Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Unca Harlan himself once said that it's not about realism so much as verisimilitude.

Personally, I've always felt that as long as it doesn't go out of its way to be inaccurate - as long as it pays lip service to keeping up appearances and looking plausible, then I'll let it go.

Most science fiction, if examined closely, would probably fail the test. Would probably be guilty of being wildly wrong. But it is allowed a certain leeway.

My favourite examples I'll cull from Doctor Who. In the nineteen seventies episode "Silurians", the Doctor stopped a plague virus by putting on a labcoat and spending many long sleepless montages staring through a microscope. If I were a microbiologist, I'm sure I'd have found all sorts of mistakes - but I'm not, so it looked plausible enough. The writers figured that if he was to stop a super virus, that's probably what he'd have to do.

Now, flash forward to the 00s, in the episode "New Earth" (which I enjoyed), the Doctor dumps all the hospital's medicine's into a bucket, mixes them up, and creates a super medicine that cures everything.

That my friends, is a class - a clunker. See the difference?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mark, I got the info from Carl Sagan.

The wicked flee where none persueth. :lol:

Oh boy! As part of a Robert Wise retrospective the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring is showing The Day the Earth Stood Still next weekend. I've loved this movie since I was a boy and have seen it dozens of times over the years but I have never had the opportunity to actually see it projected in a theater. Later in the month, The Haunting, a fine flick which I have seen theatrically before but worth repeated viewings. The best haunted house movie (and book) I think ever made.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:12 am

Do you know I've never unsubscribed from the AFI Silver's email blast? I can't bring myself to do it, even though I don't get back much at all since the job went away.

They're screening THE TINGLER on October?

*le sigh*

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:54 am

Loved that film. Never saw it with the wired seats, but this may be the Halloween screening for 2014 now that you've reminded me of it.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I think we need video of you wiring seats for your screening. :)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:33 am

Wire my seat and I'm boppin you. :)

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

FORREST GUMP.

This movie has been a source of endless fascination and frustration for me. I don't want to go down the path of other, more cynical critics, who have already done a serviceable job of ripping the film's horribly conflicted themes/messages limb from limb.

First of all, let me come right out and say that both Tom Hanks and Robin Wright are amazing. Downright celestial performances from the pair of them, and it's worth sitting through the entirety of the film just to watch these guys have at it.

How the narrative chooses to systematically reward/punish its characters is of greater concern to me. Just as Forrest Gump is seemingly blessed with miraculous fortune (besides being mentally handicapped from birth, of course), everyone else around Forrest is annihilated with misfortune. Jenny's life and career go downhill to the point where she's having to perform naked in front of a crowd of horny brutes, Lieutenant Dan loses his legs and his will to live for a significant portion of the film, and Bubba is...well, six feet under.

But Forrest? He gets into college on account of his freakish running abilities, survives Vietnam with only a shot to the "buttocks", receives the Medal of Honour from President Johnson himself, becomes a world-renowned ping-pong champion, turns into a millionaire after a hurricane conveniently wipes out the rest of the shrimp boat competition, has his wealth tripled after investing in Apple Computers, and even (unintentionally) nurtured his own weird cult of joggers.

I've seen this movie more times than I'd like to count, and I'm still stumped about what exactly Robert Zemeckis is trying to tell us. I understand the story is meant to be a fairy tale of sorts, but that doesn't take into account the treatment of its dramatis personae. What, is Zemeckis saying the childlike sensibilities and warmth brought about by Forrest's low IQ generates some manner of bizarre good-will karma that the universe will reward further down the line? Does the hypocritical adult stupidity of Forrest's friends (vs. Forrest's "literal" stupidity) invite a metaphorical black cloud of doom to hover above their heads wherever they go?

Maybe I should finally get around to reading Winston Groom's novel. There could be something in the book that I'm missing in the movie.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm going to this film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4XO-52ubE

Maybe we will finally discuss the Contra/cocaine thang.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am

Cris and I watched Jon Favreau's CHEF over the weekend. Really cool film, and a complete departure for Favreau. He wrote, directed and starred in this movie about a world-class chef who...makes changes in his life. (You didn't think I would post spoilers, did you?)

Frank, Doug: You both I think will really like this movie.

(And I have always been a fan of John Leguizamo, and this cements that appreciation completely.)
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:42 pm

JULIUS JR.. Because 2 year olds...

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am

Rick Keeney wrote:JULIUS JR.. Because 2 year olds...

Because 6 year olds as well. Could be worse, you could be stuck watching My Little Pony.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:24 pm

"Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! Oh, in the name of God! Now I know what it feels like to be God!"

Halloween is coming...
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:"Look! It's moving. It's alive. It's alive... It's alive, it's moving, it's alive! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! IT'S ALIVE! Oh, in the name of God! Now I know what it feels like to be God!"

Halloween is coming...

Yessir. The High Holy Days are upon us. Spent an enjoyable lunch hour last week explaining Halloween to my friend Geeta, a co-worker who is a Hindu. I was delighted to find out that the Hindus have a festival called Pitru Paksha which celebrates the return of the dead ancestors with rituals, and celebrations. It too occurs this time of year although the date is not fixed, being determined by astrological calculations based on the Hindu Lunar calendar which I won't pretend to understand. We get ripped off though cause their thing lasts two whole weeks and we only get one night. Oh well.

At least now she understands why I have those skeleton lights strung up in my office and my Mummy figurine on my desk. I think she thought I was losing it. :lol:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Re: Watcha watchin'?

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Kids tearing hell out of my house.

Steve Barber

Re: Watcha watchin'?

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:Kids tearing hell out of my house.

Deliberately, accidentally, or too much caffeine in their Cheerios this morning?

Return to “Pop Culture”