Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:53 am

Barber wrote:Different Bradbury in my hands. I started Twice Twenty Two and dropped it in favor of From the Dust Returned -- it seemed like a perfect October fix.

Is that the extended Uncle Einar?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 am

Steve Evil wrote:
Barber wrote:Different Bradbury in my hands. I started Twice Twenty Two and dropped it in favor of From the Dust Returned -- it seemed like a perfect October fix.

Is that the extended Uncle Einar?

Essentially. Uncle Einar is one of the stories contained -- but what Bradbury did is to write a much large framework around six of his "October Country" short stories. It extends the stories into a much larger novel-length whole. The core of the story is The Homecoming of relatives from around the world to the House in October Country, focussing on the decision to be made as to what the Family is, and what they want to become in a world which no longer believes in their kind. Because it's framed around existing pieces it can be a bit redundant at times -- several references to family members' abilities in different chapters, repetitive wording to describe an event, etc -- but it's a great read for pre-Halloween. And rather familiar and comforting at the same time.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:39 am

Oddly enough, though The October Countryis one of my favourite collections ever, I wasn't too thrilled with the Uncle Einar stories. A bit too whimsical I suppose.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 am

Please, Please, Someone tell me a way to get "The October Country" without having to rely on overseas transportation.

I need some Gothic tales in my hand! Bring me Poe and Dunsany in bound leather tomes! :P

K.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:52 am

Kafka -

http://www.Amazon.co.uk carries it and ships throughout Europe.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:24 am

Finished The Scar. All I can say is.... WOW!

Yeah its a long read and hard going at times but it is so worthwhile. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to SFX magazine for introducing me to his work.

Now on to The Japanese Devil-fish Girl And Other Unnatural Attractions by Robert Rankin. (yeah that REALLY is the name of the book)

Also worth a look for all you guys stateside is a local writer to me, he lives in Dumfries. Mark Frankland. He just did a book called Mere Anarchy, named from the Yeats poem The Second Coming, which my wife read and loved. Its about the UK in the grip of deep financial problems. No-one recieves any unemployment benefits. Theyre put into camps. Very much like concentration camps, and theyre given free food shipped into the camp in tankers. And they have to stay there til they find work. An interesting idea.

http://www.justgiving.com/first-base-agency

Link above for anyone who would like to buy the book. The proceeds go to charity, though I am not sure if they will ship to the states.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 am

Is it meant to be utopian or dystopian? There are some who would love a world like that.

Oddly enough, Mere Anarchy is also the name of a Woody Allen collection. I would be willing to bet it's the more cheery read of the two.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 am

" The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving. This one's about a schoolteacher who loves ghost stories too much for his own good. Hmmm. . .
Love the man's prose style.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Great interview here with Paul Fussell:

http://www.neh.gov/news/humanities/1996-11/fussell.html

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm

Great interview Frank, thanks. I don't agree with him about class though. Certainly in Britain and Europe class is independent of money but not in America. America isn't an old enough country to have created a class system independent of personal wealth yet. And to use Donald Trump as an example is weird because to me Trump is one of the most vulgar and shabby people I've ever heard of. People want to kiss his ass because he's rich not because of his "taste". And who would care about Paris Hilton is she wasn't rich?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Paul Fussel wrote an interesting book on WWII. I think it was simply called warfare. He did another on WWI, but it was mainly about poetry.

I am finding the English class system incredibly wierd. Whatever my political sympathies, I have been placed by all I encounter firmly in the "posh" category, simply for enunciating my sylables and having a vocabulary larger than "whadohfoke?".

Orwell nailed it in "The Road to Wiggan Pier"

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 am

Steve I must say I would love to be placed in the "posh" category. In the UK it does help a lot in the job market and is of inestimable value. Sadly however I grew up in Glasgow so I have a mode of speach that is more akin to Billy Connolly in my pronunciation than I am to.... say Prince Charles? Although I am more than able to hold my own in most discussions and am able to put forward a balanced and intelligent arguement, it is still in what I consider a bloody awful accent. I dont want to lose it completely, I would just prefer if it was toned down just a little. After all, many people regard the Scottish accent as being one of the most beautiful to hear out of all the English speaking world.

The fact is that in the UK as soon as someone hears a Glasgow accent they automatically assume you are some kind of psycho hard man who is going to cut them up with a straight razor. This of course being the image of Glasgow from the past. Now for all that Glasgow is a rough and dangerous city in some respects, its also a trully beautiful one with loads of worthwhile things within. Myself and all my friends are always welcoming of strangers, we are in some ways the cities greatest ambassadors. But all of that is torn assunder my the scumbag junkie fuck up or the slimey little shit ned (Non Educated Delinquent... Glasgow slang) who tarnish the streets of my city. People remember that bad things, not the good, I doubt they would remember that helpful and friendly train driver who had a vast knowledge of how to get around Glasgow.

So posh I am not. But nor am I one of those molecule brains that walk our streets ans stealing oxygen that could have been put to better use. I guess I am in that grey area in between.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:12 am

Fussell's point is that there are classy poor people and vulgar rich. In America you can cut class difference with a knife. What we lack is class consiousness.

I like his point about being taught to kill, how it fucks you up, actually makes you less violent, more anti-war.

The right tend to be pacifists. Could you imagine Glenn Beck using piano wire on someone's neck? They outcall violence to young bucks who are pumped full of patriotic kool-aid.

War is not noble, his main ideal.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:50 am

Finally read "Behold the Man", by Michael Moorcock in novella form (it was later turned into a full lnegth novel). Brilliant work. It is the story of a Jewish man who gains access to a time machine and returns to the year 28 AD (or CE if you prefer). In some ways this work reminded me of Monty Python's Life of Brian, but without the laughts.

For those who have not read it, and are not squeamish about religious topics being covered in a novel, I would highly recommend this story
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Rick Keeney

read it and weep

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:44 pm

PEACE AND MEMORY by Mark Tiedemann whom I met at Gene Wolfe's banquet table at MadCon
THE CORNELIUS CHRONICLES by Michael Moorcock
misc CEREBUS comix by Dave Sim
BRIEFING FOR A DESCENT INTO HELL by Doris Lessing
CITIZEN OF THE GALAXY by Robert A. Heinlein
DON'T SAY A WORD by Andrew Klavin, any relation, Paul?
and Larry Niven's PROTECTOR

None of which have really grabbed me; and an obvious offshoot of clinical issues relating to attentional focus, I know, I know.

Return to “Pop Culture”