Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Hammer films have always done it for me. . .

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:44 pm

Interstellar, which I enjoyed quite a bit, though I found the ending (as mentioned elsewhere) just a bit too clean.

Alas, about an hour into this three hour movie, I had a dreadful feeling, which reminded me why I never usually buy soft drinks at the cinema. . .

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:14 am

I saw Interstellar as well. I agree there's a lot that's good about it. Some powerful performances and some interesting ideas. What cripples the movie for me is the plot. It's not just too neat. It borders on incoherence. The more I think about it the less sense it makes. (I think it should be the other way around.) This was obviously a personal project for Christopher Nolan but just because you're a good director with good ideas doesn't mean you're a good writer.

It is nearly three hours long so pee before you enter the theater.

It may be a function of the fact I saw it in an IMAX theater but it is one of the loudest movies I've ever attended. So much so that at times it was difficult to hear some of the dialog. Take ear plugs. I always do.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:59 am

I'm confused by the "so neat it's incoherent". That seems counter-intuitive.

Cris and I saw Big Hero 6. Very cute film, though it could very easily have been a sequel (of sorts) to The Incredibles, both stylistically and execution-wise. Yes, there are more than casual nods towards anime -- almost to a distracting level -- and some excellent character-building, with some genuine surprises along the way.

Well worth a view, and probably better in the theater than on tv.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:21 am

I'm confused by the "so neat it's incoherent". That seems counter-intuitive.

Well that's not exactly what I said, and I would love to discuss it, but it would require mucho spoilers. There is a special annex in Hell for people who spoil movies for other people. I should add the movie gets bonus points from me for having cool robots.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:54 am

Indeed, to explain what I meant by "a little too neat" would require me to give away the ending. But I suppose it could be incoherent as well: I couldn't tell you exactly how they got to that neat ending. . .

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:39 pm

AMERICAN HORROR story, about 15 minutes at a time, trying not to run from the room screaming.

It's got its issues, but when it's burning, it's pyrotechnic. For me.

If your sensibilities are in the least refined, this one might set you on your heels.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:34 am

AMERICAN HORROR
Current season, or one of the previous?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:49 pm

FinderDoug wrote:
AMERICAN HORROR
Current season, or one of the previous?

End of Season 1. Which at this pace will last me through the next solar eclipse.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:21 pm

No foolin'

The Starlost

Now available as a channel on Roku streaming devices. I'm sure it's going to be horrible and awesome all at once.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:59 pm

It's pretty bad.

I saw the first episode out of morbid curiosity after reading HE's wonderful script just to see how badly they butchered it. I thought Keir Dullea was way too old for the part of Devon who I took to be 19 or 20 at the most. Dullea was in his mid-30s at the time. And how the hell did they get Sterling Hayden to sign on for it?

Based on HE's description of his planned sequel I would love to see another graphic novel. I enjoyed Phoenix Without Ashes very much. I think that last full page panel showing the Ark floating away into the stars would make a great poster.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:23 am

It was pretty terrible. Production values were below par (even for the period) and the casting was terrible. I got about 2 episodes in and just couldn't do it. The dialog. Oh my god, the dialog; "Radiation Virus", "G class solar star". Ugh.

On the other hand, it was good for a lark, so there's that.
Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:44 am

I caught a couple episodes a while ago, and thought the fault lay entirely in the delivery. The scripts were okay, but the acting and direction - flatter than a pancake!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Does anybody remember an old 70s British show called BLAKE'S 7? It too was low budget and video taped but was brilliantly written and acted. Of course several folks involved with the production of DOCTOR WHO were involved with B7. I first saw it just like I did DW, on an Atlanta PBS station way way back in the old days. It has come to be known as the "anti-Star Trek" in that it was obviously influenced by Trek but inverted the whole conception (the Federation is a fascistic dictatorship, etc) and the heroes are a rag tag group of misfits, some political idealists, some petty criminals.

The truth is, if you have good writing and good imagination it doesn't take a big budget. The closest thing in conception I guess on American TV was FIREFLY. Unlike Trek, B7 had story arcs and continuation and wasn't afraid to bump off main characters. You can get the show on expensive Region 2 PAL DVD box sets. It appears to be on YouTube for however long that lasts.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:48 am

I thought you didn't watch tv?

Return to “Pop Culture”