1985 - MEDEA - HARLAN'S WORLD

The SPIDER Symposion: in-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

Moderators: Moderator, Jan, Duane

kevinkirby

1985 - MEDEA - HARLAN'S WORLD

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:22 pm

The Medea stories, by various authors, are quite fun to read. All that work put into a common background, and the time it took for these efforts to later appear in magazines, make for truly uplifting experience. The last story in the collection, by Silverberg, anticipates a world-destroying/renewing quake that finishes the cycle off. Yet there is still a great deal of story potential to the whole Medea concept. What will happen when all those Bussard Ramjets still in transit, after making the 50-year journey, arrive to find all human colonies destroyed?

As wave after wave of these people see only fuxes, balloons and dead humans, what conclusions will they reach?

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:23 pm

This looks like it's going to be another dead end - no one has read it.

When I looked at book info for the wikipedia I was quite impressed with who was involved. Still, the concept doesn't attract me because I don't care about world building one bit. Had they created a set of interesting characters and done a sort of serial, that might have interested me.

According to Harlan this contains Sturgeon's final story, though.

Return to “Literary Symposium”