Copyright vs Copywrong

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Copyright vs Copywrong

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks, Mike!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Mike, you are ill informed, but I can't help liking you. You're fun to tweak. Pinches his cheeks.

No, welfare mothers, they are evil. And those damned teachers unions. Marxian retches. Go get em lil buddy.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 pm

FrankChurch wrote: I finally got Barber to admit that he supports the copyright laws because it may, by accident help smaller artists. I hate to break this to my good friend but corporations do not lobby Washington for the sake of small time artists. American Idol is a warning, not just a talent show.

No, Frank, I support copyright law because it protects copyright holders. I did not "finally" admit anything because I've argued from the standpoint of smaller artitsts all along. It is the corporations which can both benefit and challenge the smaller artists as a result, not the other way around. If you do not believe me, ask Harlan the benefit of owning his Star Trek characters, while Joe Straczynski owns not a whit of Babylon 5.

Don't twist my words: I defend the individual artists so that large corporations are obligated to pay us bigger sums of money for our property. Without copyright, they could just freely do what they want and post it on the internet like all of the thieves at MegaUpload, etc.

But if copyright benefits corporations, too, then all the more power to it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Mike, you are ill informed,...
an empty accusation.
try to be more specific.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:42 pm

cynic wrote:the founders admited to , and attempted to arrive at a balance between potentials for both the tyrany of the masses, and the depotism of the monied elite.
between the needs and aspirations of the common man, and to protect the property and common rights of both.

Nicely put.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:54 pm

typing "despotism" would have been better, but thank you.
follow your bliss,mike

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:41 am

I dunno - getting them all in for depositions might be fun to watch.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:14 am

I kinda thought depotism of the monied Elite meant sending them to the train station for deportation.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:07 am

...While big companies have teams of lawyers ready to pounce when copyrights are infringed, the small timers are usually without much help...

Frank

The above quote is yours, and gets right to the heart meat core of why we need copyright laws. You're right corporations do have a bunch of lawyers and the small artist doesn't.

It's because of things like this that copyright laws are not only necessary, but should be more stringently enforced. Without a clearly defined set of laws, the bigger guy could just bankrupt the little one into submission. But because we do have the laws, it is up to each side to show evidence that is compellingly showing their side, and whomever can do that SHOULD win.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm

All along I said amend the copyright laws, that's all. I support smaller artists and bigger artists, based on their artistry or cultural worth. Prince is a huge artist, but he has more talent in his little finger than some small soft jazz band has in their whole combo. Make it easier to access information that has social/political importance. Entertainment is another matter. Just make the copyright time shorter.

Let's be Frank, anarchists are the thin blue line between artless tyranny and society.

-------------

Mike, you do know when the founders used terms like property they also meant slaves. They certainly couldn't conceive of global corporations having footholds in other countries. Those kind of tentacles would have made them ill.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:44 pm

FrankChurch wrote:All along I said amend the copyright laws, that's all. I support smaller artists and bigger artists, based on their artistry or cultural worth. Prince is a huge artist, but he has more talent in his little finger than some small soft jazz band has in their whole combo. Make it easier to access information that has social/political importance. Entertainment is another matter. Just make the copyright time shorter.

Dude, what makes you or anyone else the decider of how I get paid for my art? If it has no cultural worth, then no one would be buying it would they? Art that has no artistry is rarely if ever bought. So your point is moot.

Same goes for social/political importance. What you deem important may be trash to me.

And Entertainment copyrights should at least last my lifetime, and the lifetimes of those I deem worthy of benefiting from my work. And I do believe that I've got the right to appoint someone to make sure that whatever legacy I believe I'm leaving behind is taken care of in a manner I'd have approved of.

By the way, I dare you to go and post some of this drivel on the Pavilion Board. Most of the writers and artists there don't bother coming over here, and I'd really like to see how they deal with your ideas.

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Mike, you do know when the founders used terms like property they also meant slaves. They certainly couldn't conceive of global corporations having footholds in other countries. Those kind of tentacles would have made them ill.
yes frank i have heard about the slave issue, and the founders were aware of the problem as well.
they were also well aware of all the virtual global businesses and trade reach in their past and present, tea, spices, silk, cotton, art etc..
the dutch, portuguese, french, spanis, british, turks, peloponnesians, ottomans and on and on and on...
all empires that our silly, naive, backward, knuckle dragging founders were aware of ; while apparently, you are not.
catch up francis.
men that died thousands of years ago have something to show you.
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 pm

"I dunno - getting them all in for depositions might be fun to watch."
"I kinda thought depotism of the monied Elite meant sending them to the train station for deportation."

well; i suppose that's a bit better than the "eat the rich" for lunch bunch.
follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Frank -As Mike notes, you're completely off base with the assertion about global corporations. Look up the East India Company for a lesson in history...one of many such examples.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:45 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company

There ya go Frank, you're one click away from learning something.

Doubt you'll do it, but it would make your ability to argue your point a bit more convincing if ya do.

Return to “Pop Culture”