Whatcha listening to?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Whatcha listening to?

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:04 am

A little different than what is usually posted in this thread, but this is really cool. (Frank, I think you in particular will appreciate this.

The Alton Browncast

http://www.nerdist.com/podcast/the-browncast/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:00 am

Very good.

John Williams at his best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLDyrun_Cc

The movie is great as well. Just keep feeding us this kind of music and the world could be healed.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:04 am

Just received two CDs and am about to indulge. The last Renaissance album and an album by a guitarist called Buckethead.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:01 pm

I have a Bill Laswell CD with Buckethead playing guitar. Hallucination Engine. Pretty cool.

Right now listening to some Ligeti. The mid-60s wordless choral pieces Lux Aeterna and Requiem. When I first heard these pieces and was still young and foolish (instead of old and foolish like I am now), and there were still brick and mortar record stores with actual classical sections, I asked the guy at the information desk if he had anything else like the Ligeti and he responded, There is nothing else like the Ligeti. And he was right.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:15 am

I lurves Ligetti. Some of it gets pretty far out, but it is genuinely skiffy music.

This morning: Robin Trower.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 am

Last night I listened to a very strange, thoroughly eclectic new album called Cycle Songs[?] by Van Dyke Parkes. Anyone else remember him?

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:22 am

I only really know him through his work with Brian Wilson on songs for the Beach Boys SMILE album; they did an album together back in the 90s as well.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:31 am

FinderDoug wrote:I only really know him through his work with Brian Wilson on songs for the Beach Boys SMILE album; they did an album together back in the 90s as well.

He was both regaled and criticized for the obscurity of his lyrics, especially for Brian Wilson. This album isn't much obscure as it is odd.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:30 am

Barber, you into Amy Winehouse?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:25 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:
FinderDoug wrote:I only really know him through his work with Brian Wilson on songs for the Beach Boys SMILE album; they did an album together back in the 90s as well.

He was both regaled and criticized for the obscurity of his lyrics, especially for Brian Wilson. This album isn't much obscure as it is odd.

Hmmm... a search of Amazon shows he has an extensive back catalog about which I'm ashamed to say I know nothing. I only know him from his production/player work with Harry Nilsson and Dr John. Never was much of a Beach Boys fan.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 am

Ah, Miley is, ah, kinda like wow:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... ostpopular

I've perverted the room. Nooooooooooooooooooo

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:56 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barber, you into Amy Winehouse?

I like some of her earlier stuff, but can't say as I'm into her music per se. I'm more of an Adele follower than Winehouse, musically.

Well, past tense in any event.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 am

I am rather enjoying a bit of Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer. Gentleman rapper, or as he prefers to call it Chap Hop.

Yeah I know, but it just tickles my funny bone. Oddly enough my son also seems to really enjoy his music too. Probably because there is a liberal dose of humour in there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiRPBCiJg2c

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:28 am

This fits into both the Whatcha Watchin and Whatcha Listening To categories, so I'll post it here.

This has it all: Hugh Laurie, The Queen Mary and bluesy jazz.

Wild Honey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnJrluzbQY

Return to “Pop Culture”