THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

cynic

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby cynic » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:55 am

thanks lori (and again chuck);
i came across "ultimate weapon" on scribd, a collection (anthology, as chuck recalled as the source?)?
i would not be suprised if it was a diff author?
no matter, sheckley is fun and thoughtful.
follow your bliss,mike

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:41 pm

Wikipedia rips Google a new one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Google

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:00 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:I've tried to look it up, but the internet search was damned frustrating. When I finally got to where I could get either text or a title or synopsis, IT WAS IN FUCKING SPANISH!! All of it. Every link. Maybe one or two in Portugese. I tried translating it, but my computer maxed out. Picture someone with a blank stare, a little drool on their chin going "Geeg...geeg...geeg."

If I said it once, I've said it at least twice: robots are dorks.

I'll check at the local library tomorrow. They're closed on Mondays.

Chuck

Need help there, Chuck? I can help you out, for a small fee... :P

I kid, of course. Anything I can do?

K.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:31 pm

Kafkahead wrote:
Chuck Messer wrote:I've tried to look it up, but the internet search was damned frustrating. When I finally got to where I could get either text or a title or synopsis, IT WAS IN FUCKING SPANISH!! All of it. Every link. Maybe one or two in Portugese. I tried translating it, but my computer maxed out. Picture someone with a blank stare, a little drool on their chin going "Geeg...geeg...geeg."

If I said it once, I've said it at least twice: robots are dorks.

I'll check at the local library tomorrow. They're closed on Mondays.

Chuck

Need help there, Chuck? I can help you out, for a small fee... :P

I kid, of course. Anything I can do?

K.

*pounces on Kafka* Hey you! Glad to have you back!!!!!!! *knocking the wind out of the poor boy while gently planting him on his ass*

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Kafka, how you doin, young man?

Lori, his mother wants him to marry a wholesome girl. haha.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

I've been fine, Frank. How's the Army of Communist Ghosts you've been riling up lately? :P

Always Good to see some Invisible Comrades fighting for what is right and the people.

Lori: Back I am, and maybe for as long as possible. Have been playing with a hex map maker recently, something to spend my energies on. Otherwise, I'd be wasting them by moping about.

What's the fuss of the month?

K.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Frank: I'm old enough to be his mother, so lets just leave that one alone!

Kafka: The place hasn't been the same since you've been gone. Glad you've found something that keeps ya from moping around. I was worried about that for a bit, as you well know.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 am

Lori Koonce wrote:Frank: I'm old enough to be his mother, so lets just leave that one alone!

Kafka: The place hasn't been the same since you've been gone. Glad you've found something that keeps ya from moping around. I was worried about that for a bit, as you well know.

Not the same? What do you mean? I'm not exactly the life of the party, you know. More likely, I'm the life support, booping and beeping like a robot while I try to keep the life of a party linger around for some time before it dies and the lights go out. But I'm straying here. How's everyone been?

K.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:49 am

Kafkahead wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:Frank: I'm old enough to be his mother, so lets just leave that one alone!

Not the same? What do you mean? I'm not exactly the life of the party, you know. More likely, I'm the life support, booping and beeping like a robot while I try to keep the life of a party linger around for some time before it dies and the lights go out. But I'm straying here. How's everyone been?

K.

We need the perspective of someone your age around these parts. I can only speak for myself but it helps keep me grounded.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 am

Hi, Kafka! Actually, I'm going to the library today (I'm on vacation! Hooray!). I hope I can get the info I need. If you want to see what I'm talking about, type "eeful beeful box" into whatever search engine you use and maybe Robert Sheckley.

Nice to see you in these here parts. I don't use Facebook as often as I used to. Feel free to stick around.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:54 am

I see that Kaddafi (Quaddaffi? Quackser Fortune?) is nowhere to be found. Here's my theory:

I think he and his staff have escaped in an advanced interplanetary spacecraft, headed for parts unkown, everyone in suspended animation.

KHAAAANNNNN!!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Chuck Messer wrote:I see that Kaddafi (Quaddaffi? Quackser Fortune?) is nowhere to be found. Here's my theory:

I think he and his staff have escaped in an advanced interplanetary spacecraft, headed for parts unkown, everyone in suspended animation.

KHAAAANNNNN!!

Chuck

Obama dose have a kind Kirk quality about him, dosen't he Chuck?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Over at the other place Frank wrote

Jerry Leiber, a genius of simplicity. Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, On Broadway, Stand By Me, Love Potion Number 9, Chapel of Love, Tell Him, she cried...

Wow, a loss. Elvis is not Elvis without him and Mr. Stoller.

I share your admiration for Mr Leiber. However I feel it is my duty to point out that since Mr Leiber and Mr Stoller did not perform, and did not record, their sole source of income was the money they made from royalties off their copyrights for the songs they wrote. These are perfect examples of the sort of folks who would be hurt if we diminished or eliminated copyrights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dALKV06TKek
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:16 am

Kafka! Great to have you back!

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:29 am

I don't know much about you, and don't know you very well overall, Kafka, but I sense you may have similar obstacles as I. Even if you don't, thumbs up to you. If this group holds you in this much regard, you are obviously a person of substance, and someone to be respected.

SAm.
(or maybe you know me by my nom de guerre: Amanda B. Reckonedwith)
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

Return to “General”