Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Saw two films last weekend.

The Hours with which I was utterly enthralled.

Elysium which was much better than I'd been led to expect, although I still have problems with it. Interesting to see Jodie Foster playing an evil character for a change.

Rick Keeney

Re: Watcha watchin'?

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:06 pm

Steve Barber wrote:
Rick Keeney wrote:Kids tearing hell out of my house.

Deliberately, accidentally, or too much caffeine in their Cheerios this morning?

That's a decent summation, yes.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:10 pm

This Werner Herzog serial killer thingy.

Creep Factor 10, Mr. Sulu.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:15 pm

Do you know these people?

They come into the movie, noisily, just late enough to pull everybody out of the focus they've achieved as they've settled into the movie. They stumble over several people in the dark to get to their seats. They carry on the conversation they'd already started before they arrived, now in a annoying whisper as if no one would notice. An annoying whisper that continues intermittently throughout the entire fucking movie. The rest of the audience is left to find their own way back into the flow of the movie, if they ever do.

Who are these folks? Do they just follow me around or have you encountered them too?

I'll admit it. I'm just not sophisticated enough to be able to carry on a conversation and watch a movie at the same time. I just don't understand why you would pay the prices you have to pay these days to see a movie and then not watch the movie. If you want to talk fine, go to a bar or a cafe and have at it.

Why would you even go to a movie unless you wanted to watch the movie? Help me folks I don't understand.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:56 am

Manhattan Transfer videos. Killer Joe is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tmtofficial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHoIMP3cfI0

There's a little less Jazz in the world this morning.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Yea, I was thinking of you Barber. Did Cris ever open for them?

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Yea, I was thinking of you Barber. Did Cris ever open for them?

No, unfortunately never had the chance. We saw Cheryl Bentyne at a benefit in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago, but no word anything was wrong.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Saw them in a free gig in the grand foyer of the Kennedy Center, early on when Peggy and I were dating (late 2008?). Great set.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:41 am

Two things I am not watching:

THE WALKING DEAD and
SONS OF ANARCHY.

Too much.

I can only seem to handle irascible chefs in alien climes right now. Watch the NO RESERVATIONS episode filmed in Laos to see one of the coolest ancient mysteries ever. Very cool.

Ben W.

Postby Ben W. » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:49 pm

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is one of the most perfect "Halloween movies" ever made, right up there with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and THE MONSTER SQUAD. It's also the rare film that gets the balance between horror and comedy just right. Most flicks dealing with zombies either tend to treat their subject matter too seriously (THE WALKING DEAD), or with too much snark (ZOMBIELAND, WARM BODIES, etc.)

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:11 am

We watched 9 last night. Superb animation, good voicing, even a halfway decent story, and one of the oddest conceits I've seen in a while. But, then, it was Tim Burton.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:45 am

Ben W. wrote:RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD is one of the most perfect "Halloween movies" ever made, right up there with HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and THE MONSTER SQUAD. It's also the rare film that gets the balance between horror and comedy just right. Most flicks dealing with zombies either tend to treat their subject matter too seriously (THE WALKING DEAD), or with too much snark (ZOMBIELAND, WARM BODIES, etc.)

I'd pick the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD if it had more universal appeal. Around here it's NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:28 pm

We have a strictly traditional Halloween in this here household.

THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)

Even the moon's frightened of me, frightened to death!

THE MUMMY (1932)

He went for a little walk! You should have seen his face!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:08 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:We have a strictly traditional Halloween in this here household.

THE INVISIBLE MAN (1933)

Even the moon's frightened of me, frightened to death!

I love the movie, but it's the book that holds a special place in my heart. When the process behind the invisibility is explained--genius! (Yes, I know it's make-believe.)

Saw A Most Wanted Man last night. Glad to discover that Philip Seymour Hoffman's last lead performance in a movie is so strong, though that also made me feel somewhat forlorn.
The movie itself is very good, but I don't think it's on the level of 2011's Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

D.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Fine! I wash me hands of it. Let them all be murdered in their beds for all of me!

To a new world of gods and monsters!

I decided to go with something more traditional for Halloween. Universal Classics. They're my only weakness.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Pop Culture”