Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm

For what it's worth dragon, I have nothing but fond memories of Glasgow and Scotland in general (though there was once a rank odour wafting over the necropolis). My recent trip to Inverness has only strengthened the memories. Neither my brother's unlucky encoutner with some neds years back, nor repeated viewings of Trainspotting when I was a teenager have soured my impressions.

But the wide range of dialects in the UK, and the assumptions made based on them is a continual source of beffudlement for me. I suppose it's a bit flattering to be automatically placed in the privileged group, but it also brings alot of resentment before I've even had the chance to earn it. I came with the North American idea that class was about money, and personality or education or intelligence was something unrelated. Here I find money's almost beside the point. It's interesting to see.

(What am I reading? Nothing at the moment. I've been doing nothing but lesson planning and marking).

swp

Postby swp » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:09 pm

I'm reading a book on anti-gravity, which is impossible to put down.

8)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 am

:roll:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:29 am

:shock:
:oops:
:twisted:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:15 pm

:? :x :cry: :P :| :mrgreen: :wink: :?: :!:

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Frank

You really need to get that butt of yours out to SF. I was at City Lights Bookstore today and saw a shitload of Chomsky books that made me think fondly of you!

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:44 pm

You should have asked the store why my man is so popular. haha

I'm reading the Portable Curmudgeon, Chris Hedges new one, the Death of the Liberal Class--really slams the neo-liberal corporate types. And Joshua Holland's The Fifteen Biggest Conservative Lies About the Economy.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Frank

City Light Books is the oldest contiunally running bookstore in America. So, in order to be that, they have to cater to all types, even your type, what ever that is.

You would love the place. The basement is where all the good books are. You have to take this narrow squeaky staircase down there! But once ya get there, there are all sorts of really cool books.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:24 pm

I bet.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Currently, I'm reading American Gods. A man being eaten by a woman's vulva. Huh. Fascinating book.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:53 pm

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. One of my all time favourite books. The idea of all the cultures bringing their gods to north america and they remain evan after the culture departs is wonderful. I particularily loved Mr Wednesday. Odin, The All Father. What a great character. And Mr Nancy is super cool too. If you enjoy this one you really have to read Anansi Boys. Its a lovely book.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 am

Chuck and Ian, American Gods is wonderful. I believe that was the first Gaiman book I loaned to Keith Cramer many years ago, and now I have him hooked on Gaiman. If you have not read some of his short story collections, like Smoke & MIrrors, I would recommend them also

Neil hosted a party at the House on the Rock over Halloween. My friend Jody, whom some of you met at MadCon, attended, but I have not yet gotten the details from her yet about the party
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 am

I'm a bit schizophrenic when it comes to Gaiman. I loved American Gods and Neverwhere, but was left a bit cold by Anansi Boys and Stardust. I'll admit: didn't hate the latter, and DID love the former.

*shrug*
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:17 am

OMG.... Neil Gamin is GOD! I bless the day an old friend of mine plopped all the Sandman trade paperbacks in my lap, explained that he'd ordered them it the way he thought would make sense for me and told me to take my time.

Six months later, and I was hooked.

Funny thing is that I was following a comic that this guy reccomended in a similar maner. He brought me all his Preacher comics, droped them in my lap, and told me that I was the only person he knew who was warpped enough to understand them. Which was kinda cool all things considered. In the first issue, you find out that the main character was the ofspring of a demon and an angel.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:47 am

Barber,

Let me know if you want me to send you some volumes of Sandman or Smoke & Mirrors. Trust me, they are worth it (or if you want almost anything else Neil related, all you gotta do is ask, my Neil collection sits right below my Harlan stuff in my bookshelves)

Lori, I really do need to read Preacher, no idea why I have not done so yet (I may add it to my wish list for Hanukkah Harry)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “Pop Culture”