THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Ezra, your Nationals are doing really well. They are scary.

Lori, sorry, your Giants are gonna get crushed.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Frank

With all the shit going on in the world, baseball is the last thing I'm going to worry about.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:56 pm

Lori, that is what I am going to do. Hinduism and Buddhism have me fascinated at the moment. Ezra thank you for your response; right now I am finding great comfort in the Hindu concepts of the impersonal Ultimate Reality and the personal reality of Vishnu, Shiva, etc. It will I think when I have read and studied more explain a lot I find confusing in my own religion. I took a class in World Religions two or three summers ago from a brilliant professor, Justin Synessvedt. It was a great class and I think I just misspelled Justin's last name. And the little I have studied of Joseph Campbell's works make me think the more the religions try to seem different the more they have in common.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:53 pm

First, Mark: I hope you continue to recover. It sounds like it should all be upside from here on.

Lori wrote:
In what little studying on the topic I've done, it appears that the major religions all have the same story.

Which includes the story of Horus which has many parallels with Jesus.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:But he never seems to laugh.

In my mind, when I run what I read through that filter that makes a movie behind my eyes, I see the scene in John where the Pharisees brought the adulterous woman before Jesus and said that according to Moses' law, she was to be stoned to death, then asked him WWJD? And he wrote on the ground. Not once, but twice. Saying nothing. And all the people went away. And I cannot help but see the last person shuffling away, looking over his shoulder, and Jesus giving him one of those Harvey Kietel "What the fuck are you gonna do about it?" lazy smirks, and the guy hustling out the door. Jesus laughs heartily, slaps his leg and says, "Ha! Woman, did you see those guys? Like cockroaches from the light, they were outta here! Now, about this adultery business...."
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mark, good to hear you're on the mend. Stay strong, bro.
The medium is the message.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:32 am

Tim, I'm good, much better than when last we spoke. The time in the hospital did me good; also meds upped 25 milligrams. Haven't been working on my writing, but working on acting. I have a small part in To Kill a Mockingbird in a small community theater. We have a month more of rehersels then the performance . Always wanting to act and the director is a friend of mine so it's fun. Otherwise just trying to figure stuff out - need job, how do I get job, should I just teach. And my nephew Vinnie started college at U of I Champagne, but he is having a very tough time. Soooo.... Maybe we can have a lunch or something when you are here. Keep me posted on your schedule.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Diane, keep it up hon.

-----------

The main sour pickle in the Hindu side--the way the Dalits are treated.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:21 am

Diane before we drift away completely from the Hinduism thread, if I may, allow me to recommend some fine books.

Wendy Doniger's HINDUISM: AN ALTERNATIVE HISTORY

http://www.amazon.com/Hindus-Alternativ ... ve+history

Ms Doniger is a historian and Sanskrit scholar at the University of Chicago. If you read the reviews at the Amazon site note the contrast between the scholarly reviews (overwhelmingly positive) and the reader reviews (overwhelmingly negative). The reason for this disparity is that Ms Doniger has run afoul of the far right Hindu nationalist movement (the Hindutva) because of her clear eyed warts and all look at the history of Hinduism. She also has focused a great deal of attention on the affects of the religion on women and the lower castes (why the book is entitled An Alternative History - not just Kings and Gurus). The Hindutva are apparently determined not to be outdone by the Wahhabis in their fanaticism and thinskinnedness.

Roberto Calasso's KA: STORIES OF THE MIND AND GODS OF INDIA

http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Stories-Mind-G ... calasso+ka

Not a translation but a wonderful literary retelling of the myths of India. Over the years I've read most of the classic Hindu religious texts and frankly at this point the theology bores me as much as Christian theology does but I never get tired of these great stories. The Hindu gods and heroes are just as lively a bunch as their Greek and Roman counterparts.

Since you're interested in comparative religion see

Father Bede Griffith's RIVER OF COMPASSION, a Christian commentary on the Bhagavad Gita.

http://www.amazon.com/River-Compassion- ... +griffiths

And to return the favor, Swami Prabhavananda's SERMON ON THE MOUNT ACCORDING TO VEDANTA

http://www.amazon.com/Sermon-Mount-Acco ... +the+mount
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:35 pm

You follow Confucius and all will be well.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You follow Confucius and all will be well.

Yes, you will be a worthwhile civil servant.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:26 am

Ezra thank you for the books. I will get same, either my own copies or borrow from my library, asap. DB

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:54 am

I was outside for a little while, and I heard a strange sound. Hooves. Some deer are on the landfill property. I wonder how they got out of the refuge fence? On the way in, I also saw a coyote and a hawk. But right now, there are deer wandering around outside. They're keeping their distance.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:59 pm

My pleasure, Diane. I'm not much of a human being but I am one well read sumbitch.

Chuck, how high is the fence? Deer can levitate you know.

My brother's property backs up against a 100 acre parcel of undevelopable wetland courtesy of the Flint River and an absentee owner who lives in Philadelphia. Dan and I've seen every form of wildlife imaginable in Georgia around there including a bobcat that came slinking out of the underbrush one evening while we were sitting on his porch ehjoying a brew.

I miss nature. Up here everything is so well lit that there is no sky at night. No Milky Way. Just a haze of cityglow. And the only fauna are rats and pigeons which hardly seem to qualify as wildlife. We're told by the experts that birds are descended from some species of dinosaurs. I have this nightmare of popping out of my trusty time machine and beholding a herd of mighty T-Rex waddling along mindlessly bobbing their heads like some demented Far Side cartoon.

You have to wonder though. Where do all the thousands of pigeons go at night? Best not to think too long or too deeply about such things though. Like Lovecraft's Night-Gaunts the pigeons will come to you in your dreams. They warble and flutter in your dreams...
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:48 pm

We're all selectively well read.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Just an update, I am still on the mend. Things are looking very good and Tuesday I find out if I can have my usual life back.

For your consideration, in the meantime, some new art: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1348

Return to “General”