Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

cynic

Re: Frank Church's news corner, the sequel.

Postby cynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:01 am

why is page 373 so loooong?
follow your bliss,mike

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 am

I don't remember this, it's been under scrutiny for a while . Or possibly they didn't find what they wanted, or expected?
time may tell.

Is AARP The GOP's New ACORN?
Evan McMorris-Santoro | October 28, 2009
"For their part, AARP officials say they're not worried about being taken down by the GOP attacks in the same way that ACORN was. The group has been accused of conflicts of interest many times over the years, most notably during the 2003 debate over the Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage plan. Back then, it was Democrats who vilified the AARP, claiming there was a conflict behind the the group's support for the bill, which helped to guarantee its passage."
" The AARP official we spoke to said there was a different tone to those Democratic attacks however. This time around, Republicans are directly accusing the AARP of corruption and secret dealings. The official was confident the AARP will weather the controversy but said it's clear the GOP has put the group in its sights."
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009 ... hp?ref=fpb
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm

What do you do for a living Mike?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:53 pm

Air America going under wasn't so bad after all:

Thom Hartmann is a top talk show host, also he has a tv show on RT. The Young Turks went online, are booming. Ring of Fire is online, doing well. Laura Flanders is kicking butt with Grit Tv. Maddow, Ed Schultz, Cenk Uyger all on MSNBC. Al Franken is a senator!

This is a kind of staying power on the left that you would never see a few years ago. The public is getting it.

----------

Not only did the government spy on legal political groups in the 60s, they also spied on UFO groups. Back then, during the advanced paranoia of the Cold War, everyone in their eyes was subversive.

Odd that nowadays the subversive ones are on the right.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:33 pm

FrankChurch wrote:What do you do for a living Mike?
i've already said, to which i will only add , over 38 union years.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:29 am

There's nothing lowly about being a parking attendant. You will get no static from me..lol

God, I don't listen to people. :oops:

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:28 pm

good for you frank,
i'm sure you'll come just as far, someday.
are you still washing pots?
have they promoted you to dishes yet ?
those breakables are a huuge responsibility aren't they !

what is it you're trying to do here again ?

keep spreading the shit lil buddy.
wash your hands.
don't forget to wear your helmet.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Try to live in a world with dirty dishes.

Imagine if there was no garbage pickup or sewage work. Our society needs these people, would be paralyzed without them. But we could do without hedge fund managers. The world would not miss them.

cynic

Postby cynic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote: Try to live in a world with dirty dishes.
it was the first job i applied for ; got stuck busing tables instead, hiiigh end joint, suit and tie .
the day the punk dishwashers walked (the imported illegals stayed), stickin' it to the man, yeah, i got the opportunity to get a few nights a week in the back.

potwashing gig was the best (when frenchie had time off); assisting Chef and helping cooks, wait staff, salad girls.
FrankChurch wrote: Imagine if there was no garbage pickup or sewage work. Our society needs these people, would be paralyzed without them.
or they would pick up after themselves.
we're not all cut out to manage hedge funds.
for some the best they can do is sweep streets, no shame there.
Lacking status can get some bitter and twisted though, some aholes like to belittle people for status.
Insulting people just to gain status is sick, right frank?
FrankChurch wrote: But we could do without hedge fund managers. The world would not miss them.
You're hallucinating again frank,
wake the fuc up.
follow your bliss,mike

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:45 am

2012 Presidential wannabe Newt Gingrich spoke at the Cornerstone Baptist Church in Texas recently. Pastor John Hagee's church, remember him from last time?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/03 ... z1I0Baci9s

"I have two grandchildren — Maggie is 11, Robert is 9," Gingrich said at Cornerstone Church here. "I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they're my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."

This kind of cognitive dissonance porobably played well among the fundies and the teabaggers but don't be fooled for a minute. Newt has not suddenly become stupid. This is a calculated attempt to play to his audience.

Newt got his start as Georgia representative for the 6th district which it happens is the district in which your humble correspndent found himself. You might say I've had a front row seat to the rise of the Newt right from the beginning.

He is a former history professor and still counts himself as a historian of sorts. He knows perfectly well about the history of this country, the intent of the founders and the falseness of what he is saying.

He is a loathsome scumbag. Newt won his first election by conducting a viscious smear campaign against his opponent and I've seen no evidence to convince me he's changed. He will do anything and say anything to get elected and has no ethics whatsoever. Newt is another Richard Nixon waiting to happen.

I'm not worried about any of you voting for him but the thumpers and the tea party folks are not known for their insight, alas.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:47 am

Islamicists have a real foothold in this country..lol

I don't know too many atheists who play footsy with islamicists. Good God this man is evil.

--------------

I still don't get how I am a human rights person, believe in gay rights, women's rights, free speech, I'm a christian, but I am a bad guy at the same time. Does that make any sense? What bad person gives a whit about human rights? If I was the monster Mark or Loftus thought I was I would be conservative.

Ironic that you have Cindy, nice as she can be, really conservatives, while you staunch liberals are meanies. I thought you all were about tolerance..lol

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."[/i]

I agree that this is a brutally cynical play at catering to a specific audience.

I just wish he'd made some sort of sense when he said it. A "secular, atheist country...dominated by radical islamists". Wha?

Wouldn't those two things be mutually exclusive?

Or should I be worried that he wants to ensure a radically Christian nation, which uses secular atheism and islamicism as excuses to vilify people who can''t appreciate the values of a free society built on equality and tolerance for everyone unless they're not radical Christians?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Barber wrote:
Ezra Lb. wrote:they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."[/i]

I agree that this is a brutally cynical play at catering to a specific audience.

I just wish he'd made some sort of sense when he said it. A "secular, atheist country...dominated by radical islamists". Wha?

Wouldn't those two things be mutually exclusive?

Or should I be worried that he wants to ensure a radically Christian nation, which uses secular atheism and islamicism as excuses to vilify people who can''t appreciate the values of a free society built on equality and tolerance for everyone unless they're not radical Christians?

My guess is that for the religious right "secular" has become a code word for anti-Christian. It is incomprehensible to them that anyone (much less the state) can be neutral on religion. You're either for it or against it, no middle ground. So in that context Newt's statement makes a sort of sense - anti-christian & pro-islamic.

What's scary is that Newt is smart enough and cynical enough to know that and tell the hayseeds what they want to hear. What's going to undermine him with the fuindies though is his dodgy personal life. They really hate it when you have sex in a non-biblical way. (You know, one man and one woman married for life, two minutes a month, he bites on a stick and she counts to a hundred.)
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:14 pm

i don't read minds; or no-minds, for that matter.

But newtie may have been offering two different directions american culture could turn (other than evangelical).

what i do find odd, is the time frame suggested for such a massive cultural shift to occur.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:31 am

Newt is as much of a hayseed as the rubes he regurgitates into.

Too bad we know longer have Will Rogers to put a person like that in his place.

Norman Rockwell could paint it.

---------

Return to “General”