Sounds of Evil: the Metal Thread

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 am

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat May 02, 2009 11:40 am

Exodus! I nearly broke my nose at that show. . .

When concert volume rises above a certain point, the sound just becomes a muddle. I wonder if any band truly appreciates this.

I'll have to get a pair of those kinda plugs myself Duanne. I find regular ones make me feel like I'm under water, which is not the feeling I try and go for at a show. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 04, 2009 10:18 am

Been listening to Heaven and Hell's new album. Really good.

I think you mooks are trying to test my faith..lol

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon May 04, 2009 1:57 pm

MASTODON

When I first listened to the album Blood Mountain from Mastodon, I hated it. I didn't get it, it wasn't accessible, there didn't seem to be any sort of point to the music -- in other words, I felt like I wasted the $15.00 on the CD.

Fast forward a year later. I'm looking for some music for a long road trip, and after hearing other people I respected say how amazing Mastodon's music was, I decided to give it another spin.

I put the disc into my car's player as I hit the freeway for the ten hour drive ahead of me. Ten hours later, I was GROOVING on it, man!

Mastodon is an acquired taste. Think Tool at their most melodic blended with Frank Zappa, with a little fairy dust or something mixed in that transcends those two influences, and you'll have Mastodon. I just bought their latest release, Crack The Skye, and I'm slowly getting into it.

Click here to sample two of their most representative songs, Capallarian Crest from Blood Mountain and Divinations from their new one. Hit the player and just listen to it. Let it wash over you like a scintillating wave of notes.

You SHAN'T be disappointed!

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6uGV-f_7Hg

Capillarian Crest performed live.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 04, 2009 3:41 pm

What in the world is a Capillarian Crest?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 05, 2009 3:55 pm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 06, 2009 12:31 pm

Dylag, you hip to Canada's own Priestess?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed May 06, 2009 9:51 pm

I am as a matter of fact. I even won a copy of their cd and a shirt at a hot dog eating contest a few years back. . .

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 pm

LIVING COLOUR

The reason why we have this thread in the first place! So that we don't forget those obscure bands who made a real musical difference:

Cult Of Personality

Open Letter to a Landlord

Glamour Boys

Oh yeah, they're back together. Look for the album Chair in the Doorway later this summer.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 am

MASTODON are from Atlanta.

Like me.

I'm so proud.

Hey Duane if you're a Vernon Reed fan let me recommend this here CD

http://www.voiceprint.co.uk/web/Release/PGVP002CD/

This is a recent reissue of a live gig with Percy Howard on vocals, VR on guitar, Trey Gunn (of King Crimson) on stick/bass, and Charles Hayward on drums. VR shreds but also get into some atmospheric psychedelic spacey mind-effing bluesy operatic mood music. You can listen to 30 second snippets over at Amazon but trust me you won't be disappointed.

The only way for me to burn
is in your blue green fire
The only way...

- "Lapis"
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 am

I knew about Living Colour when you all were in diapers.

Duane, that's all they need, another cracker at their shows. haha.

One of the single best concerts I have seen is a free Living Colour show at something called the Taste of Cincinnati. Their jazzy version of Love Rears It's Ugly Head was great.

The critic Chuck Eddy hates Living Colour. He says that Corey Glover sings to well to be a metal singer. hehe.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 07, 2009 8:15 am

Speaking of Corey Glover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXj0PoChAU

Dylag, Priestess kick ass, but they need a better singer.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu May 07, 2009 1:39 pm

FrankChurch wrote:
The critic Chuck Eddy hates Living Colour. He says that Corey Glover sings to well to be a metal singer. hehe.

Chuck Eddy can suck my dick. Metal singers are the best in the business. Of course Rock critics are impossible to please. If the band sounds raw, then they're untalented. If the musicians have classical training, then they lack "soul". But the mainstreme critics are all just shrills for the record companies and the fashion designers, slaves to trend, purveyors of hype, spreaders of gossip, celebrity groupies, spineless, toothless, shallow, superficial hipsters all. Fuck 'em.

Incidentally I saw Corey Glover as Judas in a production of "Jesus Christ Superstar" a couple years back. He sucked. But that's beside the point. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 08, 2009 12:55 pm

"Superficial hipsters!" Holy shit, Dylag, that's peaches and cream there fella. I like that.

I also heard that critics write for other critics.

And, ah, your dick belongs to me. Read the contract.

Return to “Pop Culture”