Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 am

Film scores tend to suck nowadays. Generic, predictable and manipulative, John Berry is sadly missed. Apparently, when asked what makes a good Bond soundtrack, his response was "remember: it's all about cock".

swp

Postby swp » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:00 am

I wonder if Danny Elfman, former frontman for Oingo Boingo, will be remembered as fondly?
swp

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:12 am

swp wrote:I wonder if Danny Elfman, former frontman for Oingo Boingo, will be remembered as fondly?

I absolutely think that he will. His scores are as definable as Barry's (or John Williams, for that matter).
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Cock!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 pm

SWP: IMHO his score for the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas ranks right up there with the best!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Can't stand Elfman.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Here's proof (as if any were needed) I am unique in the universe. I just watched Star Trek: The motion(less)picture and I loved it.

Granted: the first half hour is more of less unwatchable, all stilted dialogue (consisting mainly of operational commands) and contrived plot points to get the original crew together, but damn, once they went inside the cloud. . .

The whole film from then on was an excercise in curiosity, gap-mouthed wide-eyed wonder. About meeting one's maker, pondering existence, asking " is this all that I am? is there nothing more?" (direct quote). No battles, no shooting or killing or fighting. Just exploration. . .

I dunno: for all its flaws, I found it alot more thought provoking than its better regarded sequals, which were basically shoot-em ups, and the remake, which was basically a shoot 'em up video game.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:08 pm

I'm curious if you watched the film as originally released or in its Director's cut version, Steve.

I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment if it's the latter. The effects in the original version we simply too muddy and dark to create that sense of wonder you describe (at least to me). It was certainly a more epic film than the others in the (film) series -- which is something I appreciated about J.J. Abram's reboot as well.

(The reboot stole just about everything from previous ST films, but in the process improved upon the elements and created a larger landscape (spacescape) in which the characters played.)

Where Trek excels is when it asks big questions and doesn't get trite about the answers (what does it mean to be human/alive?). When the consequences are devastating (the destruction of Vulcan; the survival of whales; sacrificing your own needs for the greater good; the death of close friends). When characterization is as important as visualization (ST2; ST3; ST4; ST6; ST8; ST)

My dos centavos.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't think it was the cut: there were many scenes missing which I swore were in the film (ie: Scotty talking about blowing the anti-matter drive as a last resort, Aleya healing Checkov.. . ).

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Has anybody seen these new versions of the original series where they substitute new digital special effects for the original space scenes? I always thought the cheesiness of the original effects was part of its charm. And what total disrespect for the people who produced the original series that has provided such a cash cow for 40 years worth of TV & movie executives!

Will the teenyboppers' heads explode if they don't see CGI?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:25 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Has anybody seen these new versions of the original series where they substitute new digital special effects for the original space scenes?

Yes: I think they're dreadful distractions. The new effects are so bloody incongruous with the look and tone of the program, it feels like watching to sets of film spliced together. An utterly pointless excercise, no better than those Star Wars vandalizations.

In fact, nine times out of ten I find CGI less realistic than even the cheapest model work: a model is at least tangible, an object which exists in the real world. But computer generated images have no presence at all.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 pm

While I have not seen the renmastered versions of the original Star Trek, but have seen both the original and Director's cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and much prefer the latter, as Wise's version just felt like a much more thoughtful film, with far better pacing. Been a long time since I saw either version, though, so my memories of both films are somewhat hazy.

I did enjoy the reboot of Star Trek also, though. Was it much more action oriented? Yes, and over the top in places, plus the use of "red matter" was bone-jarringly dumb and distracting. With that said, the film worked for me. I believed the newer interpretations of characters I grew up with and, as a divorcee, laughed out loud for the explanation of Bones. I thought characterization was paid attention to in the film, espeically when compared against other Trek films, like the one with Spock's brother or Nemesis
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:39 am

Well I have to confess you guys have made me want to go back and revisit ST:TMP which in its original version I thought utterly dreadful.

And though I was less enamored of the reboot (its possible I'm just not the audience they have in mind) I do wonder what's next. Personally I would take them out into the unknown and have a real adventure with something completely new. No Kllngons, no Romulans, no namechecking some scenario in the original show. No scene in spacedock! But the first commandment seems to be Though shall not piss off the Trekkies so I ain't holding my breath.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:27 pm

I wonder if any old school hard core Trekkies realized that the reboot copmpletely nullified the entire Star Trek universe. Time travellers went back, destroyed Vulcan, and completely changed history. All the events of the original series, the next gerneation and deep sapce nine have bascially been erased, or at least utterly altered. Did anyone notice?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Did anyone notice? Hell yeah, they noticed. All of them. Some were mightily displeased.

And the audience for the shoot-em-up trek films were not the core fans. They were trying to appeal to a wider audience.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Pop Culture”