Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:24 pm

Sea Hunt! One of my favorite shows when I was a kid. For years, I swam better under water than on the surface because of that show.

Funny thing though. I never learned to scuba dive. Ah, well.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:50 pm

Certain childhood favourites are best left un-revisited. . .

Yes. One of mine was an early sixties children's show here in the states called DIVER DAN. I must have been very small but I remember the show. Diver Dan was a deep sea diver in one of those old diving suits with the riveted helmet and the weighted Frankenstein boots and the big ole oxygen line. He would come down under the water and have adventures with his fish puppet friends. The only other human character in the show was Miss Minerva, the Queen of the Sea. I guess she was shy because every time Diver Dan came around she would swim off and hide from him. And it broke my little heart that Diver Dan and Miss Minerva couldn't get together. Well about ten years ago they released a bunch of the episodes on DVD. I almost bought one but I realized that I preferred my sweet and sad memories of the show as a child to the experience of seeing it as an adult.

Another one that comes to mind is a 50s horror film called FROM HELL IT CAME. I don't really remember the plot except it had something to do with a witch doctor in the jungle and revenge from beyond the grave. What I do remember is it had a tree monster that uprooted itself and walked, with big eyes and a leering toothsome grin. This movie is available on DVD too. I'm sure it's probably a low budget piece of crap. But when I saw it as a little kid I believed and it scared the living shit out of me. It didn't help that there was a big ole oak tree right outside my bedroom window. It was ok in the daylight but at night when the moon rose and the wind whipped up and the shadows of the branches played across the foot of my bed... So I don't want to see it now.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:12 pm

I may have to rethink Harlan and Josh's taste:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/machete_kills/

The Young Turks hated it too. With Dune as well, Harlan sees things differently in films.

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 pm

MACHETE KILLS isn't high art, but it doesn't have to be. It's Robert Rodriguez, Danny Trujillo, and one big ass hunk of slivering iron. What else do you want? :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 am

Duaneeeeeeeeeeeee

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:56 pm

Checked out Ellison buddy Robin Williams' new show, The Crazy Ones. Didn't think I'd like it.

I do.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Tells you a lot about the state of movies.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Ezra, your bud Dawkins is on Maher tonight. Al Sharpton and Michael Moore are there to set him straight.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:36 pm

THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? (1969).

By the time I reached the end of this miserable film, (miserable in terms of content matter as opposed to quality, BTW) I wasn't so much horrified by the sociopathic behaviour of Gig Young's Rocky, but rather Jane Fonda's bovine-like acceptance of her lot in life. You'd think the average reaction of a human being who discovers the prize money for a brutal Depression-era dance marathon will be greatly reduced by various bills and assorted B.S. - a human being who's already been dragged through the gutter more times than reality itself, for all its petty cruelty, should have allowed - would be something besides a sort of meek shrug of the shoulders.

Sometimes I wonder if ennui and despondence can be just as much an obstacle to social justice as simply "going with the flow." When Edmund Burke said all that's required for the triumph of evil is for good men (or women) to do nothing, I doubt he'd want to know just how damn prescient he really was.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:29 am

Sling Blade, freakin classic. The one film that has a scene of justifiable murder. No matter how you run it around in your head the dude had to die.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:45 pm

We watched what amounted to a Sleepy Hollow marathon over the weekend.If you haven't seen it, the show is a Fox Network "supernatural" tv series.Three episodes we'd missed and were on the DVR. I am, so far, impressed with the show, acting, writing and mythology. Several stories have not gone for the easy cliche. A recent one introduced the second horseman (Pestilence) in an unusual way (I won't reveal more). The show's conceit is that the legendary Headless Horseman is in reality the Fourth Horseman, Death.

Certainly worthy of a glance if you like this sort of programming.

(Also, John Noble, from Fringe, is joining the series, which promises to improve an already solid cast.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:29 pm

But Tango wanted to watch Animal Planet and was depressed the rest of the night. Poor Tango. :)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote:But Tango wanted to watch Animal Planet and was depressed the rest of the night. Poor Tango. :)

:lol:

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:12 am

apropos of Ezra's comment: one of my favorite shows when a toddler was Felix the Cat, "the wonderful wonderful cat." I don't think I would want to rewatch them now. Sometimes it is better to leave innocence innocent.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:57 am

diane bartels wrote:apropos of Ezra's comment: one of my favorite shows when a toddler was Felix the Cat, "the wonderful wonderful cat." I don't think I would want to rewatch them now. Sometimes it is better to leave innocence innocent.

I liked Felix, too. There was some actual science fiction in that show, what with Poindexter and his interests getting them into all kinds of "situations." I wonder if The Big Bang is somewhat modeled on Felix...

Return to “Pop Culture”