Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks to Hulu Plus, I've gotten to see movies I've been unable to get access to, such as EYES WITHOUT A FACE and THE WAGES OF FEAR. No commercials on those, thank goodness. I also got to see MAN FROM EARTH. The TV fare, however does have the commercials. Even TALES FROM TOMORROW, the first SF TV series.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Hulu Plus is probably worth the price of admission for the Criterion Collection all on its own; while not complete, it is a rather comprehensive representation of what Criterion has put out on disc, at least on the foreign side of their plate.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:10 am

I will kiss Doug on the forehead for that comment. But that is a given. The Criterion collection is Godly, in a secular sense.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Criterion? Uh-uh. Scream Factory is the closest I'll allow a home video label to being a genuine deity.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:09 am

While I doff my hat at the Criterion line for putting out some Jen-You-Whine classics, they also include schlock like Alphaville. I know SF fans like to brag on this thing 'cause, like, a real honest-to-goodness French auteur made it and it's, like, skiffy....but it's a muddled piece of crap. I finally got around to seeing it a few years back after having grown up hearing about how it's one of the top 10 or 20 greatest SF flicks of all time and I was...well, disappointed is an understatement.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:03 am

Star Trek was full of scientifically bad nonsense. "parsec." What the fuck is that?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 am

FrankChurch wrote:Star Trek was full of scientifically bad nonsense. "parsec." What the fuck is that?

It's a measure of distance. Parallax of one arcsecond, which comes to about 3.26 light years. A standard unit of astronomy for objects outside the solar system.

You were saying something about scientifically bad nonsense?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 am

Not directing this at anyone in particular, but it is immensely annoying when people decide to criticize something of which they apparently know next to nothing.

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:32 am

Many moons ago (late 60s, I think it was) the Chicago PBS station ran foreign films on Friday night -- they did that for about a year if memory serves. They ran their offerings and then repeated them and then ran 'em once more. Everything was shown three times during that year. (First time I saw Grand Illusion, Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, Kwaidan, and a bunch more.) Alphaville was in the selections, and I watched it all three times and still couldn't figure out who was doing what to whom or why they were doing it.

Re: parsec -- wasn't there a line in Star Wars that used parsec as a measure of time rather than distance?
--tr

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:45 am

Mark, I got the info from Carl Sagan.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mark, I got the info from Carl Sagan.

What info?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Re: parsec -- wasn't there a line in Star Wars that used parsec as a measure of time rather than distance?

Yeah, they completely misunderstood its meaning, but then, Star Wars isn't science fiction.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:43 pm

Star Trek was full of scientifically bad nonsense. "parsec." What the fuck is that?

Mark, I got the info from Carl Sagan.

The info about STAR TREK having some bad science? I can buy that, but you didn't need Carl Sagan for that.

About the parsec being bad science? You're gonna need a citation for that claim, bub. Herbert Hall Turner was no slouch with the universe.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Most science fiction, btw, has bent, bogus, or bad science in it. If the stuff was actually about the science it would be the biggest fail in literary history. But it's not, so...

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Ironically, it's sometimes when the author stretches what's known to be possible that they can be the most prescient. For example, when H. G. Wells wrote THE WORLD SET FREE aka, THE LAST WAR, atomic theory was still controversial, not to mention the idea of deriving power from the atom. And yet, on the eve of World War One, he published a book where airplanes were dropping atomic bombs on cities, destroying them. In fact Wells was the first to coin the term Atomic Bomb.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Pop Culture”