SCIENCE VS RELIGION

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: SCIENCE VS RELIGION

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

Randi on alternative healing, medicine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=V1V ... =endscreen

Liberals really fall for this. Tom Harkin, shame.

Wasteful government doth exist.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Beware the Religious Industrial Complex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eut9DqH_ ... SmQlV43t0Q

The media really ducked the C-Street stuff. At least Dawkins has something to offer.

Wouldn't you love to see Obama go after these religious charlatans? They can just rip people off, get government payback and nobody cares.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:08 am

Barber wrote:
FrankChurch wrote:I know you hope God is a spotted dog, Jazzgroupie.

God may not BE a spotted dog, but the spotted dog is a lot closer to God than quite a few humans I know (many of them self-professed Christians).

Just sayin'.

And here I thought that god was nothing more than dog spelled backwards!
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Try this on: in an empty universe, you only get empty morality. It's like sending out radio waves, while the aliens do not call back--or even write.

That empty hole in your conscious has to be filled with something. Better than looking over the ledge and seeing nothing but dark.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:47 am

So who says the universe is empty? Just because one does not believe in Big Daddy, the Great Cosmic Santa Claus, doesn't mean it's empty.

That empty hole in your conscious has to be filled with something. Better than looking over the ledge and seeing nothing but dark.

Okay, do you mean consciousness or conscience? You don't need religion to have a conscience. There were non-believers who worked against Hitler, who hid jewish refugees. That's the whole selling point of religion, isn't it? There is something missing, a hole inside you that needs to be filled. Otherwise, you're some kind of soulless automaton.

Filled with something? Like what? Scientology? Catholicism? First Church of Satan? The Flying Spaghetti Monster?

You make religion (not necessarily God) sound like a little kid's blanket. People usually learn to live without their blankie.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:52 am

Don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't had a hole in my conscience since the day I left religion behind. All it ever did for me was make me feel pointlessly guilty. As for holes in one's Consciousness, well, that always needs filling. It's called experience the wonders of the universe and you have to do it every day, even if only for a few minutes. That hole is only filled by using the mind, learning, stretching the imagination.

I actually found that god ain't big enough to fill that hole.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Christopher Hitchens once debated a very smart bloke, a conservative actually, a catholic and literature professor. This is one of Hitchen's hardest ever debates with a religious person, because White is really smart--wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFV7xoIUHE

Hitchens sputters a bunch here. White really has his intellectual creds down, even though he has beliefs in religion I would not like fully.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:22 pm

People are killing themselves because of empty holes in their lives, they drink, kill, rape, steal. Better that they have hope that there is something else, a moral order. So there.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:19 pm

FrankChurch wrote:People are killing themselves because of empty holes in their lives, they drink, kill, rape, steal. Better that they have hope that there is something else, a moral order. So there.

I and a large number of people find no hope in the moral order, so fuck off will ya. You get so upset when non believers say shit like that, but you can glibly spout your sides stuff without thinking. I really wish you'd knock it off.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:30 pm

FrankChurch wrote:...they drink, kill, rape, steal...

And statistically speaking most of them profess belief in a god, go to church, and beg forgiveness when they're caught. If I were a cynic I'd say belief is custom made for hypocrites.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Lori, I get where you are going and I'm sorry if I offended. Hope you are doing well.

----------

I do wish the Reds would hurry up and win.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Mark, we don't have to beg anymore, Jesus forgave even the thief on the cross--he forgave Pilot. Grace is a wide gulf. Flow on, my man.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lori, I get where you are going and I'm sorry if I offended. Hope you are doing well.

OK then tell me where I'm going.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 am

he forgave Pilot

Pilate, Frank. Pontius Pilate. Unless he forgave someone who guided ships in and out of harbors. Watch your spelling, my ipsy-pipsy.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

Rice Peeloff. haha,.

Lori, I aint saying another word. You scare me.

Return to “General”