Copyright vs Copywrong

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Copyright vs Copywrong

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:28 am

Guess who defends rap? Quincey Jones. He is a top jazz master as well. ha.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:29 am

Steve Evil, remember, I defended metal when Harlan dissed it.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Guess who defends rap? Quincey [sic] Jones. He is a top jazz master as well. ha.
Yay. EVEN MORE "Frank Church talks down to everyone with his endless parade of name-drops to remind the rabble how ill-informed and stupid their opinions are." Collect 'em all. Trade 'em with your friends.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Rap is a black art and you all are not culturally black. Enjoy the rainbow.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:45 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Rap is a black art and you all are not culturally black. Enjoy the rainbow.

Some of "us all" would be shocked to read that, Franklin. What does that mean, by the way?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:53 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Steve Evil, remember, I defended metal when Harlan dissed it.

Yes you did. Kudos. But say what you will about Metal guys, they take the time to learn an instrument. They write their own tunes. They don't pass off other's work as their own. They don't patch together recordings and pat themselves on the back for a job well done.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Guess who defends rap? Quincey Jones. He is a top jazz master as well. ha.

We're not attacking rap, Frank. We're attacking the concept it's po' black foke who need to steal other people's work to make art.

Quincy is also very much an advocate of teaching kids music in schools and protecting artists via copyright.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:12 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Rap is a black art and you all are not culturally black. Enjoy the rainbow.

Sorry, Frank. Again, not attacking rap. Jazz is a black art form to many people. Rap is based on bebop, a jazz form of vocalese. I dare you to assert I don't have an understanding of jazz. Care to throwdown, or am I culturally too white to understand?

My theory: You're losing, so you're trying to change the subject. You're making racist assertions, in both directions, and are now skidding sideways to avoid being caught.

Sorry. Nobody is attacking rap. We're attacking your characterization of Djs and rappers who sample the work from other people. Some do it right, others steal it wholesale. You claim it's because they are po black foke who can't afford musical instruments, but they can afford the equipment to sample and create digital files.

I'm not even sure Tanner Faust could avoid the potholes in your argument.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm

You assume "you all" don't enjoy rap. How much of Rappers Delight can you rap? I've done my favorite hunk of that for blacks who were shocked that a white woman could do it at all.

I was listening to Run DMC way before Areosmith made it all right to listen to. I was one of the few whites who bothered owning a copy of Public Ememy's Fight the Power.

I quite listening to rap when it became gangster, more about hoes and drugs than actually adressing problems. I also quit listening to it when the sample became more important that anything.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Rap is a black art and you all are not culturally black.
I'm whitey, so I have nothing meaningful to add to a conversation about rap? Well played, Frank. First the camel-jockeys remark, and now straight-on black/non-black race-baiting.

What a fabulous October you're having for yourself.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 pm

I just said it is a black art form, comes from the toastmaster. Comes from beat poetry, coffee house rap.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Though as I recall, the discussion wasn't about rap. It was about sampling. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I just said it is a black art form, comes from the toastmaster. Comes from beat poetry, coffee house rap.

I'm declaring this comment and line of posts fully off topic. Stick to the subject, Frank.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:28 am

Does anybody have the stats on how many books are illegally downloaded a year? My question would be would they buy them if they could not steal them?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:00 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Does anybody have the stats on how many books are illegally downloaded a year? My question would be would they buy them if they could not steal them?

You answer that, Frank. What do you think?

Return to “Pop Culture”