Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Insurance companies will just reject health care. Not like anyone will put them in jail.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Wishing Christine was a guy, since women tend to be more tender of soul and heart. Male cops are the real ones who need the drubbing.

I'd also say that soldiers are more dupes than Cops, since cops can make independent judgements; soldiers take orders.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey I think Frank's in love.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Nah, FinderDoug is married..lol

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Everybody is talking about the anniversary of the Berlin Wall falling, but the irony is that there is one wall that is going up--the Israel wall. The only thing I can say is, "Mr. Nutenyahoo, tear down this wall!"

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:20 am

I suppose over the next few years revelations like this will come out and no one will be held accountable.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/declassi ... ation.aspx

It's easy to think of the Bush administration as evil and malevolent when often what they really were was frightened and stupid.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:56 am

According to MSNBC Israel harvested organs in the 90s, mostly without consent of the family. They took organs from arabs, Israelis, military people. They stopped it in 2000. Sick stuff.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:29 am

Frank -- Thought you might find this interesting:

We were at a party last night held at the house of some friends who are of the judaic persuasion. (They Jewish.) He is a very successful glass artist and teaches technique all around the world, including in Seattle, Australia and Israel.

They were relating an incident which occurred in Israel, in which people described by the local Israelis as "Radicals" stoned cars passing through their neighborhood the Saturday before. As our friends were shopping there was the sound of firecrackers, which they realized seconds later was gunfire. Everyone in the store froze, counted to 60m and then relaxed. "The Radicals", tsked the shopkeeper, "we have major problems with the Radicals." The Radicals, our friends found out, were out in the street firing guns and marching on a local University to protest a religious offense.

The shopkeeper and other locals kept condemning these Radicals as counterproductinve and closed-minded people who were "a major part of the problem".

The Radicals -- those people roundly condemned by the mainstream everyday Israelis -- were Hasidic Jews.

Anecdotal, but it does indicate that not all Israelis are evil, or "Radicals" themselves.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:31 pm

I have never said that Israelis are evil. All evangelicals are not evil, all Mormons...the GOVERNMENT, on the other hand.

If I found out Venezuela harvested organs you folks would use it to kill me.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:43 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:It's easy to think of the Bush administration as evil and malevolent when often what they really were was frightened and stupid.

Ezra - There is not always a great deal of open space between those two positions.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:30 pm

"It is more comforting to believe in villainy than muddle." -- David Reisman
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:53 pm

Villainy with a smiling face is the worst kind. Remember Bush's smirk?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Frank wrote:
According to MSNBC Israel harvested organs in the 90s, mostly without consent of the family. They took organs from arabs, Israelis, military people. They stopped it in 2000. Sick stuff.

Um, Frank? You might have wanted to make it a little clearer that the organs were harvested from DEAD Israelis and Palestinians. The practice of doing that without the family's permission is against the judaic moral codes and would be roundly condemned by most people in Israel. It is not clear if it was a matter of policy, or individuals who took it upon themselves to harvest the corneas and skin, etc.

And, yes they should have asked. But your statement, "Israel harvested organs" implicates the whole nation, not just individuals who were supposed to be performing autopsies.

Here's the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34503294/ns ... tn_africa/

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Is it against Islam to harvest organs?

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:08 pm

hey there frank,
what's the best (most popular) flavor of icecream to searve with apple pie?
i was thinking vanilla?
pumkin with whipped cream
pecan pie on it's own
(i'm in charge of pie this year)

while that question belongs in pop culture, it occured to me after i considered the "news" question;
does your monicker refer to the United States Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations with Respect to Intelligence Activities?

happy holydays all.
follow your bliss,mike

Return to “General”