THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Mark Tiedemann

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 am

A few thoughts on last night: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1566

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Evil billionaires lost big this time. They still rule the world, but the butterfly effect starts on the wing.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Evil billionaires lost big this time. They still rule the world, but the butterfly effect starts on the wing.

You will enjoy this article, Frank:

http://news.yahoo.com/billionaires-got-moneys-worth-election-174439038.html
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Karl Rove Fox News Freakout

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJg3z5c9 ... r_embedded

Bill O'Reilly is sad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0-No1HGzfo

Another satisfied customer! What a psychology lesson...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:42 am

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:21 am

Ezra - That third link is frankly terrifying.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:37 am

No, no, I actually feel really bad for her. I want to contact her, try to reason with her somehow. She is delusional, but aren't we all.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:37 am

She's been hurt somehow. This has nothing to do with politics.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:15 am

FrankChurch wrote:She's been hurt somehow. This has nothing to do with politics.

Since the religious right has gotten involved, politics have become very personal. In its own way, this reminds me of the heady days of the late 60s, when there was a similar fervor, though from a completely apposite viewpoint. These folks have embraced a kind of pseudo End Times attitude and placed everything important to them in that box.

What I very much want to ask such people is, Just what exactly is you can't do today that you could do five years ago?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:28 pm

The dolts think Obama changed capitalism, when capitalism changed a long time ago: Making money from more money, outsourcing, ripping off people with false ads.

Both the Occupy movements and the Tea Party want a more agrarian market. Smaller, more local, American made.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

We can all breathe a little easier for another four years. I gotta admit, when the Springsteen started playing, I almost got teary again.

Almost. . .

paul

Postby paul » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Another satisfied customer! What a psychology lesson...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw

FinderDoug wrote:Ezra - That third link is frankly terrifying.

I tried. So help me god, I tried. But I have friends who are taking medicine for schizophrenia, and I have friends who are just plain assholes, and it hurts to know this may be the only media she has as an outlet. Times forbid. But Jesus, I can't absorb her. Or as George R.R. Martin wrote, 'One need not drink an entire flagon of mushroom whiskey to know if it is potent or not.'
The medium is the message.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:21 am

Possibly my final thoughts on the election: http://marktiedemann.com/wordpress/?p=1579

Possibly. Tomorrow some idiot may say something that drives me once more to blog. I need to get some fiction written, this stuff is just too weird.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:41 am

What those links I posted reveal is the fundamental disconnect between current Republican perception and reality. By any dispassionate analysis Obama has been quite conservative. After all Obamacare is based on an old REPUBLICAN plan. His foreign policy is pretty much Bush minus the incompetence. His inside economic guys are all ex-Wall Street. The central factor has not been Obama's policies so much as his fundamental legitimacy as President. O'Reilly nails it I think. The perception is that the world is changing and the natural order of things is shifting. And as the hysterical rant shows this scares the hell out of people.

It would be easy I suppose to chalk it all up to racism. And god knows there is plenty of that both explicit and sublimated. My rural Georgia relatives by and large think the the niggers are taking over and worry that what they did to them will now be reciprocated. And the Right wouldn't treat a white liberal the way they've treated Obama who isn't white or a liberal.

I'm scared too but of something different. When people are frightened they are capable of doing awful things. White conservatives aren't used to not being in charge politically and culturally. Can they face a world in which they have to negotiate power rather than dictate?

Some interesting times ahead!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

paul

Postby paul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:01 am

Oh my god. Chuck, I just now read the past week here. Brother, you have my deepest commiseration. I'm glad you can be with family. Stay strong, good man.

Petty squabbles indeed.
The medium is the message.

Return to “General”