Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Peaceful protest! How can you have peaceful protest when some thug cop hits you on the head! I want to protest. Too bad Americans are all asleep.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 pm

They're making a big deal about the looting. This is what happens when hungry people give up. Loot, loot! yeaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Frank do you ever pay attention?

I don't own a television. I provided you with an internet link to Al Jazeera's effing website.

As far as peaceful protest, well go tell it to Martin Luther King Jr or Gandhi. They thought there should be a difference between the oppressed and their oppressors.

Or if that's too deep for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y

And hungry people loot shops they don't smash priceless artifacts in the Cairo museum.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:11 pm

Noam Chomsky on the Egypt situation:
(Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlkGjX8bslc
(Part 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATc3ZmhfKuU

If you have a half hour, you will find out a lot about how we are in cahoots with the dictators in the Middle East, and have been for quite some time.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 pm

FrankChurch wrote:They're making a big deal about the looting. This is what happens when hungry people give up. Loot, loot! yeaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Which explains the looting of Egyptian antiquities at the museum...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:40 am

Well I was wondering how long it would be until one of the Bushies came out and claimed that Jr's policies caused the current events in Egypt and the other countries of the Middle East. In Sunday's Wash Post an opinion piece by Eliot Abrams (adviser to Bush and reaching back a bit, one of the architects of Reagan's murderous Central America policy and participant in Iran-Contra) did just that.

He actually talked about Bush's "vision"!!! Never mind that Bush's rhetoric about freedom in the Middle East was only presented as a justification for the invasion of Iraq after the inconvenient lack of weapons of mass destruction became clear. Never mind that Bush completely overlooked human rights abuses by allies in the region who cooperated in the war on terror.

But that'll be the big story. Bush was right all along!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm

Ezra, get a tv, get in the game.

--------

According to Robert Fisk the looting of the Museum was probably the police.

It hurt me as well.

--------

Ezra, but the Contras were fighting the dreaded Commies you hate so much. You should fully approve of everything Reagan did.

Get a tv.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:46 pm

Roc, I'm on speed with Chomsky. Trust me.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Roc, Chomsky was on the Young Turks. I can't believe I missed this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwqkvF7u ... re=fvwkrel

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:47 am

I caught that one a while back Frank. I guess I am also up to speed with Chomsky as well.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Forbes, self-described "magazine for Business Leaders" has published the results of a new survey to find the "happiest people" on earth. What do they mean by "happy"?

Legatum recently completed its 2010 Prosperity Index, which ranks 110 countries, covering 90% of the world's population.

To build its index Legatum gathers data from 12 sources the Gallup polling group, the Heritage Foundation and the World Economic Forum. Each country is ranked on 89 variables sorted into eight subsections: economy, entrepreneurship, governance, education, health, safety, personal freedom and social capital.

Now in a survey from such a strongly pro-capitalist, pro-business perspective guess who made the top 10?

Norway
Denmark
Finland
Australia
New Zealand
Sweden
Canada
Switzerland
Netherlands
United States

Note that the majority of these are liberal, secular, welfare states. Just the opposite of what our homegrown business lobby tells us is the way god intended people to live. When the apostles of American Exceptionalism come calling, remind them that New Zealand has the best educated population and ranks first in level of civil liberties, and the Danes have the highest standard of living in the world (and interestingly the lowest business startup costs).

My question is, did the US really make number 10 or did they just squeeze us in there so we wouldn't feel so bad?

ps Imagine living in a world where you have to choose between the Contras and the Sandinistas? Turn off the TV, Frank. Read a book.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:08 am

- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:14 pm

That doofus Billo tells Denny Miller that there are no women protesting in Egypt, but I look at Democracy Now and see seas of women there, being interviewed, treated equally to the men, wanting the same things.

Billo has lard between his ears.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:37 am

CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian army tanks and soldiers cleared away pro-government rioters and deployed between them and protesters seeking the fall of President Hosni Mubarak, moving to halt violence as the prime minister made an unprecedented apology Thursday for the assault by regime backers that turned central Cairo into a battle zone.
Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said the attack Wednesday on the anti-Mubarak protesters was a "blatant mistake," acknowledged it was likely organized and promised to investigate who was behind it.

I find it appalling that the protests were essentially peaceful until the pro-government side started the violence.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:39 am

Israel is siding with Mubarak and want Obama to defend him.

Return to “General”