Doctor Who - Season 31

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Doctor Who - Season 31

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:10 pm

Weren't those the wrong shape? Because they couldn't get them completely round or something? And aren't those insanely, holy grail calibre rare?

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:08 am

Yes - neither the Louis Marx or the Rolykins are that accurate but they were great for the time (1964/5) - "Empire Made" too I think though I don't have them to hand to check. They cost me a lot some 20 years or so ago so I have no idea what they go for these days.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:11 am

So the Daleks aren't knobby, toilet plunger armed salt and pepper shakers any more?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:35 am

They switched to a different brand of pepper shaker. I liked the old pepper shakers just fine. What is with this modern fetish for redesinging everything in sight? Next thing you know they'll be redesigning the pyramids.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 am

You mean the pyramids aren't round anymore?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:52 am

Saw the conclusion of The Weeping Angels two parter yesterday and as enjoyable as it was I find myself wondering why almost every sf/fantasy show these days has to have a story arc. JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Liked the clear nod to The Moonbase though....

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun May 02, 2010 5:47 am

Hated the first part. Loved the second part. Humour without irony, sentiment without melodrama, vulnerability without self pity, and adventure trumps all. Hoping the later is a sign of things to come.

I for one actually enjoy the story-arcs. They tend to keep me comming back. I find that the single episode story format isn't very suited for Doctor Who. The episodes just aren't long enough to establish themselves. Even in new Who, the best episodes tend to be (not always, but often enough INMNSHO) the multi-parters. In lieu of a proper serial format, a story arc is at least a reasonable substitute.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun May 02, 2010 5:55 am

I'm still mad that the Cybermen did so poorly against the Daleks. . .

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 am

Well I go back to the earliest days when you saw one 25 minute episode a week (with a fade to black around halfway through to allow advert breaks for possible overseas sales - how times have changed now an hour's TV is 43 minutes in duration) and if you missed it then that was likely to be it - and sadly is now for over a hundred of them...

That format at least allowed for some quite involved plots that didn't have to be rushed through although watching some of them now there was clearly padding when the budget had been exhausted or another script was late or had fallen through.

What amazed me when Day Of Armaggedon (Dalek Masterplan 2) turned up a few years ago was how dialogue laden it was - almost theatrical. It just shows how the audience's attention span has changed since 1965.

I'd rather see a three parter and a two parter every season than a story arc.

Years ago Daleks vs Cybermen was every fanboy's dream (and was apparently floated as an idea in the late 1960s although probably just in the BBC bar!) - shame RTD botched it.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon May 03, 2010 3:44 am

One of my most cherished experiences growing up was listening to the dialogue of Robert Holmes. He did it best I think, but many writers tried to follow his lead. It's probably the thing I miss most about classic series. . .

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:05 am

Oooh The Weeping Angels are back. What fun. And River Song, though I will not spoil anything for you statesiders who have yet to see these episodes. Needless to say as a fan I enjoyed them, though they are perhaps a little flawed. But all in all most enjoyable.

I have to say that the weeping angels are perhaps the best and most creative monster in Who history. Not to mention the most creepy. The original episode "Blink" was just fantastic and deeply scary.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 04, 2010 1:04 pm

My kids were asking today "could a Weeping Angel kill a Dalek"?

They didn't prepare me for that at Teacher's College.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Steve Evil wrote:My kids were asking today "could a Weeping Angel kill a Dalek"?

Yes, they could. As long as the Dalek was looking the other way (remember, the Angels evidently can affect power sources).

Once the Dalek looks the other way and is powered down, it's simply a matter of finding a can opener.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Indeed.

Now as a corollary to the question: can a Dalek exterminate a weeping Angel? What would happen if you shot one? In last week's episode a squad of soldiers keep pointing their guns at the angels (and that's not giving anything away) and I kept thinking "would that do them any good?" 'cause if there's one thing I learned from the Pertwee era, it's "Guns don't kill Monsters".

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Now as a corollary to the question: can a Dalek exterminate a weeping Angel?

Not to go too far into the "My mythology can beat up your mythology" realm, but I would not expect so. The way the angels have been described is pretty much invulnerable when in stone form, and only lethal when unobserved. So while a Dalek might turn its firepower on the stone angel it will be of no use.

An untested technique would be to close your eyes and sweep the room with firepower. Not sure if this would work, but at least it gives you the chance of hitting an angel in corporeal form.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”