Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby diane bartels » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:48 pm

hey all. There is a job I want at the Rehab Institute. Technically I could do it, it only requires a high school diploma, and I hath some knowledge of rehab, God knows. But Im just scared I won't get everything together in time. And they want the resumes to be posted on line. And talking to you guys and on FB is about the limits of my computer web skills. On the good side, my rehab counselor is a great person, totally on my side and even though she was out sick with a cold, she called me. And the state rehab counselor I have an appointment with. So crossed fingers and prayers my way please.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed, diane!
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Fingers braided. Best of luck! Knock 'em dead, kiddo!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

The cult of one man doesn't count.

Like Jesus?

How about this: The Anti-War Protester museum.

How about the Tomb of the Unknown Civilian?

I was right about Disney, eh? The mouse must be stopped. Amend copyright laws now!!

You mean about Disney buying Lucasfilm? Frank, George Lucas is donating all the money he gets to charity and it guarantees that if there's another STAR WARS movie Lucas won't be able to fuck it up. The downside to the sale is..?

hey all. There is a job I want at the Rehab Institute.

Good luck Diane!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks guys. I'm hoping
DB

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am

You will get it Diane. Watch it, I fear this winter will be a bitch.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:27 am

thanks Frank. Me too, in more ways than one. I so hope Romney doesn't win.

This is my happy place.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:24 am

Good luck, Diane!!
~~~~~~~~~~~

Haven't been here in a while, pretty busy. But I thought I'd pass along a piece that ran here in the local free paper. Interesting information, for what it's worth.

http://www.creators.com/opinion/jim-hig ... erica.html

Why it's interesting is, in 2007 I worked for a temp agency. That agency sent some of us out to work in a building that used to be a major print material manufacturer- posters, political banners, etc. There was a framed invitation to a presidential dinner to be held in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963. The company was now utterly gutted, the few remaining printmakers explaining that theirs was a lost art, it was all computers now. The irony was, they were still making all the paperwork for the elections offices in Texas. Multicolored papers for various problems and situations that come up when the electronic system fails, or can't deal with a human issue. When I wasn't at my computer, I'd help the staff fold these papers and put them into the envelopes that are given to every precinct judge on election day. I recognized them instantly, having had to help people fill them out as a volunteer for the previous elections.

The company that bought the plant was Hart Intercivic, and they made the eVoting machines. They had taken over the offices, and every day going into work, I'd pass cubicles of folks working on charts and things, and a small boardroom with a whiteboard that was apparently used to determine flaws in the system. I could be wrong, I'm no programmer, but that's how it looked to me.
In the break-room, you always heard small talk about getting bugs out and making sure to meet deadlines with the new system, as long as it works, haha.

Past the offices, you entered a small door, and you were in the warehouse. One side was the printing equipment and machines, the other was for us, the temps. Temporary carpet and cubicle walls were erected and our computers were set up therein. Our task was simple: every day we'd get thousands of scanned legal forms from the past seventy years, birth records, deed liens, death certificates, and our job was to redact the social security and personal tax code numbers from these documents. There were two very helpful managers, we had a quota to meet, and occasionally we were sent home early or went to assist the printers because we didn't have any work at the time, until the day the job was done and we had to start looking through the agency again.

These jobs are surely ubiquitous, and I know it's important to have information readily available on computer for archivists, assayers, etc., and I remarked to Kat at the time how paranoid my mind had been poisoned by politics to start stringing together a series of plausible scenarios as to why all this was going on under one roof. Well, we know how the election turned out, and regardless, this is Texas. It wasn't going blue anyway.

Earlier this year when Kat had surgery she started looking for another job. She went to a temp agency, and a couple of months ago, she got a job, with others, in a similar setting, assigning numbers to old legal documents, then transcribing these to a grid, and some other mind-numbing, repetitious, quota-making work. Once again, something I noticed in an election year.

I have no doubt that the corporate workers here, those computer savvy folk, our Barbers and Dougs, would assure me that this stuff is going on all the time, on a million different levels, and as someone who only sees these things from a ground-view, let my mind wander fanciful. And I wouldn't doubt that that is true. But I don't know which I hate more. That my mind would automatically start conjuring conspiracy, or that I know it's the rhetoric and occassional real dishonesty in our system that makes it so easy to think that.
The medium is the message.

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:40 am

Sorry, forgot this op-ed piece from the same mag. Sometimes that INFOWARS mentality is backed by a few facts.
I had my first old-man "What is this world coming to?" moment with that one. Might not have been the first, my memory isn't what it used to be. :wink:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/columns/ ... like-that/
The medium is the message.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:11 am

paul wrote:Sorry, forgot this op-ed piece from the same mag. Sometimes that INFOWARS mentality is backed by a few facts.
I had my first old-man "What is this world coming to?" moment with that one. Might not have been the first, my memory isn't what it used to be. :wink:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/columns/ ... like-that/

paul for an even more extensive discussion here is a book written by two Washington Post reporters, Dana Priest and William Arkin, expanding on a series of articles they did a while back for the Post, entitled TOP SECRET AMERICA.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Secret-Americ ... rity+state

Some of these laws are being adjudicated through the system right now. This is why it's important not to get more right wing ideologues on the Supreme Court which is what will happen if Romney wins. This is the part of Big Government that the republicans aren't against. But yes Obama has an appalling civil rights record. Americans have made the classic deal with the devil. Keep me safe no matter what.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm

The only problem I had with Dana Priest was she assumes that Bush actually wanted to keep us safe. The military budget has mostly been a slush fund for industry.

Smedley Butler said it best: War Is A Racket.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Paul, Andrew Bacevich is good on the national security issues as well. He is a retired colonel and a self described conservative. He just has a problem with imperialism.

The late Chalmers Johnson as well. A former CIA analyst.

We fund enough military to fight two wars at one time.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

FrankChurch wrote: We fund enough military to fight two wars at one time.

And have since WWII, when we had to. Personally, I think we overfund even for that.

Y'know, I go back and forth on Bush's motives. I was in D.C. (coincidence) during Katrina and I saw him on tv and he looked like a scared little boy. I think it hit him that day that his decisions had consequences. I tend to believe he wanted to "do right" (whatever that means in such contexts) but was absolutely clueless.

Now, Cheney on the other hand...

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Cheney is pure evil.

Bush was merely a sap.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:00 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Cheney is pure evil.

Bush was merely a sap.

We largely agree on that, Frank. Bingo.

Return to “General”