Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ben W.

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby Ben W. » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 am

The more time comes by, the more I'm convinced Bush Jr. will become known as "the Nixon that got away":

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinio ... 09150.html

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:41 am

Until our country lives by basic moral principles it will only get worse.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 am

FrankChurch wrote:Until our country lives by basic moral principles it will only get worse.

Don't hold your breath. Name me one country that ever has. Countries, as such, are for that.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

FrankChurch wrote:Until our country lives by basic moral principles it will only get worse.

I think it will be when the people demand that our leaders live by basic moral principles that things will only get worse.
I believe that history will back me up on this one, because any time there has been a major change in this, or for that matter, any country, it has been the PEOPLE, not its leaders who have demanded such a change.

With all the media, and one side buying the bulk of it, people remain less informed than they were in the past, so there is little chance that things will change. That is unless this Internet thing catches on, and people get their news and information from other than "official" sources.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:47 pm

They will not know what information is important if there is no media to guide them. That street has to go both ways. You cannot expect humans to just understand things, without there being a media that presents them with an honest view of the world.

It tends to be elites who avoid the moral codes that make sure we don't all just tear each other apart. I don't mean pious morality--MLK, Gandi, Dorothy Day, but basic, banal morality, the kind that prevents you from running over someone with your car or dropping a bowling ball on someone's head. Most of us do not do this, instinctively knowing that it is wrong. Elites defend immorality like this all the time, like the Iraq war, like siding only with Israel.

Basic moral principles are violated by elites every day. That should scare us all. A good defense for people running the show instead. Better than having a bunch of immoral elites holding the keys.

Case in point--Eliott Abrams, a noted war criminal, but a well respected member of the Council on Foreign Relations. The treacle about Reagan. Our intellectual class are dead inside. That should worry us.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 pm

Of course trust in the source of the information is paramount. I may write a column in which I describe Greenland as a lush landscape with rolling fields of grass, thousand foot waterfalls and the best surfer's curls you've ever seen. This, of course, runs in stark contradiction to the "mass media misinformation" posted out there, but you'd be a damned fool to take my word for it and book your trip.

Just because you find a source who tells you what you want to hear, doesn't mean that source is any more reliable than Fox News. I maintain a healthy skepticism of ANY unknown source which asserts expert credentials, particularly on the Internet.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Common sense can undermine a lot of this misinformation. The less someone is promoting power interests the more I trust them. Like the Standford blokes who try to get 3-strikes victims out of prison. They are undermining power and it certainly does not help them rise to the top in elite circles. Grass roots work is mostly just that--with little fanfare. The morality wills it out.

If an actor is promoting a movie, you should never think the movie is good until you see it, no matter how much the actor is lauding it. It is his or her job to promote their own monetary interests, even if that means they have to make shitty art and pretend all is well in the pumpkin patch. They certainly realize mba types run Hollywood.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am

Glenn Greenwald tells us why our elite culture rejects my Noamie:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... ersonality

Then, Noam discussing propaganda from the British Library:

http://www.zcommunications.org/the-role ... am-chomsky

Yea, he's a kook. What kook gets a gig at the British Library? lol

There's no way our libraries would do this.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:04 pm

RocRizzo wrote: That is unless this Internet thing catches on, and people get their news and information from other than "official" sources.

Either that, or they just read what they agree with, to confirm opinions already taken. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:00 pm

On Morning Joe they were pontificating about Watergate, the usual bullshit. They want to make the media look like it actually did some great work. While it avoided Cambodia and cointelpro, but they sticked with Watergate, only because Nixon went after half of private power. Cointelpro went after freedom itself.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:23 pm

Rashid Khalidi on Charlie Rose. The usual Rose problems with honesty on the Israel issue:

http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/12861

In another interview, Rose treats Thomas Friedman like an old friend. I wish PBS would find reality and can this turkey. Let Thom Hartmann host a show.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 pm

Frank, I am in one of my very black moods today, so I wasn't going to post. But I saw that Charlie Rose interview and thought he was objective, that Freidman told the truth about what a mess the situation is and that Rahidi presented the Palestinians very ably. His only criticism of them was they have divided themselves at a time when that is bound to be contrary to their interests. Both Charlie and Rashidi criticised President Obama for presenting an skewed view, too favorable to Israel. I can't imagine what else you or anyone would want. The Palestinians are not completely innocent in causing and perpetuating the mess. To deny that is to condemn the peoples their to another 100 years of tragedy and death.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:02 am

Rose didn't like the title of Khalidi's book. Rashid was using honest language, which in America is outlawed.

If you look at Rose's archive he rarely has on Palestinian supporters, but he always has on Israel flaks, with almost zero debate. He's never had on Finkestein, Pappe, Amira Hass Gideon Levy, all Jews by the way.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Um, some alarming rhetoric from Hugo Chavez's followers and party candidate Maduro regarding the next "election".

ON CHAVEZ (II):
"I don't have any doubt that if any man who walked this earth did what was needed so that Christ the redeemer would give him a seat at his side, it was our redeemer liberator of the 21st century, the comandante Hugo Chavez."

(Comandante? Hardly a democratic term)

AND A NON-PARTISAN MILITARY:
Adm. Diego Molero, the defense minister of an officially non-partisan armed forces:
"The national armed forces will not fail Chavez. ... Once elections are organized, we will honor his wishes and we will give the fascists a tough blow."
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:36 am

Barber, even Lula, who is a western favorite, did an op-ed praising Chavez. Greg Grandin has a wonderful new book telling us just how good Chavez did--poverty down, more freedom, food access, workers councils, more growth. Chavez was blustery, but Obama's quiet murdering is much worse.

Chavez hung with Iran, but we hang with Saudi Arabia. States do corrupt things, all states.

Return to “General”