Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:28 am

The Truth by Terry Pratchet. I think it set me free!

swp

Postby swp » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 am

I've decided to reread all of the Discworld books, in order. That'll teach me to pick up a copy of Hogfather to read over Christmas. And having to rebuy them, and only in the cheapest paperback form, is costing me a few shiny nickles. But it's worth it.
swp

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 am

I loved the typos in the motto of the Ankh Morpork Times. The truth will make you fred. The truth will make you fret. Etc.

Like all of Pratchett's books it is very clever, a great observation of the human archetype, in the form of a fantasy comedy. The characters are well written, though to my mind the best one is still Lord Vetinari, the Patrician. The observations of what people are really like is just brilliantly funny, as many of will know for a fact that people are dumb, greedy, power hungry and unpleasant.

You may have noticed that I am a bit of a fan. In fact I have read all of the Discworld books with the exception of Unseen Academicals. I just couldnt get into it, probably because its about football (soccer to you americans) a sport that I hate. Though I have to say that if anyone is thinking of reading the books, Wee Free Men is a good place to start, though it does have established characters in it, it is a separate series of novels for young teens. And it has a bunch of small, blue tattooed, Glaswegian pixies called the Nac Mac Feegles who are absolutely hilarious.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:57 am

I'm about halfway through, and it's probably my favourite Pratchet book yet. While I've always enjoyed Pratchet, I've not been what one would call a "true believer", being not particularily impressed by "Johny and the Bomb" or "Men at Arms". But The Truth is a riot. . .

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I have only read one of the Discworld books but loved it. Something I definitely plan on reading more of at some point

I just started Heart Shaped Box and am very impressed so far. As good as 20th Century Ghosts was, this novel is a far better work (at least so far)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:00 pm

I've only read one book so far and the one with Neil Gaiman, but I loved both. Just finished Alice Hoffman's Story Sister's a week or so ago. Good but maybe more a female book than a male. If there is such a thing.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 pm

diane bartels wrote:I've only read one book so far and the one with Neil Gaiman, but I loved both. Just finished Alice Hoffman's Story Sister's a week or so ago. Good but maybe more a female book than a male. If there is such a thing.

The Gaiman/Pratchet novel is called Good Omen, and If I EVER get around to it I'd like to start reading Discworld books. Which leads me to this question.... I can never find the books in any sort of numerical order. So, for those of you who have read 'em, do the books need to be read in order and if not which should I start with?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Colour of Magic comes first. After that is anybody's guess.

(actually, they're listed on the inside covers. There are many re-occuring themes and characters, so I would start at the beginning).

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:35 pm

Pratchett's books tend to be grouped into sort of mini collections, thought most can be read alone without any great detraction from the overall mozaic that is the Discworld. I'll try tand group them as best I remember them without leaving my seat and going to have a look at the book case, which is an entire 30 feet away and is just too much for my lazy arse at this time of night.....

The Wizards/Rincewind novels....

The Colour Of Magic
The Light Fantastic
Sourcery
Eric
Interesting Times
Unseen Academicals

The Witches Novels....

Equal Rites
Wyrd Sisters
Witches Abroad
Maskerade
Carpe Jugulum

The City Watch Novels....

Guards! Guards!
Men At Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo
Night Watch
The Fifth Elephant
Thud

The Death novels

Mort
Reaper Man
Soul Music
Hogfather

The Tiffany Aching novels (for younger readers and amazingly funny!)

Wee Free Men
Hat Full Of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight

There are other stand alone Discworld novels as follows

The Truth
Making Money
Going Postal
Moving Pictures
Pyramids
Thief Of Time
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
The Last Hero.

As you can see there are rather a lot of them. Apparantly more of Pratchett's books are stolen from bookshops than most authors sell in the UK. Which may say something. I.E. The brits are a bunch of thieving gypos or suchlike ;)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Homage to Catalonia, George Orwell's account of his experiences in the Spanish Civil War. Fascinating insights into the farcical war where every ideology failed. You'd like it Frank: the anarchist movement comes across very sympathetically.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 am

I recently purchased a book at Blockbuster Video (yes, Blockbuster) titled, A Century of Stop Motion Animation, From Melies to Aardman by Ray Harryhausen and Tony Dalton. It includes a large section on Willis O'Brien, who was the original subject for the book before it was expanded to include the whole history of the art. Interesting stuff for the film buff.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:41 pm

I miss stop motion. . .

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:42 pm

A few months ago Lori and I talked about the first volume of the graphic novel Preacher; I picked up a copy this past weekend and was...underwhelmed. I went in expecting to like it, if not love it, and the story just did not resonate with me. The idea of Genesis itself seemed a bit like a storyline I read in the comic Lucifer (not to mention I was uncertain how such a being could be contained for any length of time), the angels reminded me a lot of the film Prophecy in their demeanor, and I just don't buy his ex girlfriend as an assassin.

I will say that I am growing more impressed with the Walking Dead, volume 2 was picked up at the same time I got Preacher, and that just blew me away. I need to get that series off of Netflix and see how faithfully they kept to the comic
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 am

Currently a third of the way through John Vernon's Lucky Billy; mixed feelings on it - some great segments, but by and large I've found too many spots where I could set it aside. (Vernon was my senior adviser back at SUNY Binghamton, so I do enjoy dropping in to see what he's up to from time to time.)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:52 pm

I had a chance to meet and talk to Nalo Hopkinson last night. Fascinating and very nice woman.

Has anyone read her work, and can you recommend where to start?

http://nalohopkinson.com/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”