Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:44 am

Anderson Cooper is being beaten, Christiane Amanpour threatened, but Robert Fisk has been welcomed. Sure, he's a brit, but Egypt hates the brits as well. They know Fisk is in solidarity with democracy.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 am

I will mail a dollar to anyone who can find three factual inaccuracies in Frank's above statement. Not kidding. Cites, Frank, cites.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Barber wrote:
CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian army tanks and soldiers cleared away pro-government rioters and deployed between them and protesters seeking the fall of President Hosni Mubarak, moving to halt violence as the prime minister made an unprecedented apology Thursday for the assault by regime backers that turned central Cairo into a battle zone.
Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq said the attack Wednesday on the anti-Mubarak protesters was a "blatant mistake," acknowledged it was likely organized and promised to investigate who was behind it.

I find it appalling that the protests were essentially peaceful until the pro-government side started the violence.

Appalling yes, but upon reflection how extraordinarily stupid as well. I was fearful that the govt was simply going to isolate the protestors and wait them out until the fervor died. But now they've re-energized the protests and made the protestors even more sympathetic to the outside world than they already were.

What a dumbass thing to do. Fear and desperation is all it is. Grabbing for any hand-hold as you slide off down the drain.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Ezra, you want us to more sympathetic to them, right? These people make our founding fathers look like thugs.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Actual fits of anarchism in Egypt. You gotta love this:

http://www.zcommunications.org/anarchy- ... n-dominick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:50 pm

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:54 pm

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Don't believe all the media hype about the evil Muslim Brotherhood. According to Stephen Zunes, an expert of the region, the Brotherhood is about 20-25 percent of Egypt, they really had little to do with the protests, coming to them late. In any election, even though they would win some seats, the Brotherhood could never take over the country. The people would not allow it.

So, unlike what Glenn Beck says, the Caliphate aint happenin.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:00 pm

And I was sooo looking forward to being Mrs. Sultan. What is that, like Sultaness? I think I'd look smashing in a turban. Oh well, another dream bites the dust. Guess I'll just settle for being an IAP - Irish-American Princess.

RocRizzo

Postby RocRizzo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:14 pm

So Frank, I see that you are hip to Z communications too. What about the mag, Dollars and Sense?

Oh, yeah, and I was serious about the pissing festival that I stated in the Pav.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:32 pm

diane bartels wrote:And I was sooo looking forward to being Mrs. Sultan. What is that, like Sultaness? I think I'd look smashing in a turban. Oh well, another dream bites the dust. Guess I'll just settle for being an IAP - Irish-American Princess.

At least you get to be something interesting..

I'm a GAP.... Not something I look forward to explaining.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 am

Roc, I haven't read an issue, but I do peruse Z, especially Zmag, where most of my ideas come from. This is the only place you can find anarchist ideals taken seriously.

I also follow Doug Henwood, an amazing Marxist economist. Dean Baker, Mark Weisbrot, Ha-joon Chang, James K Galbraith, the Economic Policy Institute. Our progressive economists are Godly. To bad they are blacklisted.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:51 pm

You'll be happy to know that Chomsky was featured in last week's Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... dependence

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:58 pm

They want to cut public pensions, but tax cuts for the rich, that's a-ok.

Steven Eviler, he is right, it's not about Israel, about the Muslim Brotherhood, we just don't want people to defend their own interests. It scares the elites, who want to be the civil authority. They want to give us cookies to make us look free, but own us outright. Subtle slavery lives under the pancake.

Return to “General”