Wathcya watchin'?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Wathcya watchin'?

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:55 am

Kudos to my man Sean Penn for bagging Scarlett Johansson. The perfect woman, obviously.

swp

Postby swp » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Kudos to my man Sean Penn for bagging Scarlett Johansson. The perfect woman, obviously.

how many different things can we find that are wrong with this. A genuine bona fide no prize to the person who finds the most!

Frank: seek help.
swp

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:45 pm

SWP, now what?

Scarlett is a beautiful, smart young lady. Any man would give his left arm for just a whisp of her hair touching us. Now if you are a married man that explains it, since your wife is probably looking over your shoulder. lol

cynic

Postby cynic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:05 pm

swp wrote: how many
six
but i am not looking again
i will not dispute any challenges
steve p.; you are a brave person.

the carnage will/has continue/d.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I've watched this fabulous documentary about Alan Moore--wonderful guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucba9NtF ... re=related

He is scary looking, but so smart, so quiet of spirit, so attuned to the land and the mores of humanity. Lovely dude.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:02 pm

I've been under the weather for a few days, so yesterday decided to flip the world the finger, shut the curtains, cuddle with the dog and watch a marathon of fun.

In order:

James and the Giant Peach
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Zombieland
Up!
Ratatouille

Interspersed with partial episodes of Top Gear, No Reservations and Top Chef

I feel much better today.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 am

the news made me look for a flic i havent seen since i was a kid

"No Highway in the Sky"
a jimmy stewart '51 aircraft disaster flic

metal fatigue :shock: spooky/trippy

years before the british comet problems
follow your bliss,mike

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:30 am

Screamers, with Peter Weller. Based on P.K. Dick's Second Variety, this movie actually sticks fairly close to the plot of the original story -- published in 1953, I think. One of the better adaptations of his work. Nice and creepy, very credible looking, and the titular Screamers are the robotic equivalent of a cross between a cirular saw and a piranha.

Doomsday Machine, a late 60's "scifi" film riffed by the gang at Cinematic Titanic. Silly science, hardly any fiction. It includes stolen effects footage from a number of Japanese SF films, some footage from a Russian film, Earth looks like a basketball covered with plaster of paris and painted by a fifth grader. The film includes the comedy stylings of Bobby Van.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm

So did you like Doomsday Machine or no?

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. Perfect Sunday night fare. Wonder if the plan actually would have worked. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:26 pm

They also riff normal movies. I do wish they would all get together and resume the Starship of Love.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

Mail ordered one of my old time faves THE UNINVITED from 1941. A genuinely spooky ghost story/mystery/romance starring Ray Milland and a fine cast of old time British actors. If you've seen many British movies from the 30s you'll recognize them all.

Who can beat a spooky old haunted mansion on the cliffs overlooking the sea? Forces from beyond the grave struggling for the soul of an innocent young (and beautiful) woman. A seance by candlelight? Mysterious cries and whispers?

It's a good one.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

cynic

Postby cynic » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:26 pm

gotta say; the remake of The Prisoner is on my list to watch again.
a rich enough parrable to wallow in at least once or twice more.
follow your bliss,mike

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:14 am

I've been checking out "Body of Proof," the new Dana Delaney series in which she plays a former neurosurgeon who screwed up, resigned, and is now working as a medical examiner for the City of Philadelphia. Mainly, Carole's loyal to Delaney because when "China Beach" was running, before I met her, my future wife was a big fan of that show and its star. (I still haven't seen a minute of it.)

The girl's still looking mighty fine at age 56. The show is so-so thus far. The usual interesting forensic details, semi-goofy supporting characters, relationship problems (she's divorced and her teenage daughter is estranged and wary), etc., etc. I got a little irritated at having to work our way through the exposition running through the first few eps. (First one was a week ago tonight, they jammed in a second on Sunday night, and the third just finished.)

The only slightly new thing is that her boss, the head M.E., is a woman . . . played by Jeri Ryan. Very nice to see her working again. So far Sonja Sohn, who was fantastic as the lesbian detective on "The Wire," is being wasted as a detective/cop in this show. The show seemed a little stronger tonight than starting out, though they're still making Delaney act a bit ham-fisted about her character's poor social skills. I guess I'll watch another episode or two, but I got a feeling I won't stick with it.

Otherwise, I'm just too busy with other things -- managing my acting business, doing free-lance writing, memorizing lines for auditions and short shoots, and so on -- to watch any shows or even DVDs on a regular basis. Since Carole likes to watch "The Mentalist" and the new Tom Selleck show "Blue Bloods," I sometimes overhear or see parts of those shows. The quality seems better than "Body of Proof" -- the new show seems especially promising. But I don't keep up with them.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

The Best Thing I Ever Ate on Food Network. Try not to eat the tv guide.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Odd; The Prisoner was the dominant document of my teenaged years, but I've never been able to revisit it. Too closely associated with an era of one's life? Doesn't seem to hinder the constant Doctor Who and Godzilla marathons. . . :?

Return to “Pop Culture”