Doctor Who - Season 31

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Doctor Who - Season 31

Postby Steve Evil » Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Okay, waffle time.

I have come to reconsider David Tennant's last words as Doctor. Not the sequence, which was contrived in the extreme, but the actually words. Originally I had thought them whiny, a bitchy-moany self pitying utterance from an overtly sensitive 21st century man.

But then I started thinking that my own last words will probably be something similar.

The darkness will close in, I will feel myself slipping away, I will grasp at sweet air and realize for the first time how much I truly love the taste of it, I will pry my eyelids open and try and take in all the wonderous colours around me, and I will think of all the stories I will never write, the places I will never see, the women I will never fuck, the books I will never read, the songs I will never hear again and the people I never got to say goodbye to over tea, and will probably mutter, not some grand piece of poetry or philosophy, but the almost pathetic protest:

"I don't want to go. . ."

FADE OUT.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Well on that cheerful note let me ask a question if I may.

My exprience of Dr Who is mainly Tom Baker reruns on PBS channel eight in Atlanta way back when leavened with a few episodes starring other actors. None of the revival stuff. Sooooo....

What's the rationale with Dr Who's "death" and "rebirth" anyway (other than to explain a new actor taking over the role)? Are we to understand that they are the same person? A regeneration rather than a real death?

When oh when are the producers going to have the balls to have a FEMALE Dr Who? She's probably too old for the role now but my first choice would have been Helen Mirren. Now? Cate Blanchett! Yeah!

Daleks vs Cybermen? Isn't that a bit like Gort vs Robbie the Robot? A nice idea but it's only going to end one way.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Ezra - Yes, you're correct that the Time Lord regeneration is a device to bring in new actors. What's beautiful here is that they have turned the convenience device into an actual character element. The conceit of the regeneration is that their bodies have suffered a fatal blow -- but they have the ability to channel energy in such a way that they rebuild the cells into a new physical appearance, which also alters the personality of the doctor.

THe fascinating part is that while each actor taking over the role is allowed to make their own mark upon it, they have to adhere to the history of the character as an experience their embodiment went through, as well as having some of the mental baggage accumulated along the way. They are different "psyches", but they are all the same character. It would be as if all the actors who have portrayed MacBeth did so sequentially and had to add the previous actor's intepretation to their own.

They have succeeded for the most part, though there are one or two weaker characterizations. I believe Tennant was one of the two best, and that Matt Smith -- so far -- seems to be heading in the right direction. If he can avoid some of the overblown theatrics of Tennant's reign (the flying Doctor and Master come immediately to mind) he will have a long and successful run. It really comes down to the writing, in my opinion.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:21 am

It really comes down to the writing but the concept of "regeneration" (or "renewal" as it was described when William Hartnell collapsed to the floor of the Tardis and became Patrick Troughton at the end of The Tenth Planet) was a brilliant concept back in 1966. I was lucky enough to see this at the time and it was baffling yet very exciting.

Matt Smith is VERY Troughtonesque and that is fine in my book. I think this series is so far the strongest since it returned in 2005 and we have The Silurians, Cybermen (although I wish they'd be brave and give us the Tomb versions or better still The Tenth Planet ones!) and presumably those admittedly clunky looking Daleks to come....

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed May 12, 2010 2:36 pm

So what was it like when you saw it for the first time? I remember when I was about five or six, and saw they replaced the big curly haired guy with a thin smooth haired guy and the tv-anouncer casually mentioned a "new Doctor", I actually thought nothing of it. So many wierd things happened on that show, it seemed just the kind of theing they'd do!

Apparently Terry Pratchet recently took a swipe at certain elements of New Who. See folks: it's not just the old school fans!

I loved the scene in the last one when. . .oh wait, most of you haven't seen it yet.

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Even though I wasn't quite 8 years old I shall never forget the Hartnell/Troughton regeneration - so simple and yet so effective unlike the whizz bang things we have to put up with today.

I do like Smith and Gillan though - and I loved the Hartnell library card too!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat May 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Spoiler? Maybe? Don't take chances, BUT:

I hate, hate hate the new look Silurians. They look like Star Trek TNG aliens now, which is as harsh a criticism as I can make of a skiffy monster. Shame!

adriane17

Postby adriane17 » Sun May 23, 2010 2:49 am

The original Silurians had by far the best design and even though they were "men in rubber suits" they looked and moved well. Always looked as if they were "getting excited" when they killed anyone too!

The budget for Season 31 was apparently cut so I was hoping for a few more cheap and cheerful costumes - part of what makes Doctor Who so endearing - but what we got was a hideous Dalek redesign...

Bring back Moonbase/Tomb Cybermen!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:37 am

F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

Torchwood's fourth season is going to run on premium cable, not on BBCA next year.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox ... -2011.html
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:30 am

but what we got was a hideous Dalek redesign...

I thought it was a big, weird, futuristic Fanta commercial with all the cheery colors...

Torchwood's fourth season is going to run on premium cable, not on BBCA next year.

I'm mixed on this. I'm annoyed by the need to stoop to subscribing to Starz or wait for DVD (and I now understand the ire of Dr. Who fans that don't have access to BBC America.) On the plus side, Starz has a stream deal with Netflix for their original programming, so if you're a Netflixer, you may already be set.

But I'm glad that this apparently came about because Fox took a pass on the opportunity to make an American Torchwood, because that whole concept made my dinner twitch:

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/B ... 24284.html

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Barber wrote:F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

Not bad.

Not much of a melody, and a little short on lyric content, but it's got a definite beat and you can dance to it.

I'd give it a 4.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:10 pm

David Loftus wrote:
Barber wrote:F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

F*ck!

Not bad.

Not much of a melody, and a little short on lyric content, but it's got a definite beat and you can dance to it.

I'd give it a 4.

Rap. Reduced to the basics.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, the season finale just finished, and, well, what can I say? Never saw THAT one comming! Now, the question is, can Stephen Moffat maintain the momentum and bring it to a satisfactory conclusion, or will he wave a magic wand like Davies always did?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 am

Haven't seen the finale yet, but chanced upon several eps on BBCA. I'm enjoying Matt Smith's intepretation of the Doctor, but am a bit disenchanted with Smith's tendency to tuck his chin down a bit more often than is necessary to emote. Where Tennant was up and open, Smith is playing tucked and reserved. Not 100% comfortable with it yet. The stories are definitely of a lower volume than Davies' were, and -- again, haven't seen the finale -- I do like the set up of the majority of what has gone so far. I had a chance to rewatch The Library episodes (Dr Song's first appearance), and it has an interesting reverberance when taken in connection to her more recent appearance.

Possibly more after I watch the finale.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 pm

It's taken me a while to get into Matt Smith, and I don't think it's quite happened yet. I mean, its happening slowly, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't mind him being reserved, and I certainly don't mind him being being absent minded (which I was actually hoping for), but I'm finding his performance almost. . .forgetable? Like he's going through the David Tenant motions, and only slowly developing his own take. Which is too bad because I think there are some very good ideas floating around in there. The emotional development is intricately connected to the story-arc, it seems to be going somewhere interesting, and the finale is the culmination of it. I want to call it "brilliant", but I can't, precicely because I haven't gotten that attached to this Doctor yet. As if it weren't quite ready to do this thing yet, because the groundwork is still so tentative.

Does that make any sense? Maybe after you've seen it.

Return to “Pop Culture”