happened on a specific day then this is a ridiculous charge; I did not misrepresent anything, and allowed for my details about the particulars to be in error, but in any case you have basically called me a liar (or at least a misrepresenter) without stating exactly why, which is a chickenshit act of the highest level; who the fuck cares if Scans Daily has started up somewhere else, it was shut down at LiveJournal and anyway it's not even the point, or even a point, and you are just being nerdy and nitpicky here; for you to post "Next, the entire thing happened because Scans Daily violated copyright. You'll find no sympathy for that here" means 1) you didn't read my post 2) you didn't understand my post 3) you were in such a hurry to play volunteer Pavilion mod that you deliberately misread my post, take your pick; and I know Peter David and Harlan Ellison are good friends, that is one reason I posted about the issue here, you ninny. If you read my post and came away thinking I was coming down on Peter David and defending the pruveyors of Scans_Daily then I seriously advise you to re-read it or check your caffeine level or something because even I am not that bad a writer.

If you personally plan to engage in a "long, crapfest of an argument", knock yourself out, but as you go along please at least try to crapfest against things people actually said and meant.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm

John E Williams wrote:Alan,

...you seriously loon-boy out there with your responses.

I am not "3 days late" in mentioning this issue because it was not mentioned at the Pavilion three days ago or two days ago or ten years ago, therefore unless there is some restriction on posting on the Pavilion about things that have happened on a specific day then this is a ridiculous charge; I did not misrepresent anything, and allowed for my details about the particulars to be in error, but in any case you have basically called me a liar (or at least a misrepresenter) without stating exactly why, which is a chickenshit act of the highest level; who the fuck cares if Scans Daily has started up somewhere else, it was shut down at LiveJournal and anyway it's not even the point, or even a point, and you are just being nerdy and nitpicky here; for you to post "Next, the entire thing happened because Scans Daily violated copyright. You'll find no sympathy for that here" means 1) you didn't read my post 2) you didn't understand my post 3) you were in such a hurry to play volunteer Pavilion mod that you deliberately misread my post, take your pick; and I know Peter David and Harlan Ellison are good friends, that is one reason I posted about the issue here, you ninny. If you read my post and came away thinking I was coming down on Peter David and defending the pruveyors of Scans_Daily then I seriously advise you to re-read it or check your caffeine level or something because even I am not that bad a writer.

If you personally plan to engage in a "long, crapfest of an argument", knock yourself out, but as you go along please at least try to crapfest against things people actually said and meant.

JohnE--

Let me say that my sentence {{Lastly, as this is going to be a long, crapfest of an argument, I'd suggest we take it over to the forum under Pop Culture.}} is strongly worded. I was in a hurry to get offline because I had an appointment. What it should have said was '...as this has the potential to be a long crapfest of an argument..."

Also, I did not respond with intent of making an enemy. My words were blunt

point by point:

Yes, I am a loon-boy.

3 days late as in this has been ground to dust by the parties involved starting on Feb. 28. Today is day 4 of the discussion.

"...but in any case you have basically called me a liar (or at least a misrepresenter) without stating exactly why, which is a chickenshit act of the highest level..."

Not chickenshit because if I were chickenshit, I'd not respond at all. Or respond here. And I didn't mean to say that you were a liar, but I would say that, as written, your post appears somewhat misinformed.

Here is the time line as presented by Peter David.

He went to SD because he heard that some of his Young Justice panels were posted there in a humorous manner.

He saw what appeared to him to be the entire issue of X-Factor #40.

He notified Marvel's legal department of the potential copyright infringement.

He tried to converse with some people at SD, got flamed, and left.

Marvel notified Peter David that when they got to the site, the scans were already gone.

The site got closed down by LiveJournal.

This does not mean Peter David got the site closed down. This does not mean that Marvel got the site shut down. LiveJournal shut it down. That people are blaming Peter David means that they are not listening to what has been said, or that they are reacting emotionally.

"2) you didn't understand my post" Obviously. Can't defend that.

"3) you were in such a hurry to play volunteer Pavilion mod that you deliberately misread my post" Deliberately misread your post? Nope. Did not do so. I responded to what I interpreted from your words. Trying to play mod? Possibly, because I have seen what this subject did to other sites, where the responses have been 10-20-30 times more than normal. That's not what the Pavilion is for. And it's also the type of subject that could become as contentious as the Israel/Hamas discussion. I was merely hoping to keep it off the Pavilion.

""DIAF" -- Internetspeak for "die in a fire". Said advisement to self-immolate is apparently a common communication among online netspeakers, but since Peter David lives in some alien land called The Real World, he took some exception to this."

Peter David had never heard this before. He has been online since 1986, yet didn't know it, so, your comment about "some alien land" sounds as if you agreed with the SD people. Misinterpretation by me again? Quite possible.

And, finally, as this had not been mentioned at the Pavilion before your post, I had to wonder why someone would post it there. The only reasons I could see was that it was posted there to stir shit up, or to get Harlan riled up. Other than in the comic book community or the SD community, this is rather an unimportant subject.

So, I apologize for being so strongly worded on the Pavilion. It was not my intent to say that you were a liar, simply that there was more information. Perhaps had I not been in such a hurry, I would have taken a few minutes to better think out what I wanted to say.

Alan Coil

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:58 pm

Alan,

All I can say besides "thanks for your response" is to suggest that policing the Pavilion is neither your responsibility nor your right. But since you were wondering, my reasons for posting about the Scans_Daily debacle in the Pavilion are the following: it involved a friend of Harlan's, in a situation well-known to Harlan (internet thieves), it was about a subject I believe to be of interest and relevance to the Pavilion regulars, and it was something I wanted to address my own feelings about in a place where I was likely to find like-minded people. None of these motives are unreasonable nor unprecedented on the Pavilion.

I suspect, mostly on the basis of my keen observational skills, that any shit-stirring or Harlan-riling on my part would be swiftly put down by Rick or Harlan with very little effort, thus negating the need for Alan Coil to come trundling in like a rhino putting out a fire every time he is alarmed by some stranger's post (and completely misinterpreting said post in the process).

I might be far more inclined to appreciate your apology were it not interlaced with continual scoldings and impugning of my motives on your part, but we can't always get what we want, now can we?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey, I may come off as an arrogant f**k, but at least I ain't FrankChurch.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm

Alan Coil wrote:Hey, I may come off as an arrogant f**k, but at least I ain't FrankChurch.

Alan. Viewed from my perspective, you didn't read all of John's post and arrived at the wrong conclusion about his intent.

Department of "For What It's Worth".

(And dragging poor Frankie into this thread. You oughtta be ashamed!!!) :twisted:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:39 am

As I stated above, I can't deny I mis-interpreted what JohnE had to say. I was in a hurry because I had an appointment to get to. Haste makes waste. My bad, as they say today.

Return to “Pop Culture”